Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car finance

Options
  • 15-12-2008 2:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭

mods feel free to move this. i could not find an appropriate thread in motors.

quick question. i have a car under finance. if i want to trade it in against another car in a garage,will the dealer transfer the finance on to the new car??

ie my car is worth 20000.
    the new one is 25000. he takes my one and now im paying more a month under the new finance.

or do i have to settle up with my bank for the existing car and then get new finance for the new one????? is finance transferable??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'll give you a tenner for it !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from after hours although it may be better off in a finance forum or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

when ive changed cars before I've just topped up my motor loans with AIB, just check with your finance provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

quick question. i have a car under finance. if i want to trade it in against another car in a garage,will the dealer transfer the finance on to the new car??

the new one is 25000. he takes my one and now im paying more a month under the new finance.

or do i have to settle up with my bank for the existing car and then get new finance for the new one????? is finance transferable??

The dealer will settle the finance agreement on your current car, and start a new one on the new car. If it's with the same provider it might go against the same account number - sort of like a top up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

patrickc wrote: »
    when ive changed cars before I've just topped up my motor loans with AIB, just check with your finance provider.

i've just the exact same thing last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

were you using 20k as an example or is your car worth this?

forget about the mortgages, its negative equity on cars that is a big problem in this country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Táck wrote: »
    were you using 20k as an example or is your car worth this?

forget about the mortgages, its negative equity on cars that is a big problem in this country

these are the official figures (rounded for ease)

bought car for 25,000 in april. honda accord
    total finance owed including interest over 60 months is 30,000.

i now want to change it for another car which costs 26,000.

how the hell do i do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

bought car for 25,000 in april.

how the hell do i do it?

Have you got a settlement figure from your finance company? You pay the interest up front on car finance so you may get a nasty surprise on how much you owe on the car. Selling a car after 6 months is madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

bought car for 25,000 in april.

how the hell do i do it?
    depending on the market value of the car, the dealer may do a straight swop. doubt it though, they'd be more inclined to try screw you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you owed less than the value of your car, the garage/bank would be able to get it sorted for you however since there is more outstanding than your car is worth, you may have to pay off the difference as in these times finance companies wont be giving out loans for more than the value of the car. This is what they would be doing if you dont clear off some of current one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Contact your finance company. They should be able to transfer the outstanding finance to the new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

you need to get a salesman to give you the value of the car. not what he is giving you for it but what at what cost he is taking your car into stock. if this figure is lower then the figure you owe you are in negative equity and you should have to come up with the difference.

i say should because some garages will over finance your car to include this figure. not good business imo

Advertisement