Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk Poster of The Year 2008

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭

I'm as jober as a sudge.

Drunk Poster of The Year 2008 12 votes

rmacm
    0% 0 votes
    bluedolphin
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Congrats rmacm, although we all saw it coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

heh, given how drunk he gets, thats the only thing that com...nm nm

>_>
    <_<

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Rigged I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Who the fuck voted for me?!?!?!?!?!??!?!? I was a placebo!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I gave you a vote for that post where you finished your exams and you claimed to rival me in the alcoholism stakes. Oh and the foot breaking story probably contributed to it too.

• Advertisement

rmacm wrote: »
    I gave you a vote for that post where you finished your exams and you claimed to rival me in my the alcoholism stakes. Oh and the foot breaking story probably contributed to it too.
    nettles > foot breaking tho ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

all these "polls" are very in house. Just like the Students Union. All very cliquey indeed. Like I mean whats the point in just nominating yourselves the whole time. Its a bit sad really.

dedon wrote: »
    all these "polls" are very in house. Just like the Students Union. All very cleeky indeed. Like I mean whats the point in just nominating yourselves the whole time. Its a bit sad really.
    aww...you cant really be in the running if you don't post.

catch22 i guess but cliquey? we're extremely welcoming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

all these "polls" are very in house. Just like the Students Union. All very cliquey indeed. Like I mean whats the point in just nominating yourselves the whole time. Its a bit sad really.

Hey, everyone had a chance to nominate someone and everyone who was nominated was included in the polls. As kai points out, you can't win if you don't post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Sure twas bound to happen given some of our involvements with the SU....cliques don't magically appear though, the complainers just exclude themselves by not getting involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

+1

If you're gonna complain about something, do something pro-active about it! Involve yourself in the forum if you think its too clique-y (Which it isn't imo, this forum embraces everyone and anyone who takes the time to post regularly here and there is some excellent advice given out here when requested)

all these "polls" are very in house. Just like the Students Union. All very cleeky indeed. Like I mean whats the point in just nominating yourselves the whole time. Its a bit sad really.

Never been involved in the SU so can't really comment on it.

But oh look here a thread where you could have nominated some one if you'd so desired.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437819

Oddly enough one of the rules was that you couldn't nominate yourself. The people who were nominated happen to be some of the more prolific contributers to the forum (drunk or not).

I'm pretty sure most people saw this as a bit of fun for the end of the year when a slight distraction from study and exams was needed, not as some kind of cliquey thing. There's nothing in the forum charter that forbids fun or topics that aren't soley for education purposes. I took Silenceisbliss to task with this type of thing before (I wasn't that nice about it admittedly and I should have apologised at the time, you can consider this a belated one if you read this). But I'm not sure if the way the forum is at the moment is doing any harm. There's always been a certain off topic nature in the forum and I think it would be a shame to lose that.

The forum also has it's fair share of threads that people have benefited from and I don't think there's any need to provide a collection of links to show this but I think a prime example is the Study Buddy Want[Need]ed thread. As far as I could tell people did benefit from it as well as gain a small bit of amusement.

As kaimera said you could have nominated some one for an award if you wanted. The opportunity was given we can't make you do it and if you didn't want to then why complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Awww. Someone didn't win an award :rolleyes:

What cson said.

cson wrote: »
    Hey, everyone had a chance to nominate someone and everyone who was nominated was included in the polls. As kai points out, you can't win if you don't post here.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Sure twas bound to happen given some of our involvements with the SU....cliques don't magically appear though, the complainers just exclude themselves by not getting involved
    cson wrote: »
    +1

If you're gonna complain about something, do something pro-active about it! Involve yourself in the forum if you think its too clique-y (Which it isn't imo, this forum embraces everyone and anyone who takes the time to post regularly here and there is some excellent advice given out here when requested)
    rmacm wrote: »
    Never been involved in the SU so can't really comment on it.

But oh look here a thread where you could have nominated some one if you'd so desired.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437819

Oddly enough one of the rules was that you couldn't nominate yourself. The people who were nominated happen to be some of the more prolific contributers to the forum (drunk or not).

I'm pretty sure most people saw this as a bit of fun for the end of the year when a slight distraction from study and exams was needed, not as some kind of cliquey thing. There's nothing in the forum charter that forbids fun or topics that aren't soley for education purposes. I took Silenceisbliss to task with this type of thing before (I wasn't that nice about it admittedly and I should have apologised at the time, you can consider this a belated one if you read this). But I'm not sure if the way the forum is at the moment is doing any harm. There's always been a certain off topic nature in the forum and I think it would be a shame to lose that.

The forum also has it's fair share of threads that people have benefited from and I don't think there's any need to provide a collection of links to show this but I think a prime example is the Study Buddy Want[Need]ed thread. As far as I could tell people did benefit from it as well as gain a small bit of amusement.

As kaimera said you could have nominated some one for an award if you wanted. The opportunity was given we can't make you do it and if you didn't want to then why complain?
    klong wrote: »
    Awww. Someone didn't win an award :rolleyes:

What cson said.

jesus people...overprotective cliquey much? ;)

Sh!t stir much? ;)

Eurgh, I was gonna go on a rant but I'm just not arsed.

UL board /= clique.

You being too shy/afraid/up yourself to post does not equal the UL board being cliquey.

You not being nominated for an award does not equal a clique. How can we nominate you if we don't know you are?

Everyone knowing each other this not make a clique either, it's called life. Get used to it.

Don't try and claim the board is cliquey if you've never made an attempt to get involved with it.

It just all fits very nicely with the SU and it always has. Saying I haven't posted is incorrect . I have contributed a bit over the year. Even if some of it was stirring shoite

It just seem a bit like " We are the only ones who post here - its our board and so on"

Anyone best of luck to all those involved in the awards :P

At a guess I'd have to say that only a minority of the posters here are involved with the SU in any way. Maybe 5 or 6 at most. Just because they post on a UL board doesn't mean it's SU affiliated. That board is over on the SU website.

Maybe if you stopped stirring shíte (your words) for a second and made some worthwhile contributions you might realise we aren't out to exclude anyone or tell everyone to surrender their will to the SU. If you only come on here to rile us up then we're obviously not going to turn around and be lovely to you. I can't speak for everyone but I find this board a great place to come to 'chill out' and I have no time for people who come on moaning about something they're never even gotten involved with and trying to wreck it for everyone else. If you've ever felt excluded you brought it on yourself by acting like a spoilt brat.

ergonomics wrote: »
    At a guess I'd have to say that only a minority of the posters here are involved with the SU in any way. Maybe 5 or 6 at most. Just because they post on a UL board doesn't mean it's SU affiliated. That board is over on the SU website.

Maybe if you stopped stirring shíte (your words) for a second and made some worthwhile contributions you might realise we aren't out to exclude anyone or tell everyone to surrender their will to the SU. If you only come on here to rile us up then we're obviously not going to turn around and be lovely to you. I can't speak for everyone but I find this board a great place to come to 'chill out' and I have no time for people who come on moaning about something they're never even gotten involved with and trying to wreck it for everyone else. If you've ever felt excluded you brought it on yourself by acting like a spoilt brat.

I have made some worthwhile contributions in this forum but the clique stuff really annoys me and I am sure many agree with me. So me coming on here giving a criticism of yer poll should be considered a contribution.

Its a valid point and I am sure a few agree with me on it.

It just all fits very nicely with the SU and it always has. Saying I haven't posted is incorrect . I have contributed a bit over the year. Even if some of it was stirring shoite

The SU has it's own forums, and I don't believe the original requestor of the forum had any involvement with the SU. You seem to be seeing something here that isn't the case at least as far as I'm concerned. There are a lot of people on the forum who have pretty much zero involvement with the SU aside from being in UL.

Yes you have contributed, no one said you didn't contribute. The awards thread was there for everyone to post in, you didn't so I there isn't much point in complaining or telling us we're a bit "sad". The fact remains that you could have posted in the thread and made some nominations if you'd so wished.
    It just seem a bit like " We are the only ones who post here - its our board and so on"

Anyone best of luck to all those involved in the awards :P

I think I can safely say the first point is not the case. There've been numerous new people who have posted here and judging by the various threads in the last while they've been made feel welcome.

Lol we're not actually getting anything out of this as I said in my earlier post it was supposed to be a bit of fun.

And now here I am getting dragged into an debate/argument again. In the spirit of the thread and the award perhaps I should have another drink :p

• Advertisement

I have made some worthwhile contributions in this forum but the clique stuff really annoys me and I am sure many agree with me. So me coming on here giving a criticism of yer poll should be considered a contribution.

Its a valid point and I am sure a few agree with me on it.

A few years ago I was of the same opinion as you- but not now. As ergonomics said, this is an unofficial board, its a place to vent, moan, have a laugh, whatever. Through this board people have gotten to know people, for others they knew each other before they began posting here. That's just the way it is.

Obviously the more you post on the board the more exposure you have, the better chance you have of being nominated for an "award". It doesn't mean anything. I mean, I post quite a bit here, didn't get a nomination. Couldn't care less. Some things in life are important- getting an "award" here isn't one of them.

klong wrote: »
    I mean, I post quite a bit here, didn't get a nomination.

That's cause you aren't part of our clique. Get the hint already.

This board has absolutely no affiliation with the SU whatsoever. Yes, I am a current sabbatical officer, but of the regular posters who contribute here I can honestly say the majority have little/no connection with the SU at all, so where you're getting that argument from I don't know. The SU has its own forum on its own website, but I will say this one is a lot better because that one is cliquey and an entirely SU-based gang post on it.

With regard to your overall grievance that these awards were cliquey themselves I think the others have come back on that one. I do recognise your username from posting in here, but perhaps not often enough to get to know your personality well enough to nominate you for a specific category. I don't think there was any malice or any exclusionary tactics underlying the original motive to have these polls; merely some end-of-year light-hearted banter during the exam period; good way to get people's minds off the books and have a break. Obviously the more posts you have in a certain board the better known you'll be. It's about letting people know who you are and what your opinions are...also, it's about familiarity. If people feel that they know someone they are more likely to have the craic with them (e.g. Cson and his pink underwear); for instance if you had been nominated for this particular poll in this thread, how would anyone know if it may have actually offended you in real life? And no one would want for that to happen. However, rmacm has often taken a jibe at his own drunken posting, as have I and the other posters are aware that we are comfortable with taking the piss about it. When I first started posting on this forum back in 2005 I knew absolutely no one at all... I have since gotten to know the other users, even in the real world, shock horror! I suppose I'm echoing what the others have said...so I'll shut up now.

. When I first started posting on this forum back in 2005 I knew absolutely no one at all... I have since gotten to know the other users, even in the real world, shock horror! I suppose I'm echoing what the others have said...so I'll shut up now.
    Shuddup, don't ya know we're all friends out to conquer tinternet:pac::pac:

Seriously though, I was the same, I even knew Sceptre for a whole year before I knew he was Sceptre.

ergonomics wrote: »
    That's cause you aren't part of our clique. Get the hint already.

I rest my case!! Thanks for the replies. In fairness I got more of a response that I thought I would.

I rest my case!! Thanks for the replies. In fairness I got more of a response that I thought I would.

And now you're part of the clique too ya shit stirrer:pac::pac:

ninty9er wrote: »
    And now you're part of the clique too ya shit stirrer:pac::pac:

Delighted to be. It feels great :pac:

Could we have a special case award... And Shíte Stirrer of the Year goes to... :pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Could we have a special case award... And Shíte Stirrer of the Year goes to... :pac: ;)

Brilliant idea. That way it gives people like me who are outside the clique some rights in the face of utter oppression and corruption.

• Advertisement

Brilliant idea. That way it gives people like me who are outside the clique some rights in the face of utter oppression and corruption.
    saucer of milk to isle 6 please -.-

Advertisement