Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra vision sold me rental only dvd

Options
  • 15-12-2008 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi.earliertoday i saw a pre owned dvd.i bring the box to the counter they go to the back and get the dvd.they put it in the bag.me happy with my dvd i didnt check the bag.i get home and notice its rental dvd.i assume i can return this without any problems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Xtravision have always sold old rental dvd's? This is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Yeah. Most of their stores have entire sections dedicated to selling off "pre-viewed" disks. I'm sure you can go back and return it for the value it's worth, but you'll be the one in a million who didn't notice on the box that it was a rental (check the back near the barcode, it should say "Rental copy only").

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kalona

Used to work in Xtravision...heres how it goes

New very popular DVD comes out for rental so obviously to back demand we would get at least 30 copies in!

As the weeks go by...film gets less popular and there is only a need for 5-10 copies in the store.

Rest are sold off obviously cheaper than normal..totally legit...case is also meant to be clearly mark.

Only thing wrong here that I can see, the staff member is meant to show the customer the DVD before purchase...then if you are satisfied with its condition you buy it but i suppose that more customer service!

If you have any issues with it you will have no problem returning it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Yer but isnt that breaking laws? Not that im one to talk about copyright (or sellyright?) mind you.

Haha, not that I know of, as long as its clearly mark i think its ok....never really looked into it, just gathered they wouldnt do it if it wasnt legal...kinda risking alot seen as tho they do it on a regular basis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

As far as I know films will come out for rental before being released for purchase and it's within this period that the dvd is unavailable to buy. I believe the video stores themselves pay around €60+ for the rentals so it wouldn't be feasible selling them on for a lot cheaper!

Samurai wrote: »
    As far as I know films will come out for rental before being released for purchase and it's within this period that the dvd is unavailable to buy. I believe the video stores themselves pay around €60+ for the rentals so it wouldn't be feasible selling them on for a lot cheaper!

Only exclusive rentals cant be purchased for a certain lenght of time, the rest are fine and generally they do be on the shelfs for in or around 2 to 3 months before they are sold off. And the €60+ figure im not too sure of but they are sold off cheaper than normal as they are "pre-viewed", the fact they have been rented out for the past few weeks would surely make a profit making it feasible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Ah yeah i just meant the low price they are reselling it for is near irrelivant when compared to the original price they paid.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Xtravision have alway6s sold x-rental dvd's, bring it back if you don't want it that much

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Anybody know if xtra vision rent older films out for 1 week for €3? I got a film out on Saturday and haven't brought it back but I'm almost certain its a one week rental. Does anybody know if they are doing this in their stores at the moment?

• Advertisement
Advertisement