Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Detailed Map of Ireland Online!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Danno wrote: »
    Found the most amazing website that beats Google Maps or Google Earth hands down...

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=

Very handy for checking what height your house is! I've just found out that my weatherstation is 85m ASL , not the 93m I thought :eek:

Fair play Danno , that's a good one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Found the most amazing website that beats Google Maps or Google Earth hands down...

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=

Very handy for checking what height your house is! I've just found out that my weatherstation is 85m ASL , not the 93m I thought :eek:

While I don't see the relevance to this thread, its the best quality OS maps I've seen, and its got the better quality satellite photos, so good, I can see the swans on my pond!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

That find deserves a thread of its own Danno, excellent find. I am moving to a house on a hill soon which has the same height as yours. 85m. Will be interesting to compare data when I get set up. :)

Ps. Thanks to Snowbie for the guidence. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its not new, but its interesting how the snaps were taken at different times, is there weather fauna lovers crossover?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

I'm a bit slow this morning but I cannot see where it tells you the height, can you tell me please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Stunning map that. I cuold see my dog taking a dump on the neighbours lawn there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Each different level of zoom contains variable detail. With a good eye you can zoom to "City Level" in your area to find your ASL within 10 metres. However, if you live in a large urban area (grey areas) the ASL is unreadable, but it is good for us country folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Strasser wrote: »
    I'm a bit slow this morning but I cannot see where it tells you the height, can you tell me please?
    Its an OS map so height is represented with contour lines. By the looks of it, Blessington is about 160m in some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Great find, has my house on, unlike google.

Google looks crap compared to this for the majority of Ireland. It's a wonder Google don't purchase the aerial photos from OSI. Nice to see some of our tax euros went on something useful during the boom years :P

• Advertisement

Zoom in on Birr. Find the weather station. Then zoom in to District View. Toggle between the 2000 and 2005 photos. The amount of building near by is amazing. No wonder they are going to move the station outta there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Aye tis a good find Danno. I use live maps but I don't think they show sea level height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Wow! Now thats detail when your shed is on the map!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

18m asl.

Right On A Spot Height :P

Found a village in County Laois - Wolfhill, 281m. Beats Roundwood's 238m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Thanks for this site, very handy, it even has our new house in nice resolution on it!!

wheres Wolfhill beside in Laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thanks Danno. That's hours of fun and something to do when the weather is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh that place is cold, I've played soccer up there on a few winter mornings.

wheres Wolfhill beside in Laois?

Half way between Abbeyleix and Carlow. Beside Swan.

• Advertisement

Thanks danno! could'nt find it on the map, now can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Here are coordinates for most of the synoptic stations.

Belmullet 469157 832834
    Birr 607291 704358
    Claremorris 534501 773905
    Kilkenny 649405 657433
    Malin Head 641870 958519
    Rosslare 713717 612165
    Mullingar 642262 754344
    Valentia 445928 578629
    Oak Park(Carlow) 633062 679475
    Johnstown Castle 702355 616716
    Roches Point 582744 560685

Others
    JFK Arboretum 672222 618973

I'm don't know which is the exact site of the Birr site. I couldn't find the enclosure for the Clones site either.
    Google maps has a more recent photo of Kilkenny and shows the large development well.

Excellent Data Mothman. I didn't realise KK station was so close to the Hospital there.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone knows where information showing buildings on maps is obtained from.
    I built extension to my house and it's shown on map. Extension is less than size which requires planning, so no one was officially notified about it. My building was finished in June 2007.
    I also know of a number of other buildings without planning which are shown.

Jo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jomcc wrote: »
    Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone knows where information showing buildings on maps is obtained from.
    I built extension to my house and it's shown on map. Extension is less than size which requires planning, so no one was officially notified about it. My building was finished in June 2007.
    I also know of a number of other buildings without planning which are shown.

Jo.

Probably the wrong section of Boards to be in, but anyway, Ordnance Survey generally update their maps by ariel photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've found my house, now how do i find the height of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭baldieman

does anyone know if there is a similar site for the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Villain wrote: »
    Oh that place is cold, I've played soccer up there on a few winter mornings.

Ohh just spotted that, is it a proper village with at least a shop, post office and a pub or just a collection of a few houses like Annamoe?(only two businesses in Annamoe - An Antique shop and a Trout Fishery..'tis a strange place :D ).

Edit - Just looked at that in Google earth, that ain't no village sukka! Roundwood keeps its title imho!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Supercell wrote: »
    Ohh just spotted that, is it a proper village with at least a shop, post office and a pub or just a collection of a few houses like Annamoe?(only two businesses in Annamoe - An Antique shop and a Trout Fishery..'tis a strange place :D ).

Edit - Just looked at that in Google earth, that ain't no village sukka! Roundwood keeps its title imho!
    Emm Just a school AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

That's really cool! My house was being built in 2001 so I can see the place when it was just a feild with a road going through it, and it also brings back memories of when I moved in in 2001 and none of the other houses around were built yet. They started from the end of my foad and built up both sides!

Advertisement