Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Grooming

Options
  • 14-12-2008 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking for a cat groomer in the west of Ireland, Galway/Mayo area preferably. I know there are lots of dog groomers, but so far haven't found anyone who does cats. She is a Persian Long Haired who has developed some big mats. I don't want to try at them myself for fear of hurting her. I have tried and it's just too stressful for her and me!
    Any help gratefully appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't know of cat groomers, sorry - but this is what I do for my long haired guy when he gets matts.

Wait till he's relaxed and sleepy on the couch beside me, and VERY gently, using my fingers, pull at end of the matted hair - pulling it apart - ie just v. slowly loosening up the matt. Work from the bottom of the hair, up to the top. It will often just loosen up completely, and then I get a slicker brush and gently brush through.

I also have one of those rubber brushes and give him a rub with that every few days, to pull out the loose hairs.

Sometimes the hair is too knotted up to be unmatted, so I just chop out the matt with a sissors. :D With the long hair - you don't really notice the bit thats been chopped out. Just make sure to only do it when he's sleepy as you don't want him moving and getting hurt with the sissors.

If he sees what I'm doing though - he always looks really offended! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

As your vet if they will do it for a small charge. My maine coon didn't loose his winter coat last summer and the hair around his flanks was knotty like crazy. I'd brush him and they would be back again the next day! Our vet brushed him out with a flea comb. Hold the piece of hair at the root, as close as pos to the skin and gently ease it out. once u get the knots removed you'll have to brush him everyday pref with a slicker brush, i think they r the best for persians.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NYCityBabe

Thanks guys!

MsFifers - I've tried in vain to loosen them out, they just seem too hard. I also have cut some out with scissors, but most are so close to the skin I'm terrified of cutting her. She is just so lively and hyper it's too dangerous with the scissors! She's not yet a year old, so I guess it's the baby in her!

Themadhouse - I think the vet may be my only option. I hope she won't have to be sedated though. She never had a matt until her spay op when I couldn't groom her for 11 days post surgery. Now she hates being groomed as the matts just hurt her.

Advertisement