Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misogyny unchecked in AH 'Try to rape' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All of which a dismissive of what the person is feeling and making less of them and thier judgement which is patronising which is what gets you into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on circumstances tbh Thaed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Exactly, some people are overreacting. It's not anyone's civil duty to make sure everyone is happy with the way that their concerns have been dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

/\ /\ /\
    What he said.

Someone could say that to me, and in most contexts and tones I would never dream of taking offense.

You're being too emotional
    /Hides behind Seamus
    /Shouts "Come forth and save me, burly protector!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Thaedydal wrote: »
    All of which a dismissive of what the person is feeling and making less of them and thier judgement which is patronising which is what gets you into trouble.

we're only dismissive of what the person is feeling because they're being silly over emotional women :P

too far?

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    we're only dismissive of what the person is feeling because we are arrogant insensitive brash men :P

FYP

Basically it comes down to respect and having consideration for your fellow poster no matter what their gender. DeVore has said that being civil is one of the unwritten site rules.

Seriously time to think what Bill and Ted would say and so.
    "Be Excellent to one another".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Seriously time to think what Bill and Ted would say and so.
    "Be Excellent to one another".

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you" is a bit wordy all right. :D
    Now getting back on topic, what changes to the AH charter would people suggest to keep a reasonable balance of shiny happy people? If perceived mysogyny is driving people away from the forum, what would you change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

onewoman wrote: »
    Why are misogynistic jokes in the above thread going completely unmoderated?

Why the hypocrisy?

The anti-women comments create an exclusionary and threatening atmosphere in a forum that's meant to be open to everyone to enjoy.

Just wondered if the OP s views are still the same.

FYP

i liked my version better :(

javaboy wrote: »
    "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" is a bit wordy all right. :D
    Now getting back on topic, what changes to the AH charter would people suggest to keep a reasonable balance of shiny happy people? If perceived mysogyny is driving people away from the forum, what would you change?

I don't think that charter needs to be changed I do think the mods needs to step up and try deal with it when it happens swiftly as possible.

I would like to hope that fact that some of them have asked that people who are offended to report post in this thread will mean that more people will
    instead of thinking there is no point and that AH is just a no go zone for most most posters who are female and if they don't like it tough shít.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

*searches internet for videos of women making rape jokes*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

*searches internet for videos of women making rape jokes*

To prove what? Showing that one woman can make or take rape jokes doesn't mean that no woman (or man) is entitled to find them offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

instead of thinking there is no point and that AH is just a no go zone for most most posters who are female and if they don't like it tough shít.

ah the old passive aggressive approach to wanting everyone to adopt your values. Nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It has been long in evidence that AH accepts misogynistic comments. It may be more suitable to start a new forum for misogynists or rename After Hours Pussy Envy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

It has been long in evidence that AH accepts misogynistic comments.
    Its the nature of the AH forum that it is more confrontational than other forums and will push the boundaries of various sensibilities people will hold.
    People know this, but perhaps it is a pity they don't have to explicitly enable access to it for their account (for example the first time your account navigates to it you get a warning of the nature of the forum and its content). Easy to suggest, not so easy to implement I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Its the nature of the AH forum that it is more confrontational than other forums and will push the boundaries of various sensibilities people will hold.

So why isn't racism allowed?

Its all hatred directed towards a specific group of people, why one and not the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It has been long in evidence that AH accepts misogynistic comments. It may be more suitable to start a new forum for misogynists or rename After Hours Pussy Envy.

Christ what is it with people assuming an irreverant sense of humour=virginity and misogyny.

Silverfish wrote: »

Its all hatred directed towards a specific group of people, why one and not the other?
    Racism for racisms sake isn't allowed, as is the same for comments on misogyny, cripples. That's the point here.
    The moderators have to look at the content of the post and determine the premise for it, is it to be humorous, is it to open comment on the topic.
    Language by its nature is flexible and open to interpretation.
    The moderators have to use their judgement which will not always match yours. If you feel a post is without merit then comment on that, rather than trying to establish your "sacred cow".

Racism for racisms sake isn't allowed, as is the same for comments on misogyny, cripples. That's the point here.
    The moderators have to look at the content of the post and determine the premise for it, is it to be humorous, is it to open comment on the topic.
    Language by its nature is flexible and open to interpretation.
    The moderators have to use their judgement which will not always match yours. If you feel a post is without merit then comment on that, rather than trying to establish your "sacred cow".

No, I'm not trying to establish my "sacred cow"

I'm saying that comments containing hatred towards black people were removed from that thread, yet comments containing hatred and crimes towards women were allowed.

Just not really seeing why one is, and one isn't.

Especially with boards.ie becoming more commercial now, I don't think its a road boards.ie should be on, personally.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've already said that if this post was aimed at a man, black person or any other rave or minority I wouldn't have acted on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm convinced, and I aim this at no one in particular, that some members of this community want 600 odd forums run a la Personal Issues etc.

Isn't this place regimental enough, and have the AH mods not allayed enough concerns already?

edit: Serious question, I'm not being tongue in cheek here, for once :/

No, I'm not trying to establish my "sacred cow"

I'm saying that comments containing hatred towards black people were removed from that thread, yet comments containing hatred and crimes towards women were allowed.

Just not really seeing why one is, and one isn't.

Especially with boards.ie becoming more commercial now, I don't think its a road boards.ie should be on, personally.
    I'm not defending the thread in question, personally I didn't see any thing other than base crudity in it. I'm only objecting to the idea that certain 'topics' should be subjected to blanket ban on conversation be it racism or what ever. Much humour is derived from sensitive situations and its something that can easily cross the line. But that's not to say it should be censured completely.

I've already said that if this post was aimed at a man, black person or any other rave or minority I wouldn't have acted on it either.

Um.... sorry, without personal attacks or whatever, but this is from the same thread.
    You did act on it.

I'm confused now why you are saying you wouldn't have acted on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

A lot of you don't live in the real, I mean Real, world.

:(

because racism is hatred based on race and a joke is a joke regardless of the subject matter and doesn't involve hate in any way

a racist joke would be perfectly fine to me because there's a difference between being a racist and telling a racist joke

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Woah there! There is a big difference between ..

"Q. how do you stop 3 blackguys raping you
    A. Throw them a basketball"

and..

"Lets go around to the local black familys house and burn them out of their house because thedont belong here in white ireland"

The first would be an attempt at humour, laugh or not its whats called a joke.

The second is blaitant ignorant hate, and you can go to jail for it .

snyper wrote: »
    Woah there! There is a big difference between ..

"Q. how do you stop 3 blackguys raping you
    A. Throw them a basketball"

and..

"Lets go around to the local black familys house and burn them out of their house because thedont belong here in white ireland"

The first would be an attempt at humour, laugh or not its whats called a joke.

The second is blaitant ignorant hate, and you can go to jail for it .

So you'd tell the joke to a black guy?

yes i have done. why the hell not? it's only a joke.

would you tell a paddy irish man joke to an irish man?

edit:i also told haulocaust jokes to a german. he thought they were hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

Point Scoring.

We all win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This reminds me of this (the black guy's reaction bears noting):

edit:More b0rkage- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOO0l2r3uJ4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement