Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you recommend a career in teaching, given the current economic climate?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

J.R. wrote: »
    As far as I know if the principal closes the school for a day the DES will insist that the school remain open a day longer in the year to make up for the closure - how would the teachers feel then if the principal approached staff in May informing them they have to work X number of extra days into holidays to make up for the days he/she closed the school?

ya we were given that same reason when we asked about the more trivial concern around snow days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

J.R. wrote: »
    Rodar08 wrote: »
    The principals in a lot of schools get a lot of flack from staff and I'm not exactly sticking up for them - a huge amount of them are making matters worse and feeding into the governments hands just because they want to keep their numbers up and keep the parents happy by not closing for a day when teachers are not available - QUOTE]

As far as I know if the principal closes the school for a day the DES will insist that the school remain open a day longer in the year to make up for the closure - how would the teachers feel then if the principal approached staff in May informing them they have to work X number of extra days into holidays to make up for the days he/she closed the school?

Hmm yeah I see what you are saying J.R. but I think the permanent teachers - who ultimately suffer in the end by not being able to get their classes covered - need to realise that maybe this situation needs to get worse before it gets better and in order for that to happen some sacrifices need to be made - like working an extra, say week, into the 3 month holidays to make up for the days lost throughtout this school year.

Isn't it safe to say that if the schools survive, stay open and be 'seen' to funcion as normal during all these cuts that the government will have plenty of room to say 'see, told ya, there is room for all these cuts in teaching jobs and there's certainly no need for all the sub teachers because evidence has proved that schools can function as normal without them.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Isn't it safe to say that if the schools survive, stay open and be 'seen' to funcion as normal during all these cuts that the government will have plenty of room to say 'see, told ya, there is room for all these cuts in teaching jobs and there's certainly no need for all the sub teachers because evidence has proved that schools can function as normal without them.'

Certainly if schools are seen to be functioning as normal there will the an element of 'I told ya so'. Speaking from personal experience though, our school is only functioning as normal because teachers have dragged themselves out of bed when the have been sick and going to the doctor for a cert for 1 or 2 days in case the rota couldn't cover them. They didn't want to burden the vice-principal. People are tiring of this though. Soon teachers will take the sick days they are entitled to without getting a cert, as they always have, and then school will stop functioning as normal.

One day a few weeks ago the vice-principal was supervising 2 classes at a time in the assembly hall because he had no one to cover those classes. Under no circumstances was he to send kids home, even during the last class of the day when he had 2 6th year classes cooped up in the hall.

Good luck to the government when the money runs out.

janeybabe wrote: »

Certainly if schools are seen to be functioning as normal there will the an element of 'I told ya so'. Speaking from personal experience though, our school is only functioning as normal because teachers have dragged themselves out of bed when the have been sick and going to the doctor for a cert for 1 or 2 days in case the rota couldn't cover them. They didn't want to burden the vice-principal. People are tiring of this though. Soon teachers will take the sick days they are entitled to without getting a cert, as they always have, and then school will stop functioning as normal.

One day a few weeks ago the vice-principal was supervising 2 classes at a time in the assembly hall because he had no one to cover those classes. Under no circumstances was he to send kids home, even during the last class of the day when he had 2 6th year classes cooped up in the hall.

It's much the same story in my school. We haven't been hit badly with sickness but I have noticed that everyone that has been sick since january has been certified, and I said it on another thread, it will probably lead to some teachers taking a minimum of 3 days off instead of just one or two.

Also if teachers are late/ ring in sick at the last minute the principal or vice principal is covering the class or bringing them down to assembly to keep an eye on them. schools are surviving but it can't continue like this indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

schools are surviving but it can't continue like this indefinitely.

The funny thing is that it's actually costing the government more money now that there is more certified leave with the cost of employing a sub. Having said that, and in keeping with the topic of this thread, I am glad in a way that teachers have certs because it means that subs can be employed. (Although I certainly don't agree with the pressure put on teachers to get a cert.)

Hmm yeah I see what you are saying J.R. but I think the permanent teachers - who ultimately suffer in the end by not being able to get their classes covered - need to realise that maybe this situation needs to get worse before it gets better and in order for that to happen some sacrifices need to be made - like working an extra, say week, into the 3 month holidays to make up for the days lost throughtout this school year.

If this is to be the case I can see an awful lot of staff days or inservice ahead. Classes can't go on in schools when the LC/JC exams are taking place. It's just not practical. I'd imagine that principals will send year groups home rather than close the school for the day to prevent this happening.

A letter signed by every principal in Roscommon was sent to all the parents of students in schools in the county in December informing them as such. It also outlined possible (probable) job losses and possible loss of subjects in schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

That's exactly how i feel Janeybabe. We're on the same page. They might be functioning for now - but it won't and can't last.

Now ..... any volunteers for a Curriculum & Assessment essay? Education & Society? NO?:eek:. How about Psychology of Education? Oh come on! :D:pac::D!! Hmm the joys. Any advice on how to write about 10, 000 words inside about 9 days? ok, I'll carry on then so :rolleyes:.

The funny thing is that it's actually costing the government more money now that there is more certified leave with the cost of employing a sub. Having said that, and in keeping with the topic of this thread, I am glad in a way that teachers have certs because it means that subs can be employed. (Although I certainly don't agree with the pressure put on teachers to get a cert.)

True at least it's generating some work. Government have shot themselves in the foot with that one. I can see the logic of taking a few days too, if you're going to pay €50 to go and see a doctor and get a cert you may as well get value out of it. Not many are going to get a cert for one day's sickness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

This was always gonna be the way. Fact is though that some teachers take too many 'mental health' days. Puts the pressure on all other staff with kids hyper and unmotivated to focus when they do get a class that ain't free.

Referring to the title of thread though - as I never tire of repeating; best, most infuriating, gratifying, frustrating, thankless, stimulating and rewarding job in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭CraftySue

Fact is though that some teachers take too many 'mental health' days

Is this not a bit of an urban myth. Bat O' Keefe tried to say that the cuts were partly in response a large amount of teacher absenteism. He finally had to admit that on average, teachers take 1 day sick leave per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

CraftySue wrote: »
    Is this not a bit of an urban myth. Bat O' Keefe tried to say that the cuts were partly in response a large amount of teacher absenteism. He finally had to admit that on average, teachers take 1 day sick leave per year.

I dunno CS. You're probably right. One day out sounds pretty efficient. I mean, I know plasterers worked 3/4 days a week and earned 1400 net for it. It was a goldrush thing of course. I work for a lot less than that. Why should I be begrudged, be the begrudgee, for my wage now it's not the goldrush no more?

I'd say teaching does put you mad in the head however. Must be all the time off.:eek:

Advertisement