Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belgian Plug Converter

Options
  • 15-12-2008 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I was not really sure were to put this, so this looked like the best place...

i need to get a socket conveter so that irish plugs can work in belgian sockets, i think they use the same as french...

any info on where to get these etc would be great, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Dublin airport, they sell them there all over the place! They are the same as the french.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leek

cheers... how much they cost around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

France and Belgium use a slight variant of normal "Schuko". Rather than having the earth on the ground clips on top and bottom, they have a pin that protrudes out of the socket.

Whatever converter you get, check that it has a hole on the front face, just above the two round pins.

Most do, and it should be fine!

All new European CEE 7/7 plugs also fit both French or German style sockets.

http://www.wrrs2007.org/content/user/Image/plug.jpg

that the plug/socket the belgians use?

anyone know a place around dublin i could get one, not dublin airport, as i dont want to chance getting it there incase they dont have them when im flying over.... cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

The "great outdoors" just off grafton st.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the French system as used in Belgium. There were loads of them in Dublin Airport yesterday. you can buy those adaptors in most big Tescos, Boots, Sam McCauly etc most big phramacies

You should just pick up a Schuko adaptor. it's highly unlikely that any of them won't fit French/Belgian sockets. CEE 7/7 is the de facto European standard plug, it fits either german schuko or French style sockets. It's the most widly used plug on the planet so it should be easy enough to find. The only places in Europe you need To deal with non CEE 7/7 sockets are: Ireland, the Uk, Malta and Cyprus all of which use bs1363 and Italy, Switzerland and Denmark all of which have their own national standards. EVERY other European country including the ex Soviet states use CEE 7/7

France/Belgium (also parts of Eastern Europe):
    prod_simon_pc16a.jpg
    (Earth is the pin sticking out of the socket)

"Schuko" (almost everywhere else)
    S1steckdose.jpg
    (Earth is the clips at the top and bottom of the socket)

CEE 7/7 Plug - fits both and has been standard for decades.

Euro%20Schuko%20CE%207%207%20plug.jpg

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture004kc0.jpg

just got that in powercity for 2 quid...

hopefully its the right one...

sorry for the all the questions, i just get ridiculously paranoid about these little things haha

Yup! that'll do it!

sound one! cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

power city have the converters, 2 euro each, am using one now in france as i type, as mentioned above Bel=Fra sockets

• Advertisement
Advertisement