Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Benefits forum

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Cloud and admin

Can I please apply to be a mod of this forum? A few key facts first.
    One of the mods is a category mod and has few, few posts in the forum. The most effective mod Mrs.McGuyver is now gone and I gave a lot of advice but I see little advice or control from our current mods

I'm happy to subscribe to boards after 4 years of learning, any chance I can be mod of this forum.
    I've given nothing but helpful replies here. I'm fully aware any poster will search my history and there is one post in this forum I should not have made. And yes, a poster who asks to be mod should not be made mod,I know that rule. I'm an EO in that department ( if you don't know what an EO is you don't work there) and I hope I've given good advice so far

Flame me if you will :). Hey admin, can I be made an active mod of State Benefits forum?
    Many thanks admin & mods

Many thanks and I accept your decision , whatever that may be
    I only hope I can give good advice in the future. As I said, I know if you ask to be a mod.........But I can offer good advice and been here a while for sure.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mods aren't there to give advice or be good posters (it helps though), they are there to clean up the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

micmclo wrote: »
    Hi Cloud and admin

Can I please apply to be a mod of this forum? A few key facts first.
    One of the mods is a category mod and has few, few posts in the forum. The most effective mod Mrs.McGuyver is now gone and I gave a lot of advice but I see little advice or control from our current mods

I'm happy to subscribe to boards after 4 years of learning, any chance I can be mod of this forum.
    I've given nothing but helpful replies here. I'm fully aware any poster will search my history and there is one post in this forum I should not have made. And yes, a poster who asks to be mod should not be made mod,I know that rule. I'm an EO in that department ( if you don't know what an EO is you don't work there) and I hope I've given good advice so far

Flame me if you will :). Hey admin, can I be made an active mod of State Benefits forum?
    Many thanks admin & mods

Many thanks and I accept your decision , whatever that may be
    I only hope I can give good advice in the future. As I said, I know if you ask to be a mod.........But I can offer good advice and been here a while for sure.

I like the cut of your jib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mods aren't there to give advice or be good posters (it helps though), they are there to clean up the crap.

Hence why I address the post to admin and the site owners, not mods :) But mods are all important too and I respect all opinions :)
    State benefits forum is a mess and in these toughh times, it's gonna get worse.
    Here since 2004 and if I get shot down well then so be it, I'm offering to subscribe and work in the area and give mucho good advice. Search my history! I post a lot of muck in After Hours (who doesn't :D) but I give advice in State Benefits and this forum is going downhill, especially in this key time.

If Mrs. McGuyver was around, I wound not put my name forward but I don't see huge contributions from our current mods. I'm not saying they are poor but I'm not saying they are brilliant! Where is Mrs. Mc Guyver??

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have no idea as to how you would perform as a mod but you have been here for 4 years, have accumulated a substantial post count and if as you say you contribute well to the forum (and in the dept. to boot) then its a good start.

However 2 things have to happen. First of all it would have to established that the forum needs another mod and if it does then its usually the other forum mods (or ex mods) who recommend a user to appointed as a mod.

Maybe have a word with the forum mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

muffler wrote: »
    Maybe have a word with the forum mods.
    Yep, perhaps they're your first port of call.

Even though yes I do think you'd make a good mod, but tbh, it's a decision for the powers that be, and you will find that if they accept one mod request like this thread, they'll be bundled in with requests all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hi micmclo
    The Admins don't give out modships because someone asks.
    There is a procedure that's normally followed whereby the existing mod makes a suggestion if they are leaving. The Admins will take that into consideration when making their decision.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bear in mind that sometimes it's necessary to take a step back from a forum when you become a moderator too. You need to separate yourself as a moderator and as a poster, and that can sometimes take away some of the enjoyment of the forum. I'm not sure if that would really apply in a forum like State Benefits, but it's something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My advice would be to contact the current mods and express an interest in giving a hand. They can then decide if it's required and ask an Admin to add you.

If they do, you have my support/endorsement.

Advertisement