Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile phone reception Knocklyon

Options
  • 15-12-2008 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

there has been in recent months a drop off in the level of reception to all mobile networks in the knocklyon firhouse area.
    when i rang vodaphone to see what the story was i was told that the reason was that planning permision had been rejected because of resident objections and so our service was being reduced. seems a bit like blackmail to me no?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Can turn i taround and say you want to eat the cake and have it as well. If they are not allowed to expand why would they keep up existing service (which for all we know could cost to much for the number of calls done in the area and hence the new mast etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's also possible that new mast's were needed due to increased demand for the service from new estates, offices and business. With the masts not going up and the demand still increasing you'll naturally end up with reduced service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Each cell can only support x amount of users so if they don't get planning for new cells theere's nothing they can do, its hardly blackmail if there telling you the facts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

OP how do you come to the conclusion vodafone are blackmailing you? Im not really understanding that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This reminds me of the time I took a call from a woman who was going mental that her texts werent sending due to lack of coverage, the reason? she was organising a protest to object to a new mast in her town as the current one needed to be taken down rolleyes: she didnt seem to see the irony

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

krudler wrote: »
    This reminds me of the time I took a call from a woman who was going mental that her texts werent sending due to lack of coverage, the reason? she was organising a protest to object to a new mast in her town as the current one needed to be taken down rolleyes: she didnt seem to see the irony

Same as myself, actually worked for Vodafone, and had a similar experience. Chap called up from somewhere out west saying he was organising a very important meeting and he had s**t coverage and couldnt make calls/send txts/emails. Checked the GIS system and he was basically on the wrong side of the hill. VF had applied for planning permission on top of the hill in a group of trees and he was the leading person objecting to it!
    clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

hey i didn't object to the mast, but where i get the blackmail type impression is that there was up untill the permission was rejected excellent service in the area therefore its a case of well you won't let us build a mast so were gonna **** you over.
    also when i rang vodafone thats basically what i was told

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

hey i didn't object to the mast, but where i get the blackmail type impression is that there was up untill the permission was rejected excellent service in the area therefore its a case of well you won't let us build a mast so were gonna **** you over.
    also when i rang vodafone thats basically what i was told

Sometimes a mast is boosted to extend coverage, until they can put in a new mast. If they didn't get permission for the new mast, they probably removed the boost, since it is only supposed to be a temporary measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

I think that the OP believes VF are reducing the service in his/her area because they can't get the mast up and hence are doing it out of spite, if you like. This is not the case, as others have pointed out before me. Refer back to posts by Gillo and Cabaal. But in short, it's a technical limitation caused by the lack of a mast or masts in your location, OP.

Advertisement