Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk Poster of The Year 2008

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

kaimera wrote: »
    saucer of milk to aisle 6 please -.-

Got that lil' error there for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

(e.g. Cson and his pink underwear)

I'm loving how in an otherwise quite serious thread (well aside from the original intent) this comes up! I swear this will still be mentioned in 10 years time on this board the way things are going...:p

You forgot the pink phone btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Just because some of us lived/still live together..........wait...........nevermind

Anyway, I recognise you from a few posts. Post more expecially if its to stir shoite, makes things more interesting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Got that lil' error there for you ;)
    Nope...it was such a meow comment I meant isle...like 'isle of wight' etc etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

dedon wrote: »
    all these "polls" are very in house. Just like the Students Union. All very cliquey indeed. Like I mean whats the point in just nominating yourselves the whole time. Its a bit sad really.

Because its fun and is of no actual importance whatsoever!

Are we meant to nominate people we don't know about? Don't know how that would work!

And frankly anyone who pays any attention to these "awards" is an idiot! Hot UL-ian notwhistanding, thats of vital national importance!

I think other people have said it all better anyway (BD's post especially) about it all. All I can say is that the clique has grown quite well this year, a few noobs providing fresh meat for the slaughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dedon wrote: »
    all these "polls" are very in house. Just like the Students Union. All very cliquey indeed. Like I mean whats the point in just nominating yourselves the whole time. Its a bit sad really.
    If it's any good, I mostly ignored the whole thing. I put a quick sticky on the threads, Petee must have unstickied them, assumed they'd be forgotten about in two days as under about ten people bothered voting in them anyway. It was a quick whim from one of the forum users at one of the quieter times of the year and I'm far more reasonable about indulging quick whims at a quiet time of the year. I wouldn't lose sleep about it, I didn't bother to check who'd "won" anything. Bit of fun for those who have nothing else to be doing or want a short diversion to be honest. Normal service has resumed.

On a semi-serious note, there could well be far more users but it's not as though the thing is promoted anywhere (just like every other forum on boards.ie), better to look at it as a forum for ULers that happen to be on boards.ie than anything else as that's what it is and that's what it was when it was first proposed.

The results obviously mean nothing, as far as I can see it really was a three-day thing for people who wanted a bit of a laugh. Like the Oscars or the daytime Emmys. Not at all like the actual boards.ie awards polls, which are semi-serious and mean something worthwhile to people in their own private universe. Like the Tonys or the screen actors guild awards.

IS there a clique? Oh yeah, probably, I find it comical to be honest but there you go. None of the boards.ie forums in the edu category are intended to be clique-busting horizon stretching wildernesses of serious criticism. If they turn out that way, well and good but that's what the blogosphere, in part, is for. Personally I find that there's far too much, erm, let's call it "non-serious chatty something or other" but that's what the users here often go for, as with the other edu forums, so college forum mods don't tend to do the King Canute with the tide thing. It couldn't be held back anyway[1]. I do know, however, that a lot of the early forum users were people from the engineering and computer systems classes that graduated last year - they're among the users that first requested the forum and they almost all knew each other when the board was first created. Add to that a number of other users who have come along since, friends they've pulled in and you've a relatively diverse group. And then lots of them went and met outside the realm of the forum and got to know or recognise each other in real life. Which brings a certain familiarity to posts when they're made by those people. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, though I can see how you'd think it's a clique. If anything, it's a clique of its own making though, the board created the clique rather than the other way around. It's good when new people post. I like that.

The polls? There isn't even a parallel universe where they mean anything. I let them run for two days on the basis that they'd be gone quicker than if they ran longer.

[1]obviously which Canute knew, which is why he did it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

sceptre wrote: »
    It was a quick whim from one of the forum users at one of the quieter times of the year

As the person who started the idea of the awards I would just like to say that it was never my intention to exclude anyone or hurt anyone's feelings. This has be blown so far out of proportion. We were in the middle of exams and everyone was stressed so I suggested it as a way to chill out and have a bit of fun, especially since the predominant thread was all about bitching and moaning about exams and how we were all going to fail. I was just trying to lighten the mood and lighten everyone's spirits before Christmas.

Instead, we've been accused of being cliquey and that the awards were completely 'in house'. All the joy has been taken out of what was supposed to be a fun way to wind down in the middle of exams. I certainly learned my lesson; don't try to do anything nice on boards lest the people who lurk in the shadows and rarely post get annoyed and have their feelings hurt.

For the record, I didn't get any awards and I think I was only nominated for one. Do I care? No. Because it was supposed to be FUN and instead people have been bitching and moaning about it and have basically ruined the whole idea, for me anyway. You all had a chance to take part, it's not our fault you didn't nominate anyone or post regularly enough to get known and get nominated. We love getting to know new people so maybe take this as the hint to start posting instead of always lurking.

Edit: Another for the record for all those bitching about cliques. This thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437819, was open for ages and allowed people to say whether they thought the awards were a good/bad idea, to nominate categories, and to nominate recipients. If you missed it or just chose to not post in it then the onus for not being involved is 100% on you.

Advertisement