Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let's talk about something...

• 15-12-2008 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Very quiet here of late...

Let's talk about summit Hitchhiker related...just for the craic of course...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I really can't be bothered, I mean here I am brain the size of a planet and you ask me to
    partake in crack? Do you think I need the stimulus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

mike65 wrote: »
    I really can't be bothered, I mean here I am brain the size of a planet and you ask me to
    partake in crack? Do you think I need the stimulus?

:p I was guessing someone would say that...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Well if you want to talk about hitchhikers and have time on your hands, why not do a comparison of the differences between the books and radio series. If you're really bored, you can also throw in the TV and film plots.

One thing that has been annoying me recently is this: there is a scene where Arthur presses a button and saves them all. Zaphod says "thanks earthman" and Arthur says "oh it was nothing" and he replies "oh was it, never mind so" and the plot carries on. I can't remember which version this was in, and what scene it was (there being so many of each). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Alternatively, we could talk about Zooey Deschanel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Alternatively, we could talk about Zooey Deschanel :D

I'm game :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

One thing that has been annoying me recently is this: there is a scene where Arthur presses a button and saves them all. Zaphod says "thanks earthman" and Arthur says "oh it was nothing" and he replies "oh was it, never mind so" and the plot carries on. I can't remember which version this was in, and what scene it was (there being so many of each). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Chapters 17 and 18 of the first book (I checked, I'm not that big a nerd :)) when the missiles from Magrathea were just about to hit the Heart of Gold. Arthur engaged the Infinite Imporbability Drive, which turned the misiles into a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias.

In other news, I got the complete radio series for Crimbo. WooHoo \o/ :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zaph wrote: »
    Chapters 17 and 18 of the first book (I checked, I'm not that big a nerd :)) when the missiles from Magrathea were just about to hit the Heart of Gold. Arthur engaged the Infinite Imporbability Drive, which turned the misiles into a sperm whale and a bowl of petunias.

Thanks for that. I think it was in the radio series too, but at a different part (if memory serves, it was when they are being chased by the Gulgafrinchans after stealing their car from the Resteraunt at the end of the universe (I think in the books they actually sole the ship that Disaster Area planned to fly into a star, hence the confusion).

If I can give you one piece of advice, do not operate any heavy machinery or mechanically propelled vehicle while listening to the tapes. In fact, you're probably best off locking yourself in a padded cell before, during and for 30 minutes after listening to each episode.

In other other news, I've stumbled upon a first edition of the first book, which I have absolutely no idea how I came into possession of. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Then the BBC radio version of the Lord of the Rings in 24 episodes has to be on your birthday list ;-)

ttm wrote: »
    Then the BBC radio version of the Lord of the Rings in 24 episodes has to be on your birthday list ;-)

The difference is that the radio version of LotR is a spin off from the book, whereas the books of HHG2G are a spin off from the radio series.

I don't know why the radio series is so much funnier than the books, but it is. After he's finished with the radio series he will realise why phrases like "Zaphod's just dis guy, you know" are so funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Simple - a brilliantly realised cast of voices and sound effects.

Then that's not suprising when at least one of the parts was written specifically with the actor who played the role in mind. http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Simon-Jones-(actor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Nope, absolutely zero interest in LOTR. Never read the books or seen the films, so I somehow doubt I'll be bothering with the radio series.

mike65 wrote: »
    Simple - a brilliantly realised cast of voices and sound effects.

You've gotta love Mark-Wing Davis!

There's more to it though, there's an energy to it because it was so completely new and unlikely everything else. The whole is greater than the sum of all of its parts.

Nope, absolutely zero interest in LOTR. Never read the books or seen the films, so I somehow doubt I'll be bothering with the radio series.

I'd have agreed with you but it was another one of those Radio 4 series that the BBC do so well. I started off listing to the first couple then couldn't miss the rest.
    You've gotta love Mark-Wing Davis!

There's more to it though, there's an energy to it because it was so completely new and unlikely everything else. The whole is greater than the sum of all of its parts.

Any relation to Mark Wing-Davey ;) Yet another member of the Cambridge footlights http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0934983/bio

Any relation to Mark Wing-Davey ;) Yet another member of the Cambridge footlights http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0934983/bio

Forgive me, it's been many's the year and good as he was, he's not exactly a household name (other than in houses that are decorated to look like the heart of gold that is).

Forgive me, it's been many's the year and good as he was, he's not exactly a household name (other than in houses that are decorated to look like the heart of gold that is).

Appologies here too. As you can see from the link I googled it to be sure;)

Advertisement