Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit picking recommendations

Options
  • 15-12-2008 5:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Myself and my girlfriend are hoping to go fruit picking in January. Pretty much immediately after Christmas as our visas expire in April.

Just wondering if anyone has advice of farms they may have worked on that were good. The most important thing for me is that its a large farm with plenty of people (preferably backpackers) working there so there will be a bit of banter etc.

We'll be in Sydney at Christmas but have a return flight to perth which we may or may not take depending on where we decide to get farm work.

Any advice is much appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Don't do Bananas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me!

Cherry pickying and apples are meant to be easier. If you get the job of driving the tractor, you're sorted. It's tough work and you can be treated like **** and you are working with convicts and people who should be convicts!

Working in a shop in the outback is considered farm/rural work so you should look out for those jobs. Would be sooo much handier than working on a farm.

Ring Harvestline and they'll tell you where's good to go at the time of year you want to pick. 1800 062 332.

I worked on 2 Mango farms (Darwin and Katherine area) and a banana farm (Tully, south of Cairns). Got to see the real Australia and met some lovely people but it is hell. :)

Advertisement