Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate Universe's Lead Actor Is...

• 15-12-2008 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

Robert Carlyle. Hmm.. I'm a bit more optimistic about this now. He's a good actor, with the potential to be as sarcastic and funny as Jack O'Neill.
    Robert Carlyle is next 'Stargate' leader
    Actor cast in third installment of the Sci Fi franchise

Robert Carlyle has been tapped as the lead in Sci Fi Channel's new series "Stargate Universe."

"SGU," the third installment in the cable channel's "Stargate" franchise, hails from "Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate Atlantis" co-creators Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, who will write and executive produce the new series.

Sci Fi Channel is expected to give the MGM TV-produced "SGU" a 20-episode order.

Production on the series is slated to begin in February in Vancouver. It is targeted to launch in the summer with a two-hour premiere.

Described as edgier, darker and younger-skewing than its predecessors, "SGU" follows a group of soldiers, scientists and civilians left to fend for themselves when forced through a Stargate after their hidden base comes under attack. The survivors, who emerge aboard an ancient ship missing in the far reaches of space, are led by Dr. David Rush (Carlyle), who works to unlock the ship's mysteries and return the group home but also might have ulterior motives.

The network had said it was looking to cast a well-known actor as Rush and fresh faces to play the rest of the ship's crew.

"Robert Carlyle brings a depth, intelligence and complexity to his roles, which will fit perfectly with the fresh, new reinvention of this franchise," Sci Fi original-programming chief Mark Stern said.

Scotland-born Carlyle, best known for his roles in "Trainspotting" and "The Full Monty," recently starred opposite Kiefer Sutherland in Fox's "24: Redemption." He is repped by Gersh, manager Jon Rubinstein and the U.K.'s Christian Hodell.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3ia42e757920d927798a19726f013538af

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hope his role is bigger than Robert Patrick's ;)

Still though, Stargate Voyager is looking a little more promising now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Wow, that actually raises my expectations for Universe a bit (which granted, have been very low...). Like Aidan said though, will he be a real regular or have a Robert Patrick-style role? And hopefully they won't try to Americanize him, it just doesn't work for him at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

:D I like

Still think that this will be terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

So he will be the one to lead the youngsters. I just read it and came here to see if the news was broken and indeed it was. :)

He could do well depending how they set his character up. A bit of Begbie would liven things up. "Hello mr. Asgard!" *headbutt*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Sherifu wrote: »
    A bit of Begbie would liven things up. "Hello mr. Asgard!" *headbutt*

:D

Well in all fairness, they are describing SGU as:
    Described as edgier, darker

So that seems about right...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Scottish thesp Robert Carlyle (The Full Monty) has been tapped to headline the brand's third live-action series, Stargate Universe. Carlyle, most recently seen in Fox's 24: Redemption pic, will play Dr. David Rush, the leader of a group of soldiers, scientists, and civilians who have been stranded on an ancient ship in the far reaches of space.
    "We are very excited about having an actor of this caliber, around which we can build a strong, character-based series," said series creators Brad Wright and Robert Cooper in an exclusive statement. "Robert Carlyle will engage a broad audience and we hope to deliver a show that demonstrates to new viewers that the loyalty of longtime fans of the Stargate franchise has been well-deserved."
    SGU, which will launch via a two-hour movie on Sci Fi next July, is being billed as the edgy, rebellious sibling to Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Or as Wright/Cooper put it: "We see SGU as an innovative step forward and an opportunity to expand the franchise."

Interesting Choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i'm trying to be optimistic about this(not them rolling robert carlyle) the whole stargate on a ship thing.

The whole idea behing a stargate is that you dont have to use a ship, what point is there to them being stuck on a ship if they have stargate.

understood it will work out that they cant dial back to earth or anything like that but really 'Stuck on a ship'/

sure what possible reason would they have to ever dial the gate again as any planet they go to there isnt a point as there whole plan is just to get home.

really wondering how they are going to spin this into a long story.

i wait and see!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

Thor wrote: »
    i'm trying to be optimistic about this(not them rolling robert carlyle) the whole stargate on a ship thing.

The whole idea behing a stargate is that you dont have to use a ship, what point is there to them being stuck on a ship if they have stargate.

understood it will work out that they cant dial back to earth or anything like that but really 'Stuck on a ship'/

sure what possible reason would they have to ever dial the gate again as any planet they go to there isnt a point as there whole plan is just to get home.

really wondering how they are going to spin this into a long story.

i wait and see!!!

But that was the reaction to Deep Space Nine at the time - stuck on a space station- and that worked out well. The casting news has made me excited about Universe for the first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

robert+carlyle_855_18132179_0_0_1726_300.jpg

Ah not that tard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you shut up and go watch the 51st state

or formula 51 as it's known over there, to protect your tiny little minds

!!!

!
    !

!!!!!

*shrug*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

"Described as edgier, darker and younger-skewing than its predecessors"

In the states at least 'Edgier and Darker' is light years away from 'younger-skewing' (which invairably means turning into the OC in Space, and as Aidan pointed out mixing in some Voyager to complete the vapid little mix).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

oh cool ! theres a new star gate coming out ! :)

Mordeth wrote: »

Its to protect them all from going around stating it as fact :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

:D that's what I've been calling it!

RC is apparently going to be in the full season, leading me to wonder why SGU was initially touted as being more teen oriented? When they say 'darker and edgier' do they mean in the same way that S4 and 5 of SGA were darker and edgier? (ie they turned half the lights off and re-used old stories? :mad: )

I said elsewhere that SG-1 fans wouldn't watch SGA cos it wasn't SG-1 saving the universe, what makes "them" think anyone's going to watch SGU? SG-1 fans won't [cos it's not SG-1] and I'm assuming SGA fans won't cos it's not SGA ...

*tumbleweed*

I'm also bothered by the length of time it's taken to get SGU going, SGA was up and running in less than 6 months from the time when Cooper and Wright were asked to do a spin off (according to the official book that I read), and it's been, what, over two years since they started work on SGU?

I'll watch it when it comes out but I'm not holding my breath...

!!!

!
    !

!!!!!

*shrug*
    Just watched him in 24: Redemption. I wasnt impressed with his acting. Nor his acting in 28 Months later. He lands good parts but I feel like he's forcing it or something - I just cant get into it.

im hoping this will be the role he's been needing though. Like RDA to Jack O'Niell - McGuyver had nothing on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 enda50

atlantis ended up being better than sg1 while running simultaneously, i didn't like the idea of if at first but grew to love it! i hope they do it again cause if they dont we will be with out a stargate of any kind!!

At first Atlantis put me off because it was an Equal Opportunity Cast: Black Guy(later axed), Brown Girl, 2 White Guys, Woman in Charge, British Gate Operator (who subsequently dies), and a Russian/Czech/Zalenka/Thing.

lol, the cast never really annoyed me! apart from the fact that the us military would be too suspicious of any one who isn't American to let them up the statue of liberty let alone some one whos not from earth on their most secret base on the head team! and whats with thela being in charge the time weir went to earth for a d brief

enda50 wrote: »
    lol, the cast never really annoyed me! apart from the fact that the us military would be too suspicious of any one who isn't American to let them up the statue of liberty let alone some one whos not from earth on their most secret base on the head team! and whats with thela being in charge the time weir went to earth for a d brief
    ?

just jesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

enda50 wrote: »

I found that sort of thing a bit suss myself ... I was watching the re-run of Suspicion the other day and I still can't quite figure out why Sheppard is jumping to Teyla's defence and Elizabeth is the one who's casting doubts ... Unless that's just Sheppard's nature to take everyone at face value?

Advertisement