Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scooter advice please

• 14-12-2008 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey folks.

Well I’m thinking of buying a scooter in the New Year so I just wanna start the hunt now. I don’t have a history of riding bikes bar racing around a Honda 50 or two as a youth around the fields.
    I’d like to get a Vespa or Honda shadow or something of the likes.
    Basically I’m open to all advice, what to buy? Where to buy? What price should I expect? What’s reliable (I’m not worried about maintenance as my father is a good mechanic)
    I’d probably be purchasing in Dublin. Am I better off going to a dealer as if I went to a private sell I wouldn’t know what I should be looking out for?

All advice welcome! Cheers lads!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

I got a scooter in September as I was going back to college for a year. The company car had to go back, driving to college would take 55 mins, public transport anout 70 mins: the scooter takes less than 20, driving like a normal person, not like a lune.

I have a full A1 and had decided to get a 50 or a 100cc, but got a 125 (124) in the end. I'm glad I did as it is heavier than a 50cc and in strong winds it is still stable (I need to be able to drive it all winter).

I got a scooter rather than a bike as it is a "twist-n-go": no gears, no clutch, push-bike type breaks: easy stuff. Legs are less exposed as they have some protection from the wind in the foot well. I got a big box (35L?) for all my stuff and still can put a 2nd rucksack on the shopping-bag clip in the footwell.

I got mine form megabikes where the staff were (and still are) very helpful and knowledegable, if a little curt at times.

They had a good deal on a 125 Suzuki back then, it might still be available. I had a look at Vespas but the excess cost just to get a cool badge didn't add up. I also avoided some of the very cheap no-names as I needed something reliable, I don't have access to a mechanic. There was nothing 2nd hand available from dealers and I wouldn't buy 2nd hand from private even with a mechanic to test it out, I could have saved about E200-300, but just not worth the risk. I was interested in the "green" scooter, but didn't have E6,000.

I was surprised how quickly I remembered to drive (again only other experience was from holidays in Greece). First 2 weeks I was dead careful, then got a bit cocky, then calmed back down again.

There's only 2 options for insurance Quinn & AON. Quinn are best for starters, but people say after a year or 2 you go back to AON for a better deal, will need to check this out.

I'm thrilled I got the bike, it saves me about 6 hours per week and at the weekend I can for for small shopping without having to take the wife's bus.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more specific questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I keep saying it but the Honda Innova is worth a look if you ever feel like stepping up to a fully manual bike in time. Check it out here:http://www.phmotorcycles.co.uk/bikes/honda-anf125-innova.html

Scooters are dead handy though so best of luck with whatever you get. If you can afford to it would be recommended to get lessons, can't afford them yet myself but look into it as it could save your life.

Always remember that you will fall on the same tarmac as the guy next door on his Ducati...what I'm saying is buy protective gear like a jacket with armour in it, gloves are essential, make sure your helmet has all the relevant safety standards (and don't ever drop it or let others mess with it as it may not be as good in a crash then) and on top of all that enjoy it!

As for reliability, Honda are probably the best but seeing as your Dad's good with his mechanics have a look aroeund all makes and go private if you like, your Dad would be a help as he'd see obvious faults.

Insurance for me on the Innova (which is 125cc) was €600 from Quinn but that's third party only. I was quoted over €2000 by AON!!!

Tax is about €50 I think, nothing to worry about really.

In Dublin, check out Cotters Motorcycles for bargains (never been myself but their website is good, look it up) and Lee Honda in Cork have served me well whenever I've been in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If you looking for a Vespa check out these guys www.scooterisland.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Ya scooterisland is your best bet for a scooter.
    Get a vespa :D

Advertisement