Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New BMW Z4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Not really.
    Same (esthetic problems) as the old Z4 tbh.

However, beauty is subjective, so enjoy it!

Looks good! I actually think the current one isnt a bad looking motor either. At least they have finally made it a convertible hard top. Big advantage imo.

Edit: Except for the extra weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Its better looking alright......but its put on the pounds unfortunately :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not a fan of the massive grills, and I liked the old one anyway. I thought that a soft top could be as heavy as a hard top as there is still a good amount of metal frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I like it - but I also think the current one is nice.
    lets hope they've got rid of the stupid run flats and people can drive this without fear of loosing their lunch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

First - the positives:

- no diesel
    - no 4 pot engines(for now)
    - EfficientDynamics standard and all petrols are direct injection straight 6's
    - the award winning 3.0 twin turbo is available, and BMW still thinks that models ending with 23i are still deserving of their superior straight 6 engines
    - even the twin turbo model will avoid 36% VRT
    - long bonnet and other classic roadster styling features are present
    - better looking than the old model(though that wouldn't be difficult)
    - interior is a BIG improvement on the old model, the centre console is even angled towards the driver like the old BMWs were
    - Euro 5 emissions compliance, proving to all the direct injection petrol doubters that they are just as good as antiquated old fashioned petrols for non CO2 emissions

Now - the negatives:

- what the hell is going on with "sDrive" models? I knew they were bringing in the "sDrive" designation for the X1 so as to distinguish the RWD versions from the 4WD versions but when was the Z4 ever going to have 4WD? what would have been wrong with 2.5i, 3.0i and 3.0ti?
    - why has the sDrive30i only got 258 bhp, when the 330i, 530i etc have 272 bhp, and the old engine in the 330i/530i had 258 bhp? That's not progress at all. That's called going backwards
    - it looks too much like the ugly old model
    - worst of all, they're calling it an "Audi TT" rival:mad:. It's a car that's supposed to be rivaling the Boxster and SLK, NOT a sexed up Golf that doesn't even drive the back wheels on certain models.

What's worrying is that if they're trying to rival the TT then it probably means that driving dynamics, BMW's raison d'etre have been put on the back burner.

My suspicion that BMW are losing their direction is only heightened by the fact it has a bloody folding metal roof:(. It's a sports car, not a bloody posers car. You DO NOT need a folding metal roof in a sports car. Why would you want something that upsets BMW's 50:50 weight distribution and slows the car down and use more fuel? If you want a bit of style and a BMW badge then buy the 3 series convertible. It has the folding metal roof too so you can wow the neighbours with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I like it - but I also think the current one is nice.
    lets hope they've got rid of the stupid run flats and people can drive this without fear of loosing their lunch

Run flats are only a problem with M Sport models. Standard/ES/SE versions have perfectly acceptable ride comfort as long as you don't go overboard with the wheel size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Looks the same on the outside, yuk!.. I wouldn't be seen dead in one:)

E92 wrote: »
    My suspicion that BMW are losing their direction is only heightened by the fact it has a bloody folding metal roof:(. It's a sports car, not a bloody posers car. You DO NOT need a folding metal roof in a sports car. Why would you want something that upsets BMW's 50:50 weight distribution and slows the car down and use more fuel? If you want a bit of style and a BMW badge then buy the 3 series convertible. It has the folding metal roof too so you can wow the neighbours with it.

I agree with all your post except the above. I was driving a Z4 for a few days last year and it was excellent fun driving hard with the top down(noise, etc) and it wasnt even very hot weather. However I am not a big fan of the look of the soft top when closed so I think you get the best of both worlds with a hard top convertible.

Advertisement