Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Thread (Read before asking what board/suit etc.)

Options
13»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It looks like the same kind of plastic as a bic, so neither as far as I can tell. Not really sure how much its worth I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SeanDaly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It looks like the same kind of plastic as a bic, so neither as far as I can tell. Not really sure how much its worth I'm afraid.

Thank you for the help, think i might stay away from them kind of boards.

If its not to much trouble could you tell me what you think of this one:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/othersports/3327296

Thank you for the help :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

SeanDaly wrote: »
    Thank you for the help, think i might stay away from them kind of boards.

If its not to much trouble could you tell me what you think of this one:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/othersports/3327296

Thank you for the help :p

That one's epoxy. Not a bad price if its never been used like the ad says. Will damage easier than the other board I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 surfrookie

Hi, just new to surfing i've been with group a few times and i'm a bit in love with it. I recently bought a Circle One Jeff Townsey 6' 8" board before i read everything about people saying get long boards for starting off. I'm 5' 10" and about 11 stone, do you think i've made a bad descision?
    http://www.adverts.ie/water-sports/jeff-townsey-6-8-board/1903172?notification=6e009cd962279480e64a1b39ed2c3750-1344789811#comment_9402927

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ratticus

If you can get up on your feet and catch waves, then no you haven't. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 surfrookie

Haven't got a chance to get out yet hopefully friday ill let you no what happens! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnyOhio

Looking at investing in first suit, after renting for a while.

Any advice on which suit to buy...with hood or without, for surfing Donegal/Portrush area through the winter?

Looking at the Excel Infiniti 5/4/3 no hood (2012 suit) , v's 5/4/3 with hood (2013 suit). Suit with no hood costs £100 less.

Will buying the cheaper one and buying a separate hood do the same job in terms of insulation.....and leave it useable next summer as a hoodless 543 suit. Or, spend the extra cash on the hooded suit as it's noticeably warmer/less flushing and will mean the cold is more bearable. I should note that I'm a lightweight when it comes to the cold!

Keen to hear your thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

JohnyOhio wrote: »
    Looking at investing in first suit, after renting for a while.

Any advice on which suit to buy...with hood or without, for surfing Donegal/Portrush area through the winter?

Looking at the Excel Infiniti 5/4/3 no hood (2012 suit) , v's 5/4/3 with hood (2013 suit). Suit with no hood costs £100 less.

Will buying the cheaper one and buying a separate hood do the same job in terms of insulation.....and leave it useable next summer as a hoodless 543 suit. Or, spend the extra cash on the hooded suit as it's noticeably warmer/less flushing and will mean the cold is more bearable. I should note that I'm a lightweight when it comes to the cold!

Keen to hear your thoughts

One with a detachable hood is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eimz_T

Hey,

I'm an ok surfer looking to buy my first board, was thinking of getting a 7"4 O'Shea mini mal, I'm 5"6 about 60kg (female), I'm just worried that it might be too short, I am looking to progress and improve my turning etc. any input would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnyOhio

I'd try to rent a similar size and see if it suits you. I'm 80kg male 5'11 and was renting an 8' and getting on okay with it. Then rented a 7'6 to see the difference and it was really noticeable, although it was a pretty small day. I could get up on the 7'6, but I found it a lot more work. I caught a lot fewer waves on the 7'6, so overall not as much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

Eimz_T wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm an ok surfer looking to buy my first board, was thinking of getting a 7"4 O'Shea mini mal, I'm 5"6 about 60kg (female), I'm just worried that it might be too short, I am looking to progress and improve my turning etc. any input would be appreciated.

don't go O'Shea or 7'4. if you want a pop-out board as a beginner NSP and Bic are the business. got 7'6- 8'0 ( 8'0 is preferable)

Advertisement