Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misogyny unchecked in AH 'Try to rape' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Silverfish wrote: »
    So you'd tell the joke to a black guy?

I have, as i tell chinkchinese jokes to my best mate, whos... yes you guessed it from China.

Sam Vimes wrote: »

edit:i also told haulocaust jokes to a german. he thought they were hilarious

Well he may well, but its the Jewish mans reaction is what you would want to gauge. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

snyper wrote: »
    Well he may well, but its the Jewish mans reaction is what you would want to gauge. ;)
    i'll give it a shot the next time i'm doing stand up at the wailing wall:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Okay well, shouted down, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i'll give it a shot the next time i'm doing stand up at the wailing wall:P

There's a "sacred cow" joke in there somewhere, I just know it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ah, more of that old passive aggresion, is there a manual on this somewhere :confused:

btw I think you have to use BOLD to shout on the interwebs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I'm convinced, and I aim this at no one in particular, that some members of this community want 600 odd forums run a la Personal Issues etc.

Fúck no i'd get bored and be banned from too many places.
    Isn't this place regimental enough, and have the AH mods not allayed enough concerns already?

edit: Serious question, I'm not being tongue in cheek here, for once :/

Thing is this is an on going re occurring issue with one forum.
    Personally I would love to think that we would not need another feedback issue on this.

Myself and Sliverfish are far from shrinking voilets who are not used to lads being lads and sure this place sprung form online games and their communities but it's not that any more. Hell AH wasn't as bad as what it is in regards to the mysogyny going back 5 year hell 3 years ago.

It seem that with the % of female posters increasing on this site the boys have not like it and have tried to carve AH out as thier own and will say if you don't like it then don't post there and get back in the kitchen and while you are there try get the sand out of your vagina.

Well fúck that tbh.

Bambi wrote: »
    ah, more of that old passive aggresion, is there a manual on this somewhere :confused:

Are you just trying to start a row or what? Her posts were on topic as was Thaed's earlier. I didn't read much passive aggression into either of them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Um.... sorry, without personal attacks or whatever, but this is from the same thread.
    You did act on it.

I'm confused now why you are saying you wouldn't have acted on it?

That's isn't the post this thread is about. I said that if the comment this thread is about (the woman beating one) was aimed at a black person then I wouldn't have acted on it. This isn't the same type of comment, they are two very different types of comments (I've said this before). The one you link to, there was no basis for the comment other than racial hatred or whatever.

The one this thread is about had some sort of reasoning for the comment. If the woman does this hit her twice as hard. The beat her twice as hard had nothing to do with it being a woman, it had to do with the act (using one of these devices). That's why I said I wouldn't have acted on the comment if it was aimed at a black person as I believe the beating part was to do with what the person did and not the fact the person is a [insert whatever here].

Whats with the attacks?

I'm just voicing my opinion and take on this, like everyone else did, why the aggression?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

i'll give it a shot the next time i'm doing stand up at the wailing wall

In Jerusalem,Sam Vines - rehearsing for his stand up - hears about an old rabbi who visits the Wailing Wall to pray, twice a day, everyday. As he has for 50 years. Sam watches the bearded old man at prayer; after a time he asks:

"What do you pray for?"

"I pray for peace between the Jews and the Arabs... Have been for 50 years!!"

"Hows that working out for ya?"

"Honestly, it's like talking to the ****ing wall."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Myself and Sliverfish are far from shrinking voilets who are not used to lads being lads and sure this place sprung form online games and their communities but it's not that any more. Hell AH wasn't as bad as what it is in regards to the mysogyny going back 5 year hell 3 years ago.

These comments are as valid as the old "x place was so much better years ago, it's shíte now" comments. Rose tinted glasses could probably account for most of it.
    It seem that with the % of female posters increasing on this site the boys have not like it and have tried to carve AH out as thier own and will say if you don't like it then don't post there and get back in the kitchen and while you are there try get the sand out of your vagina.

The last time there was a thread about this (the bitches one) a lot of female posters said it didn't bother them in the slightest and that if you didn't like it then don't post there. So it's not just the man telling you to get back in the kitchen. Also a comment like that could be construed as very misandrist.

istockphoto_5745167_panties_bunched_up.jpg

Unbunch them.

That was completely unneccessary.

But I'm sure you'll get your thanks quota, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I actually deleted it because I decided it was unnecessary after reading the following posts.

I hate when that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Whats with the attacks?

I'm just voicing my opinion and take on this, like everyone else did, why the aggression?

I'm not being aggressive nor am I claiming that anyone else is being aggressive towards me, as you have done twice now :confused:

Of late, I've noticed that many people who hold similar opinions to your's tend to use these sort of tactic's to deal with anyone who doesnt accept their viewpoint. That they are being victimised in some way when people disagree with them. I'm commenting on that.

I'm not being aggressive nor am I claiming that anyone else is being aggressive towards me, as you have done twice now :confused:

Of late, I've noticed that many people who hold similar opinions to your's tend to use these sort of tactic's to deal with anyone who doesnt accept their viewpoint. That they are being victimised in some way when people disagree with them. I'm commenting on that.

Twice? ...

You're just looking for a fight off me really. Shame.

Right, this is still in your post so there was no point deleting it.
    istockphoto_5745167_panties_bunched_up.jpg

Unbunch them.

No-one has been too harsh, and most of the posts have been a rational discussion. One in which the majority of participants have disagreed with you, but they didn't shout or bully you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Fúck no i'd get bored and be banned from too many places.

Like AH?

;)

Thing is this is an on going re occurring issue with one forum.
    Personally I would love to think that we would not need another feedback issue on this.

If that were indeed the case, I'd be the first one out there defending the downtrodden.

We could debate this ad infinitum, but I really think this smacks of people finding things to protest about.

This place has indeed changed (a read of posts/threads from just a few years ago uncovers all manner of tardism, much of which is from those who would now be deemed elder statesmen (or women) of boards). I for one reckon though, that under what is a fairly fluid remit (AH is one helluva grey area) the mods there generally apply common sense. In general, and in retrospect, I think that that is a policy that would be better served on other parts of the site too (not all, obviously-PI is PI and needs to be so, as an example).

I also believe that purging demons where none exist, and rampant accusations of bias, sexism, whatever, devalue genuine and merited complaints if and when they arise.

I have yet to see such an attitude prevalent or entertained in any meaningful way here, by either the mods or the users of any section thereof.

I have yet to see it in RL either, and I am, to use your term, no shrinking violet either.

I have to wonder how much of this attitude or assumption on the part of those who complain, is based on negative experiences they may have had, which itself, in casting a negative assumption on men as a whole, is both a stereotype and a form of discrimination in itself. (See, we could perpetuate this all night, as I say!)

Anyway, it seems today is the day for such issues to rear their head en masse, funny how Feedback gets like this from time to time. Last time it was Politics IIRC, before that, Soccer.

My two cents, which do not tally with yours-interesting discussion all the same, meandering though it has become.

No-one has been too harsh, and most of the posts have been a rational discussion. One in which the majority of participants have disagreed with you, but they didn't shout or bully you.

I didn't say I was bullied.

I said there were 4 or 5 blokes quoting each post I made, and shouting it down.
    I believe this is something that needs to stop here, and was trying my best to point it out, and say.... 'This needs to stop'

Not out of any attempt to stop your fun, but because I feel it is unfair to the increasing amount of female posters, several of whom will probably have suffered the very thing that is found so amusing, and because boards.ie is now such a large site, and has evolved way past a gaming forum.
    It is referenced and read by TV stations, news reporters, etc.
    A line needs to be drawn.

However, the majority in this thread have spoken, and rape jokes are fine.

/shrug.

It seem that with the % of female posters increasing on this site the boys have not like it and have tried to carve AH out as thier own and will say if you don't like it then don't post there and get back in the kitchen .

thats absolute horse shíte and doesnt even warrent a decent reply. We have a forum for conspiricys.

use it

• Advertisement

I believe this is something that needs to stop here, and was trying my best to point it out, and say.... 'This needs to stop'

Not out of any attempt to stop your fun, but because I feel it is unfair to the increasing amount of female posters, several of whom will probably have suffered the very thing that is found so amusing, and because boards.ie is now such a large site, and has evolved way past a gaming forum.

However, the majority in this thread have spoken, and rape jokes are fine.

/shrug.

You asked people would they tell black jokes to a black person. One replies saying they have and the other replies saying they tell chink jokes to their chinese friend. That isn't shouting down that's answering your question.

I didn't say I was bullied.

I know another bloke that happened to as well today, on Feedback. A lot of pointed thanks were made too, on both sides.

Perhaps another reason to disable them here as well.

Anyway, how do you know they were all male, and why would it be relevant?

Seriously (just clarifying SF, I'm not directing this at you alone), but Rosa Parks had a point and a valid cause.

Ye don't.

IMO.

You asked people would they tell black jokes to a black person. One replies saying they have and the other replies saying they tell chink jokes to their chinese friend. That isn't shouting down that's answering your question.

So can we post them in AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

snyper wrote: »
    thats absolute horse shíte and doesnt even warrent a decent reply. We have a forum for conspiricys.

use it

We have, didn't know you owned boards snyper

MooseJam wrote: »
    We have, didn't know you owned boards snyper

'we' as in the boards community.

no need to be pedantic.

Oh noes, they are rebutting my arguments!
    /claps hands to cheeks.

And what about people with cancer / people with AIDs/ the relatives of Katy French?

EDIT: Good chunk of post removed because I was thinking of someone else.

I know another bloke that happened to as well today, on Feedback. A lot of pointed thanks were made too, on both sides.

Perhaps another reason to disable them here as well.

It's another thread in itself but I'd say first of all that in some cases what you perceive as 'pointed' thanks are just people acknowledging agreement with a post without the need for "+1". Secondly if people are abusing thanks as a way of getting digs in at people and I know it does happen, then shouldn't the thanks facility be taken from that poster instead of everybody? I don't see why everybody should lose out on the feature because a few people can't play nice.

Anyway that's for another thread.

javaboy wrote: »

Anyway that's for another thread.

It is, and I agree with you, on further consideration.

Oh noes, they are rebutting my arguments!
    /claps hands to cheeks.

And what about people with cancer / people with AIDs/ the relatives of Katy French?
    Right after Katy French dies you went in swinging, poking her still warm corpse and making it clear that you didn't care about the possibility that her friends and family might read it.
    So rape jokes aren't ok, but mocking the newly-dead relatives of posters are, just because they are famous?
    Hypocrite much?

I don't make cancer jokes, Aids jokes, nor do I remember 'going in swinging' or 'poking her corpse'.....

I remember reporting posts at the time that shouldn't have been posted, and pointing out that several young women died in Ireland that day, but nobody gave a **** about them.

This thread was started by someone else re: comments in AH, not by me, and is not an excuse for you to drag me over the coals for every post I have ever made. If you want to start a feedback thread about me, go ahead, but try keep this one on topic, shall we?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We could debate this ad infinitum, but I really think this smacks of people finding things to protest about.

I have to wonder how much of this attitude or assumption on the part of those who complain, is based on negative experiences they may have had, which itself, in casting a negative assumption on men as a whole, is both a stereotype and a form of discrimination in itself. (See, we could perpetuate this all night, as I say!)

:rolleyes:

I like men, most of my best and closest friends are men, but I hate arseholes,
    not my fault you can tell the difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement