Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misogyny unchecked in AH 'Try to rape' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Silverfish wrote: »
    I don't make cancer jokes, Aids jokes, nor do I remember 'going in swinging' or 'poking her corpse'.....

I remember reporting posts at the time that shouldn't have been posted, and pointing out that several young women died in Ireland that day, but nobody gave a **** about them.

This thread was started by someone else re: comments in AH, not by me, and is not an excuse for you to drag me over the coals for every post I have ever made. If you want to start a feedback thread about me, go ahead, but try keep this one on topic, shall we?
    I just looked back at the posts that I had in mind (I wanted a some nice quotes to illustrate my point) - and then found that I had your posts mixed up with someone else's.

Sorry:o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't think that charter needs to be changed I do think the mods needs to step up and try deal with it when it happens swiftly as possible.

I would like to hope that fact that some of them have asked that people who are offended to report post in this thread will mean that more people will
    instead of thinking there is no point and that AH is just a no go zone for most most posters who are female and if they don't like it tough shít.
    So why isn't racism allowed?

Its all hatred directed towards a specific group of people, why one and not the other?
    You are both quite capable of complaining about mysogny here, but you can just as easily post in AH and make generalistaions about men.
    We're not going to stop you from doing that.

You want equality?
    There it is.

Just for the record, equality between women and men, blacks and white, English and Irish etc. does not mean that we all have to tie our tongues and pretent there is a not a difference in attitude, lifestyle, decisions etc. It means that we can all see the differences in each other and respect those differences.
    We can also make jokes about each other without the other person getting upset.

If you start a thread in AH about all men being beer swilling idiots, do not get upset when the thread is closed.
    It won't be closd because AH is a men's club. It will be closed because it is an obvious troll.

The odd joke here and there about men will not be deleted or infracted. All you have to do is make sure the joke is in context and is not a troll post.

This whole thing reminds me of the British and Irish thing.
    The British are supposed ot apologise for the sins of their fathers and the Irish are supposed to apologise for the sins of the IRA.

Neither is ever going to happen and men are not going to apologise for women being treated as second class citizens 100 years ago.

Just because white Americans gave reperations to black Americans doesn't mean we should all bow down and kiss the feet of every woman we encounter.

Political correctness will only get you so far.
    Acting like civilised human beings who have all the rights that men have will get you a lot more respect.
    Pulling out the misogyny card every time you see something you disagree with will end up with you being ignored. Try to keep it for the things that really matter and not some throw-away comment on an internet forum.

There are plenty of 'woman beats man' threads on AH and I don't see any of you (with the probable exception of thaed) bleating on about men's rights in those situations.

If you want equality, then act equal and stop picking the odd post that may be offensive to women.

snyper wrote: »
    Woah there! There is a big difference between ..

"Q. how do you stop 3 blackguys raping you
    A. Throw them a basketball"

and..

"Lets go around to the local black familys house and burn them out of their house because thedont belong here in white ireland"

The first would be an attempt at humour, laugh or not its whats called a joke.

The second is blaitant ignorant hate, and you can go to jail for it .
    Neither would be allowed in AH.

Fúck no i'd get bored and be banned from too many places.

Thing is this is an on going re occurring issue with one forum.
    Personally I would love to think that we would not need another feedback issue on this.

Myself and Sliverfish are far from shrinking voilets who are not used to lads being lads and sure this place sprung form online games and their communities but it's not that any more. Hell AH wasn't as bad as what it is in regards to the mysogyny going back 5 year hell 3 years ago.

It seem that with the % of female posters increasing on this site the boys have not like it and have tried to carve AH out as thier own and will say if you don't like it then don't post there and get back in the kitchen and while you are there try get the sand out of your vagina.

Well fúck that tbh.

Here you are making it sound like you are defenseless against the onslaught of male posters.

You're able to come here and make a stand. What's stopping you from doing the same in AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

:rolleyes:

I like men, most of my best and closest friends are men, but I hate arseholes,
    not my fault you can tell the difference.

I assume you mean "can't" :rolleyes: < See I can do it too...

And no need for the bitchiness, am I supposed to capitulate to rampant and ill advised feminism because I have a dick?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I just looked back at the posts that I had in mind (I wanted a some nice quotes to illustrate my point) - and then found that I had your posts mixed up with someone else's.

Sorry:o

I just hope people read past the unfounded accusations you made there as far as this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I didn't say I was bullied.

I'll get booted for going off topic at this rate but this is my point, and i'm actually bewildered that you dont seem to see this: You are implying that you're being bullied or picked on. you've appear to have personalised this whole argument so that anyone who disagrees is actually picking on you. :confused:
    Okay well, shouted down, fair enough.

quoting each post I made, and shouting it down.

Whats with the attacks?

why the aggression?

But I'm sure you'll get your thanks quota, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Terry wrote: »
    You are both quite capable of complaining about mysogny here, but you can just as easily post in AH and make generalistaions about men.

You want equality?
    There it is

perfectly put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

onewoman wrote: »
    A vicious racist remark early in the thread led to an instant band,

Is that how they form pop groups nowadays? Jesus, back in my day we had to audition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I assume you mean "can't" :rolleyes: < See I can do it too...

And no need for the bitchiness, am I supposed to capitulate to rampant and ill advised feminism because I have a dick?

Yup meant can't and I wasn't' being bitchy you were trying to say that those who complain about such posts are clearly victims of abuse and over sensitive or have such a skewed negative take on men as a result, and you sir are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Yup meant can't and I wasn't' being bitchy you were trying to say that those who complain about such posts are clearly victims of abuse and over sensitive or have such a skewed negative take on men as a result, and you sir are wrong.
    Thaed - Im with you here - you walk the walk and dont do gratuitous anti guy stuff

You are both quite capable of complaining about misogyny here, but you can just as easily post in AH and make generalistaions about men.

Actually if was to post hate filled mandrist bollix in AH I would expect to be called on it and banned from AH ( again).

A lot of posters are not as internet toughened as myself and Sliverfish and won't get into a debate here or call people on things in AH or even report the post cos they don't want the abuse or hassle.
    If you start a thread in AH about all men being beer swilling idiots, do not get upset when the thread is closed.

Nah I can do that in one of the forums I mod :)
    It won't be closd because AH is a men's club. It will be closed because it is an obvious troll.

Even handedness is all that is being asked for.
    Neither is ever going to happen and men are not going to apologise for women being treated as second class citizens 100 years ago.

This is not about history it is about the attitudes which are held today by people posting in AH and the attitude that such comments and posts are permissible and acceptable and that you dare not report posts or question it or be seen as a trouble maker, rabble rouser, prude of man hating bitch with no sense of humour.

Personally that stuff will make me shrug and think and so is yore ma,
    but ragging on women is not going to stop until the mods put their foot down and that is what we are asking.
    Political correctness will only get you so far.
    Acting like civilised human beings who have all the rights that men have will get you a lot more respect.
    Pulling out the misogyny card every time you see something you disagree with will end up with you being ignored. Try to keep it for the things that really matter and not some throw-away comment on an internet forum.

I don't pull out the misogyny card at the drop of a hat or a pair of knickers and if you think that this site has no impact at all on society then I think you have your head up your arse.

Look how big this place has grown and the number of young people who post here and it is going to get bigger and AH is the busiest forum on here.
    If you want equality, then act equal and stop picking the odd post that may be offensive to women.

IF there was parity then we would not have to point this out and report posts or put up with these types of feedback threads.

Here you are making it sound like you are defenseless against the onslaught of male posters.

Have you not seen how nasty things can turn in ah ?
    You're able to come here and make a stand. What's stopping you from doing the same in AH?

You really want me to take the gloves of in AH or are you just looking for me to get my 3rd ban from there ?

I should not have to go make a stand I should be able to report posts and expect the mods to take the action needed as should ever other poster on this site.

• Advertisement

Well, you equated me with being an asshole for having the temerity to enter the discussion. Not that that bothers me in the least.

I know exactly what I was trying to say, because I succeeded in saying it. I suggested that excessive feminism may have its roots in many cases in negative experiences at the hands of the male gender. That can involve, but is not limited to abuse of varying forms.

Well, you equated me with being an asshole for having the temerity to enter the discussion. Not that that bothers me in the least.

Nope I didn't, if I think you are an an arsehole its for other reasons :pac:

I know exactly what I was trying to say, because I succeeded in saying it. I suggested that excessive feminism may have its roots in many cases in negative experiences at the hands of the male gender. That can involve, but is not limited to abuse of varying forms.

oh right that old line of all feminists hate men, nope not me, not at all,
    but I still would not sleep with you sorry :p

But this isn't excessive feminism.

Its barely even feminism.

Its basically hey, if we can't have these type of jokes, can we please not have those type of jokes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Actually if was to post hate filled mandrist bollix in AH I would expect to be called on it and banned from AH ( again).

But that's the thing you wouldn't, no-one would (well it really depends on the situation but you get the point).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'm sure we could arrange an auction :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I should not have to go make a stand I should be able to report posts and expect the mods to take the action needed as should ever other poster on this site.

When you ignore all the social implications and agendas and dire warnings of impending doom then therein lies the crux of the problem. The mods should take the action that they see fit, not what you decide is "needed". You don't want the mods to be allowed to exercise their own judgment on this issue, presumably because it's a big issue for you and they aren't singing off the correct hymn sheet. And, frankly, shag that for a game of soldiers imo.

Nope I didn't, if I think you are an an arsehole its for other reasons :pac:

I'm at a loss to understand the negativity or the affected evasive aggression, but I'll try to soldier on :/
    oh right that old line of all feminists hate men,

No, actually. Many men hate feminists, however, what with them being as essential to modern society as shoe shine boys n' all.
    nope not me, not at all,

Thank God for that :p I am both bemused and grateful.

Catch you on the flip side sweet cheeks.

/pats arse.

I'm at a loss to understand the negativity or the affected evasive aggression, but I'll try to soldier on :/

That was humour.
    No, actually. Many men hate feminists, however, what with them being as essential to modern society as shoe shine boys n' all.

Well they I would say many men are misinformed about feminism and I have done my best on that front by taking part in several threads in AH. But hating feminism and feminist is not a good enough reason for the women hating posts in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It is a bit telling that all the girls seem to be on one side of the argument and the boys on the other. I'm not going to draw any "women can't take a joke" or "men are mysogynistic pigs" conclusions from that because it's clearly not as simple and clear cut as that. But there is obviously a general divide in how gender based jokes are perceived between men and women.

Most of us men haven't had the experience of being oppressed and I wouldn't have thought too many women here would have felt oppressed in any significant way nowadays but maybe I'm wrong and some people find sexism a little close to the bone and consequently not a valid subject for humour. Or maybe it's just a sensitivity issue where women are more likely to take offense at a joke than men (yes a generalisation but a fairly valid one). I don't know tbh.

Whatever the root cause behind some women finding what many people consider light hearted (if a little edgy) jokes offensive, the fact is they do. So where do we go from here? Maybe install another female mod to give a little feminine perspective (I'm beginning to have my doubts about that Tar one ;))?

As someone who posts in AH a lot, I wouldn't like to think of it as a boys club that women feel afraid to enter. I didn't think it was and still don't even after this thread but I can see the reasons why some people would think that it is. We all have to find a happy balance for the benefit of the forum so maybe a little bit of moderation and consideration from the people posting rape jokes etc. and a little bit tougher skin from the people who feel offended might just make the forum a little bit more enjoyable for all concerned.

Or whatever. This thread makes me sad. :(

On the positive side if nothing else good comes out of this thread, let it be held up as an example to anyone who trots out the "mods closing ranks" line or who whinges about a mods clique. :)

I respect your view the same as anyone elses, Thaedy :)

I also respect my own, and IMVHO, my opinion on feminism stands.

T'would be a boring world indeed if we all agreed, no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

T'would be a boring world indeed if we all agreed, no?

While I agree, I'm going to make things interesting and disagree with you.

While I agree butI'm going to make things interesting and disagree with you.

Please do ;)

While I agree, I'm going to make things interesting and disagree with you.
    Please do ;)
    Lads, Cop on and start arguing. :pac:

Oh and just to add to the feminism argument, I think I'll just head over to the tLL, begin campaigning for male rights.

I am an official Malinist. (Pitty it doesn't have the same ring to it as feminist)

Um, you're confusing feminism with misandry.

Oh and just to add to the feminism argument, I think I'll just head over to the tLL, begin campaigning for male rights.

I am an official Malinist. (Pitty it doesn't have the same ring to it as feminist)

Cool all for it, if I agree with what you are looking for I will happily help.
    Like the petition for the right to paternity leave which men do not have in this country.

Like the petition for right for paternity leave which men do not have in this country.
    whats a malinist?

equality in TLL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Like the petition for right for paternity leave which men do not have in this country.

Jesus Thaed, stop being such a fembot ;)

Kiera wrote: »
    Jesus Thaed, stop being such a fembot ;)
    whats a fembot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

CDfm wrote: »
    whats a fembot?
    Ask Snyper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement