Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camcorder Recommendations

Options
  • 15-12-2008 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

Reposting this from a different forum, as there weren't any responses, and it's important to me.

I know there are other threads on this, but my requirements are slightly different than any of the threads I've seen, so I wanted to ask for some advice. It's not an area that I know an awful lot about, and I would hate to buy a lemon!

I'm looking to get some form of camcorder as a christmas gift. I suppose I'm looking for an entry level model, costing anything up to about €250 (although I'll go a few quid over if it's perfect).

I've done a lot of reading online, and it seems that the main complaint with many cheaper cameras is poor video quality. I'm wondering if that's because many cameras are really that bad, or is it because some people would consider pretty ok video to be utter rubbish.

The camera will most likely be used indoors a lot, filming in sports halls and the like. Sound and picture should be decent, but the movies will most likely be watched on laptops and the like, so it doesn't have to be HD 45million inch screen high quality or anything. We will have to be able to make out what the people are doing, though!

I think something that would record to internal or SD memory would be ideal. I know miniDV has good quality, but reports online seem to say that they transfer to PC in realtime, and I don't think the recipient will have the patience to wait for an hour to see an hour of footage!

So, can anyone recommend any of the camcorders in this price range? There's quite a few available on elara.ie and dabs.ie, but the reviews are a very mixed bag and I'm having trouble deciding.

I'd really appreciate any help that anyone could give.

edit:

Some more detail - I've been doing more reading over the weekend, and a lot of people do seem to be recommending the minidv format for the best quality.

Just how slow is it to take data from a minidv tape to a computer? And is there an easy way to speed up the process (hardware and/or software)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi there,

In same position as you - looking for a half-decent entry level.

Thinking of this at the mo: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/755502/art/jvc/gz-mg330-camcorder-silver.html

30gb hard drive camcorder

Keith.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

I think I've just about resolved to get the Canon FS100. It's on pixmania for the same price as the one you posted, but I found it cheaper elsewhere (the fact that sterling is dropping has really helped!).

Hi Kila,

Can you point me in the direction of where you got that? Also are you guaranteed delivery for Xmas???

Pixmania are now telling me that the camcorder is out of stock.

Cheers,
    Keith.
    Kila wrote: »
    I think I've just about resolved to get the Canon FS100. It's on pixmania for the same price as the one you posted, but I found it cheaper elsewhere (the fact that sterling is dropping has really helped!).

I found it on amazon.co.uk. They've got really good shipping, and with the sterling rate so low, it works out at less than the pixmania price (and that's including the shipping from amazon). The silver FS100 is currently about £214 on amazon.co.uk.

Just tried to order from Amazon - but they do not allow shipping to Ireland

• Advertisement

So it would seem. :(

My apologies, they're usually pretty good about sending things wherever.

Have stuck with Pixmania for now!

I need it by Xmas though - or not at all - otherwise it's a bricks and mortar store
    Kila wrote: »
    So it would seem. :(

My apologies, they're usually pretty good about sending things wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Did you try komplett.ie

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

misco.ie sell some camcorders too.

Advertisement