Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught Speeding Q?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 3:17am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, was in the car with my mate tonight and he over took two cars at roughly 80mph (straight road, broken white line) After he got passed them blue lights appeared and he got pulled over. Basicly they said he will be recieving a letter for speeding.
    He wants to know can they actually do him for speeding as they are only going on what they were doing behind him? (like no speed camera or anything alike to record the speed)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

What was the speed limit on the road. might help to look

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

cuppa wrote: »
    What was the speed limit on the road. might help to look

100kph

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

what speed rougly was the car ye overtook doing?

twas going around 65mph as we were behind it for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

well in that case the garda could prob do ye for dangerous driving,theres no need to overtake a car thats going above the speed limit in the first place, not trying to sound like a preacher but its fact! in relation to speeding he/she needs evidence to prove ye were actually speeding! dunno if the gardai have calibrated video cameras in there cars or not cos afaik this is the only way to prove speeding without an actual speed camera or radar gun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

80Mph , 100Kph, 65Mph. Whats with the different speed systems?

80Mph = 130Kph
    65Mph = 105Kph.

30% above the speed limit (on an open straight road) I think (depending on the raod/weather conditions) is no harsh crime. I havent seen the overtaking manouvere so I cant comment, but personally if it was 100% safe to do so, I think its fairly unlucky. Yes I know you were going above the speed limit, but if we are reasonable to assume the road can handle faster speeds than I think its harsh. Just my 2 cents or my 1.6p ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    ok, was in the car with my mate tonight and he over took two cars at roughly 80mph (straight road, broken white line) After he got passed them blue lights appeared and he got pulled over. Basicly they said he will be recieving a letter for speeding.
    He wants to know can they actually do him for speeding as they are only going on what they were doing behind him? (like no speed camera or anything alike to record the speed)

tape yer letter box and dont anser the door when they try to deliver it, if you didnt receive the letter its trown out of court... but if yer caught speed red handed take it like a man...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

antodeco wrote: »

80Mph = 130Kph
    65Mph = 105Kph.

30% above the speed limit (on an open straight road) I think (depending on the raod/weather conditions) is no harsh crime. I havent seen the overtaking manouvere so I cant comment, but personally if it was 100% safe to do so, I think its fairly unlucky. Yes I know you were going above the speed limit, but if we are reasonable to assume the road can handle faster speeds than I think its harsh. Just my 2 cents or my 1.6p ;)

Its a speed Limit. there has to be a limit at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Its a speed Limit. there has to be a limit at some point

not in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

S.I.R wrote: »
    tape yer letter box and dont anser the door when they try to deliver it, if you didnt receive the letter its trown out of court... but if yer caught speed red handed take it like a man...
    #

So, basically, do your best to avoid the fine but if you can't then be honest and admit it?

Right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ask your friendly solicitor if they can do you like that. I often wondered about that. The solicitor would have all the angles on it. Also Id say its worth requesting information on the instrument they used to make the judgement regarding your driving and also look for a calibration cert for it. I doubt they would have had any speed reading for you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

not in Germany

Actually in Germany they do have speed limit, Red Circle around the number indicates a limit, blue sign with white writing indicates an advisory limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

johnnyrotton said there *has* to be a limit, I'm pointing out there doesn't have to be in Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

80Mph = 130Kph
    65Mph = 105Kph.

i hardly call being caught breaking the MOTORWAY speed limit never mind the 100kph speed limit on a national road unlucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Is it possible the Garda asked "do you know why I pulled you over?" or "do you know what speed you were doing?" and your mate incriminated himself with his answer?

Hogzy wrote: »
    well in that case the garda could prob do ye for dangerous driving,theres no need to overtake a car thats going above the speed limit in the first place, not trying to sound like a preacher but its fact! in relation to speeding he/she needs evidence to prove ye were actually speeding! dunno if the gardai have calibrated video cameras in there cars or not cos afaik this is the only way to prove speeding without an actual speed camera or radar gun!

I think I did hear them mentioning the dangerous driving part.

But, I cant see how, as it was a straight road and not a car in sight. I know anything can happen but it was unlikely at the time of night.
    S.I.R wrote: »
    I dunno would he do that haha!

80Mph = 130Kph
    65Mph = 105Kph.

Big open road, I've seen cars go much much faster just my mate got quiet unlucky.

Well he said if it comes down to it, he will take the summons and hopefully they wont have any solid evidence.

Theirs no way they could get him imo. Because they were far enough back when the lights came on so they would have had to be speeding up to get to him.

idk, all confusing lol.

sorry for the double.
    AudiChris wrote: »
    Is it possible the Garda asked "do you know why I pulled you over?" or "do you know what speed you were doing?" and your mate incriminated himself with his answer?
    My mate said roughly 75mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

just take the punishment:rolleyes:, you broke the law end of, take it to court if you want, the judge will just believe the guard.

you should get done for 6 points.

taking 2 cars at once at over 100kmph is actually dangerous driving, you got off light.

cop on.

next time, look in your mirrors, for the guards before speeding etc, then take the bean can off the back of you car and get whats called a "sleeper" this way you dont get guards hassling you.( loud cars are for halfwits whos sole purpose is for me to embarrass them with my little car, and for people to laugh at) I speed i just make sure i do it where i cant get caught, if i do, im caught and ill give the guards a nice tub of lube because ill get it big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

While we're on the subject, if you recieve a summons, and your name is spelt wrong, can you get off on a technicality?

Now, i'm not talkin Steven for Stephen. I'm mean, his name is John and its addressed to Gavin Such-A-Body...

GavMan wrote: »
    While we're on the subject, if you recieve a summons, and your name is spelt wrong, can you get off on a technicality?

Now, i'm not talkin Steven for Stephen. I'm mean, his name is John and its addressed to Gavin Such-A-Body...

suppose you could just send it back and say "joe bloggs" doesnt live here.

Stupidity should be taken advantage of:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A double overtake I guess could be deemed to be dangerous driving.
    I wouldn't be the biggest fan of doing it cause the person one car in front of you may decide that now is the best opertunity to overtake also and come out on top of you causing a terrible accident.

When someone is about to overtake their priority is on not getting hit head-on rather than making sure someone isn't coming from behind so might neglect to check mirrors and make a hasty decision to come out. While I'm not saying this person is in the right, I'm saying that it can forseeably happen.

^sure, only time will tell i guess!
    Halfrauds wrote: »
    just take the punishment:rolleyes:, you broke the law end of, take it to court if you want, the judge will just believe the guard.

you should get done for 6 points.

taking 2 cars at once at over 100kmph is actually dangerous driving, you got off light.

cop on.

why should I cop on? It wasnt me driving... :rolleyes:

^sure, only time will tell i guess!

why should I cop on? It wasnt me driving... :rolleyes:

funny how all the people caught by guards are peoples friends, sorry if it wasnt you.

well tell your friend some nerd on a internet board told him to buy a sleeper and cop on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

i doubt your mate will be done for speeding as there is no real proof that he was, except the word of a guard and who believes them!!!!!!

JackFrosty wrote: »
    i doubt your mate will be done for speeding as there is no real proof that he was, except the word of a guard and who believes them!!!!!!

he admitted it i think:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Sorry OP but why on earth was your mate trying to overtake two cars that were both driving above the speed limit? No.1 it's dangerous and No.2 Was he then going to slow down in front of them? Of course not, he'd continue to drive above what they were driving i.e. above the limit... deserves everything he gets. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

carbsy wrote: »
    Sorry OP but why on earth was your mate trying to overtake two cars that were both driving above the speed limit? No.1 it's dangerous and No.2 Was he then going to slow down in front of them? Of course not, he'd continue to drive above what they were driving i.e. above the limit... deserves everything he gets. :rolleyes:
    Lets please stay on topic!

kbannon wrote: »
    Lets please stay on topic!

Sorry... OT .... They could do him for dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

If you are over taking you nearly always break the speed limit to do it,
    and then you ease off a bit when your in front!

How many of the critics posting here can say,
    They have never broken the limit while over taking?

• Advertisement

JackFrosty wrote: »
    If you are over taking you nearly always break the speed limit to do it,
    and then you ease off a bit when your in front!

How many of the critics posting here can say,
    They have never broken the limit while over taking?

You're missing the point that I'm making.The cars that he was overtaking were already driving above the speed limit so he had no business over them in the first place.Also he couldn't slow down (to the limit) once he drove past them as they were driving above the limit themselves.

Advertisement