Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misogyny unchecked in AH 'Try to rape' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

what if dick roche gets raped. does that get banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd imagine castration is far worse than rape. Don't see anyone campaigning to stop comments about it.

Bambi wrote: »
    So if rape jokes are verboten ... then a dead dick roche probably didn't violate any sacred cows.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    well then you didn't get the joke tbh
    Why wouldn't I get the joke? That joke "what did the deaf, dumb and blind kid get for Christmas? Cancer" (much hysterical laughter at this point no doubt) - what's to get? "Heh heh, the kid got a load of sh1tty ailments... and here's another one! Plus, it's really outrageous!"
    I get it. Can I find it nasty and obnoxious into the bargain? Don't see why not... And subject matter aside, it's not even witty.

Oh and if a person gets upset about their football team being mocked, that person would want to lighten up. If a person gets upset about a child rape joke - even if their child was never raped - that person shouldn't feel any obligation whatsoever to lighten up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Dudess wrote: »
    Why wouldn't I get the joke? That joke "what did the deaf, dumb and blind kid get for Christmas? Cancer" (much hysterical laughter at this point no doubt) - what's to get? "Heh heh, the kid got a load of sh1tty ailments... and here's another one! Plus, it's really outrageous!"
    I get it. Can I find it nasty and obnoxious into the bargain? Don't see why not... And subject matter aside, it's not even witty.

Oh and if a person gets upset about their football team being mocked, that person would want to lighten up. If a person gets upset about a child rape joke - even if their child was never raped - that person shouldn't feel any obligation whatsoever to lighten up.

so what you are saying is that if someone says something that is offensive to you, then it is offensive, and if something says something that isn't offensive to you, then it isn't offensive?

Offensiveness is objective, and obviously different people take offense at different things. So who gets to decide what's offensive for everyone? Do we just guess at what would be offensive to most people?

Say, for example, someone does take offense at a football joke (seeing as that's the example we seem to be using). Is their offense any more or less felt than someone who takes offense at a baby-raping joke? Should we ignore their offense just because it's felt by less people? Or should we ban any comment that anyone reports as being offensive? and if not, then we are back to the original question - who gets to decide which posts are offensive? That's where the south park line comes into it. Either everything is (potentially) offensive, or nothing is.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Offensiveness IS subjective (well, to a point) and just like people fight for their right to laugh at dead baby jokes, those who don't find them funny have every right to say so without being belittled and told to lighten up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

But do people have the right to insist that their sensitivities are the norm and must be upheld by everyone else?

Again, no. They just have a right to find the "jokes" obnoxious without being accused of humourlessness etc.

that's a very fair point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Bambi wrote: »
    But do people have the right to insist that their sensitivities are the norm and must be upheld by everyone else?

I would say that the answer here is yes and not no as Dudess replied (IMHO). The society we live in and the morals associated with this society determine what the 'norm' is.

You may believe that your opinion about something something is correct but it doesn't mean that it's actually right if it doesn't comply with todays moral code.

• Advertisement

Again, no.

So we can stick a fork in this thread now. As you were AH.

Ponster wrote: »
    I would say that the answer here is yes and not no as Dudess replied (IMHO). The society we live in and the morals associated with this society determine what the 'norm' is.

You may believe that your opinion about something something is correct but it doesn't mean that it's actually right if it doesn't comply with todays moral code.

thirty years ago we ignored child abuse by the church because societys morals meant criticism of the church was verboten. The PC crusaders now are no different to the church back then they just want their sacred cows to be upheld by everyone else.

todays moral code is just a reflection of the value system of whichever section of society holds sway over the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

But simply because some one is offended by a comment on rape does not make them part of the 'pc brigade'
    people have a right to their opinion without judgement.

the report button is there, use it! If you dont use it, you cant expect the moderators to read your mind. It only takes a few seconds, there is no excuse in not utilising the function.

dont assume action will be taken just because you report a post.

however, do assume that if enough people report a post or a particular users posts are constantly attracting reports from a variety of members (and not 1 or 2 crusaders with a grudge) that the moderators will see the pattern form, make a decision, and act on it.

Again, no. They just have a right to find the "jokes" obnoxious without being accused of humourlessness etc.

No. That's not a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

But simply because some one is offended by a comment on rape does not make them part of the 'pc brigade'
    people have a right to their opinion without judgement.

People do get confused between PC and politeness. A PC action would be to close down a thread on say mathematical differences in ability between men and women. That would be a curtailment of free speech, since it can be a rational academic argument. One way or t'other. Rape jokes are impolite. This being mixed company n' all.

like the difference between being at a pub, or a dinner party, with mixed and unmixed company. Rape jokes would be frowned upon in unmixed company, but would be utterly taboo in mixed company, and I assume the defenders on this forum wouldnt do it. We all accept there are different levels of offence in different social situations..

Kold wrote: »
    No. That's not a right.
    Well then it's not a right to laugh at rape jokes. Has to work both ways...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think the point Kold is making is that while you may have the right to find them obnoxious, you don't have the right not be called humourless, which is probably fair enough.

Personally I wouldn't think someone who finds rape jokes offensive is humourless, but meh, if you can complain about a joke, I suppose people should be able to complain about your complaint...... then maybe I can complain about someone's complaint about your complaint. :D

javaboy wrote: »
    I think the point Kold is making is that while you may have the right to find them obnoxious, you don't have the right not be called humourless, which is probably fair enough.

Personally I wouldn't think someone who finds rape jokes offensive is humourless, but meh, if you can complain about a joke, I suppose people should be able to complain about your complaint...... then maybe I can complain about someone's complaint about your complaint. :D

This is it and describes 99% of interaction in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you said and i quote "I find them nasty and malicious.". if you find them nasty and malicicous then you didn't get the joke because there is no nastiness or maliciousness intended. because it's a joke
    in your opinion. there are a great many people in the world who have no sense of humour whatsoever about their football team and will become violent against anyone who insults it. everyone's different which is why i don't think that one particular person's view of what they think is obviously offensive should be taken as the rule of what's ok to joke about and what isn't

so i say to you: lighten up. my opinion of what's offensive and unacceptable as a joke is different to yours and i don't find rape jokes particularly offensive. you see the problem here?

you absolutely have the right to find the jokes obnoxious. my objection comes when people start trying to force their moral code on others trying to stop them saying something because their particular value system disapproves

to quote Voltaire: "I don’t agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

• Advertisement

ok - but you accept that we cannot and should not ban or censure people from complaining about rape jokes? therefore by definition you accept that we cannot and should not ban or censure people from making rape jokes. It has to work both ways, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sam, a bit of advice..
    Never ever ever, tell a woman to 'lighten up'
    By saying that, you trigger a switch in their head that normally lays dormant and only gets activated every month or so. This switch turns on the 'cut his fcuking penis off' mentality.

This is a fact. I read it on wikipedia

Absolutely correct.

When you post on a thread you are really at the mercy of the regular participants and the mods.

Its not really a democracy - more a benovolent dictatorship -with some dictators more benevolent then others.

snyper wrote: »
    Sam, a bit of advice..
    By saying that, you trigger a switch in their head that normally lays dormant and only gets activated every month or so. This switch turns on the 'cut his fcuking penis off' mentality.

Jeez - I must be like a cat with nine lives and thats just today

CDfm wrote: »
    Absolutely correct.

When you post on a thread you are really at the mercy of the regular participants and the mods.

Its not really a democracy - more a benovolent dictatorship -with some dictators more benevolent then others.

it's the same with everything - what you say is judged and reacted to by the people around you. Nothing different just because it's the internet, you get the good with the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sam, a bit of advice..
    Also included in this are the words, "Chill out", "Relax", and "just stop worrying about it".

seamus wrote: »
    Also included in this are the words, "Chill out", "Relax", and "just stop worrying about it".
    I am going into hiding:eek:

Sam, a bit of advice..

to be fair i was just quoting her use of the term but.....here i am trying to use logic. what a fool!!! EVERYBODY FLEE!!!!

see? a joke. not mysoginism :P

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    to be fair i was just quoting her use of the term but.....here i am trying to use logic. what a fool!!! EVERYBODY FLEE!!!!

see? a joke. not mysoginism :P
    say it aint true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

You all forgot the nuclear option

"you're overreacting"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement