Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor Upgrade

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

I've a HP machine which is running a P4 2.8ghz socket 775 800fsb processor.
    I am looking to upgrade the processor to an Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6GHz LGA 775 65W 2mb 800fsb. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=353349
    I've already had a live online chat with HP tech support, but they could not really help me past the online tech specs....
    I know that the socket 775 and fsb match are a good starting point, but my cache at present is 1mb, and the proposed processor is 2mb - will this be an issue?
    Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
    PS, I'm a noob at this level of innards:eek:, but I have installed graphics from PCI to PCIe, RAM, hard discs sata and ide, dvd drives, sound cards etc.....
    Is there any good pointers out there?
    The rest of the machine is good, 1tb sata secondary HD, 2.5gb ram, ATI Radeon HD4570 512mb graphics, so no need to recommend a total change of machine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

You shouldnt have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

In theory you should be fine: checke their website and see if there are any bios update you might need to apply to your pc in order for it to be able to use a core2duo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've already updated the BIOS, thanks!
    Any thoughts on overclocking this chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

gman2k wrote: »
    I've already updated the BIOS, thanks!
    Any thoughts on overclocking this chip?

Comes down to the quailty of the board and what options are available in the bios.

QEM motherboards usually do not come with the bios options to do this unless it is a high end gaming rig pc etc..

So I doubt you will be able to do this. (you really need to look through your bios and see what options are available)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Hi OP,

It would be worth downloading CPU-Z to see what chipset you have.
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    I looked into upgrading a Dell with a 3GHz Pentium 4 before but the chipset wouldn't support Core 2 processors even though the processor would physically fit in the socket.

from a quick search of intel's website i found this:
    http://compare.intel.com/PCC/showchart.aspx?mmID=766532&familyID=1&culture=en-US
    It's a the requirements for the E4700 processor.

If cpu-z says you have one of the chipsets in the list it probably will work.
    If you don't see your chipset there have a look at the link and see if your chipset supports Core 2 processors.

Intel Chipset comparison chart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Thanks guys, looks like game over - chipset is a 915g which will only do a P4 processor,
    so if I want to do any more it'll have to be a mobo upgrade!
    Any links out there for any suggestions? (combo deals preferred with processor included)
    Budget around €200
    Thanks again guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

gman2k wrote: »
    Thanks guys, looks like game over - chipset is a 915g which will only do a P4 processor,
    so if I want to do any more it'll have to be a mobo upgrade!
    Any links out there for any suggestions? (combo deals preferred with processor included)
    Budget around €200
    Thanks again guys

With that processor, the budget mightn't quite stretch to a p45, but a p43 (like this) should do nicely. It would also give plenty of room for overclocking the fsb.

Advertisement