Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spud choices with Christmas Dinner

• 14-12-2008 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I know everyone has their own traditions with Christmas dinner however I was wondering what the norm is in terms of the humble spud. I was just discussing with my boyfriend who just has roast potatoes and thinks its crazy to have more than one type...

We always have both mash and roast potatoes, and I think this is an absolute must! Though they both hail from the same humble veg, they have vastly different charasteristics and both bring unique and wonderful things to the Christmas feast.

Mash... hmmm mash... is all about that smooth texture- ideal for soaking up delicious gravy, and generally being the ultimate comfort food...

Roasties on the otherhand are all about that unique crunch and then the floury steaming centre.

I dont know which I prefer but I definately think both should be part of the excesses of the christmas feast.

What do other boarders feel about this? Do ye stick religiously to 'one potato' choice at Christmas or are you believers in the 'best of both worlds' school of thought on this one?

Hmmm Christmas dinner.... :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 130r

Ive little experience but practice for Christmas suggests that steamed Golden wonders a a good base for both roasters and buttery mash. Great flakiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We have four kinds of potatoes with Christmas dinner. Mashed. roasted, very naughty creamy potato dauphinoise and potato croquettes.

Its my favourite part of the meal.

Im hungry now :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mashed, roasted and croquettes here !

Having less than 2 types of spuds means that it's not really Christmas Thumpette.

It's clear to me now that the relationship between you and your boyfriend will never work out. Ask for this thread to be moved to PI and we can sort out this mess there. I can't promise that we can save what remains of your love-life but we'll do our best to get you back on the rails again.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Creamy mashed and roast here.... but the potato quality this year is not good due to the soggy ground they sat in - has anyone found good potatos for roasties recently? If so pls share!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Mash and roasties. Get a mouli for mashilicious spuds!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mash and roasties too. I'd do that with any roast dinner, not just Christmas. My boyfriend came to stay recently and I made a sunday roast with both, and he just thought I was mad to include mash. I'd be lost without it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mash and roasters. Plus croquettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

muckety wrote: »
    Creamy mashed and roast here.... but the potato quality this year is not good due to the soggy ground they sat in - has anyone found good potatos for roasties recently? If so pls share!

I bought 4kg of Roosters in Aldi recently and I have to say, they've been lovely. Just the right amount of flouriness without disintegrating completely.

A good tip for roasters is after you've drained the spuds, return them to the pot, throw a tablespoon or two of semolina in on top of them, then put the lid on and give the pot a good, vigorous shake - it'll roughen up the edges of the potatoes, which will give you that nice crispy edge when you roast them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We'll have buttery mash and roasties cooked in goose fat. This year we might make croquettes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I'm with you Thumpette!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Thanks everyone- think thats my point well and truelly proven! I'm just glad i'm going to my mum's for a potato-tastic chrimbo and not going to the boyfriends for Famine 2nd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ponster wrote: »
    Mashed, roasted and croquettes here !
    +1, and boiled sometimes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Roast spuds, croquettes and potato stuffing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Interesting that so many people have more than one type of spud! But then I think it's strange that people have two types of potato at carveries too...We only have roasters. If you do them right, that's all you need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

We have roast spuds, boiled spuds and potato stuffing! cant beat the auld spud!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i'll ask my mum, shes cooking for 15, but i'll be pushing for roasted and mash, since i'll probably be pealing them and all the other vegetables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Thumpette wrote: »
    I know everyone has their own traditions with Christmas dinner however I was wondering what the norm is in terms of the humble spud. I was just discussing with my boyfriend who just has roast potatoes and thinks its crazy to have more than one type...

We always have both mash and roast potatoes, and I think this is an absolute must! Though they both hail from the same humble veg, they have vastly different charasteristics and both bring unique and wonderful things to the Christmas feast.

Mash... hmmm mash... is all about that smooth texture- ideal for soaking up delicious gravy, and generally being the ultimate comfort food...

Roasties on the otherhand are all about that unique crunch and then the floury steaming centre.

I dont know which I prefer but I definately think both should be part of the excesses of the christmas feast.

What do other boarders feel about this? Do ye stick religiously to 'one potato' choice at Christmas or are you believers in the 'best of both worlds' school of thought on this one?

Hmmm Christmas dinner.... :D
    many years ago i spent christmass on a large passenger liner sailing to south africa-the cheff made [with the turkey] a fried potato which he called garfield potatoes it consisted of potatoes cut into small squares and fried , the nicest thing about them is that they are allways evenly cooked and brown,and when you pour on the gravy mmmmm

Advertisement