Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pleck thickness

Options
  • 15-12-2008 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of thicknesses. i dont have them with me but one is 1mm (black dunlop) and the other is smaller (silver/grey).

I find it easier to play with the slimmer one but i know the sounds a bit better with the thick one.

Anyone else prefer the slimmer ones?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I use the .6 Dunlops (light grey) for strumming away on an acoustic but the .8 on my electric. No reason other than personal preference.

There's a .74 version too if you're looking for something in between!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Id be fairly the same, .4s for acoustic chordsy type playing and .6+ for electric and single note picking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Nulty wrote: »
    Anyone else prefer the slimmer ones?
    No, I use Jazz IIIs mostly which are about 1.4mm afaik. Anything under 1mm is a bit flappy feeling (for me). I used to use 3mm Big Stubbys a lot :D

The Ultex (Gold) Jazz IIIs are my favourite variety, but its hard to find them in large sized bags :(

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I always use the Dunlop tortex .73mm picks. It's just personal preference really took me ages to settle on these picks but anything else just feels wrong now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've used most thicknesses and my preference has changed a lot over the years. At the moment I use the black Dunlop 1mm picks on both guitar and bass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

1.0 black JD picsk, i buy them but the 70 a pack... use notihng else, but ive a ton of other picks of different thicknesses for different uses

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

No, I use Jazz IIIs mostly which are about 1.4mm afaik. Anything under 1mm is a bit flappy feeling (for me). I used to use 3mm Big Stubbys a lot :D

The Ultex (Gold) Jazz IIIs are my favourite variety, but its hard to find them in large sized bags :(

Red jazz III for me :) I was given one about 10 years ago and I've never looked back. There's too much give in the thinner ones. You cant get as much expression in your picking with them in my opinion.

I get my jazz IIIs from thomann(in bags of 6). I dont know about the gold ones tho but they might have them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

much prefare the slimmer ones, but can play with both. make your own by tracing plecks on to old credit cards and then cutting them out

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Overature wrote: »
    much prefare the slimmer ones, but can play with both. make your own by tracing plecks on to old credit cards and then cutting them out
    That might be the best thing to do with credit cards right now seeing as sterling is so damn cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

dermo909 wrote: »

I get my jazz IIIs from thomann(in bags of 6). I dont know about the gold ones tho but they might have them there.
    Thomann have the jazz ultexs in 6-packs alright, but im talking about the large bags, 24 or 72, better value.

They have the blacks and reds in large bags alright, ive tonnes of them at home, but since i tried the ultex they're my favourite now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

small pointed v-pick

I won't play with anything else unless I'm playing acoustic and then I've got a tortoiseshell pick for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

pug_ wrote: »
    I always use the Dunlop tortex .73mm picks. It's just personal preference really took me ages to settle on these picks but anything else just feels wrong now.

+ 1 I love these! I got 72 for Christmas a few years ago and haven't stopped using them since, thwey're great!

Advertisement