Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over Harsh on Leinster

• 15-12-2008 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Anyone else think the media are being over harsh on Leinster?

If we were told at the beginning of the season we'd have 15 points after four games, we'd probably have taken that. If were told we'd have more points than the other provences at this stage, we'd have taken that too.

We were missing, Cullen, Van Der Linde, D'Arcy, Horgan. Contemponi and BOD were obviously not fully fit. Dito Isa. If Sexton slotted a few more kicks we would have won the game. We could have won, if Holwell was picked but Sexton got was given his chance which is god for his development.

And afterall, no team rarely wins all six pool matches.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Oh they've been banging on about them with the arrogance of a supporter who thinks their team should never lose. Leinster have 3 wins out of 4 with 3 bonus points and lead the table with two games to play. Had they strolled the group the pundits would be saying they've no chance in the playoff stages as they haven't been tested yet etc...etc

I've never taken a pundit seriously anyway. They're basically forum posters who get paid to blurt whatever springs to mind and earns them profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

Completely agree.if they play badly fair enough,but it goes over the top with articles like neil francis yesterday in the tribund. At the last leinster v Munster game i had to endure the guy beside me shouting ''why don't you go get the dort'' and ''where's your cappuccino now?''. Now i don't care if your a lady boy or a cabbage sandwich muncher,a d4 head or a stab-city head,i'm just there to watch the rugby.articles like this are just bringing more bs into the game.francis should know better

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

I think a lot of the writers are justified in what they're printing. On paper Leinster could beat absolutely anyone - and with the players that were brought in, you'd expect them to be able grind out victories when they're not playing well.

Yes, players are missing with injury etc, but Leinster have quality individuals to take their place, unlike many other H-Cup teams. They make horrific decisions at crucial times (eg. against Castres BOD kicking that penalty with arguably the best left peg in Europe less than 10 feet away).

By making the big name signings they've brought pressure on themselves to compete at a higher level which the big players seem to have issue when it comes to stepping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I've never taken a pundit seriously anyway. They're basically forum posters who get paid to blurt whatever springs to mind and earns them profile.

Ah, nirvana!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

Thats fair criticism. It's reasoned and backed up with fact. Its just a lot of articles aren't.when Munster beat leinster there was three pages in the times.when leinster beat Munster there was half a page.there are more Munster fans in the country so they'll sell more papers with articles praising Munster and leinster articles entitled ''leinster ladyboys''. People will pick up what they want to read,not the truth.
    The two lowest circulation days in the last ten years for the sun in england were both days when england were knocked out of major tournaments.people will read what they want to read and the papers write to meet that expectation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a lot of the problem i think is that some players are over hyped, supporters believeing blindly that because these guys are so good all leinster have to do is to turn up, players have to gel, also they have to stand up and be counted, a team game has no room for prima donnas, what is required is guys who back each other up, fight for each other, and espically no verbals to team mates, if a player cannot encourage they should say nothing, a long time ago when i started out coaching, i said to another coach that i had a couple for good players, i was told that in their own patch they may be good, 10 miles down the road they may be reasonably good, but when they reach the next city it is then that i would find out what i have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

15 points after 4 games 1 match loss so far is not bad it was good to see cian healy get a game! The media should lay off leinster in stead of always being a monkey on their back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

gcgirl wrote: »
    15 points after 4 games 1 match loss so far is not bad it was good to see cian healy get a game! The media should lay off leinster in stead of always being a monkey on their back !

Think there's an element of truth in that gc, but you have to say (as long as we're using back-related metaphors) that Leinster don't half contribute in giving the media a rod for aforementioned body part!

It isn't, as I've said before, the fact of the loss, it's the manner of it. Now any team can suffer a loss of form, and I'm sure Leinster will bang their heads together and come back ( I for one look forward to eating me hat), but I reckon the stuff I've read this weekend was pretty much on the money, one or two pieces of silly hyperbole, from the usual suspects, aside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

If we were told at the beginning of the season we'd have 15 points after four games, we'd probably have taken that. If were told we'd have more points than the other provences at this stage, we'd have taken that too.

We were missing, Cullen, Van Der Linde, D'Arcy, Horgan. Contemponi and BOD were obviously not fully fit. Dito Isa. If Sexton slotted a few more kicks we would have won the game. We could have won, if Holwell was picked but Sexton got was given his chance which is god for his development.

More points than the other provinces?
    Don't make me laugh. Look at the groups. Clermont and Sale in Munster's Stade and Quins and Scarlets in Ulsters!
    Leinster have Wasps - that's it Wasps.
    Leinster have by far the easiest draw of all the Irish teams.
    Would anyone put money on Leinster getting out of the groups that the other Irish teams find themselves in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Have you read the thread on the Catres/Leinster match on this forum? There's a lot of supporters laying into the team and management, hardly fair to single out the media as being over harsh on Leinster. One even suggests that it's, all over for them now. I still think Leinster will make the QF but they haven't done their chances of a home QF any good and if it's not at Munster's expense then I hope they go further.

BTW - their performances this year in the H/Cup haven't been great even in walloping Wasps, as someone mentioned elsewhere, they're the best ****e team of the four in the group and that about sums them up for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It's an interesting point...

Allow the bias and blind hope of a fan here.

Last season, we won the Magner's League, and beat Munster quite handily in the process. The HC was a huge disappointment, but all the signs were there that Leinster were coming together.

So the rumours are (last season) that Rocky Elsom and CJ van der Linde are going to Leinster. Given our loss of Gleeson and lack of world class players in teh front row for any Irish team, those two signings looked magnificent. Injuries aside, a Leinster team full strength could be...

15. Kearney (or Dempsey)
    14. Horgan (or Kearney - form dependant)
    13. BOD
    12. Gordon D'arcy
    11. Luke Fitzgerald
    10. Contepomi
    9. Whitaker

8. Heaslip
    7. Jennings
    6. Rocky Elsom
    5. Mal
    4. Leo Cullen
    3. CJ
    2. Jackman
    1. Stan Wright

Now look at that team - every single back's an international. And some good players on the bench too. Most of the pack is of international standard. Jennings at Leicester was almighty, with him and Elsom in the backrow, as well as the massive talent of Heaslip, it looks on paper to be the best backrow in Europe. The front five is as strong a Leinster one as there's been in years. As for that backline, come on, there's no-one who could touch it other than maybe Toulouse.

That team has not actually ever lined up for Leinster. Injuries have been a problem - Leo Cullen's a massive loss for one thing - and so has a huge lack of form. Van der Linde's been mediocre. The pack has at times looked a bit weak. Whitaker's been slow at moving the ball out, out-half's been a problem all season...

That Leinster team on form has as much chance to win the HC as anyone. In terms of talent, only teams near them would be Munster, Ospreys and Toulouse. Stade Leicester and all the old guard would always be capable of doing some damage, but as is the way of the HC, get out of the group stage and you leave a lot of quality teams behind.

If Leinster hadn't won a title last season and then signed two of the best players in teh Southern Hemisphere, fans expectation levels would not have been so high. Games like the Wasps match further served too increase expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Maybe it's because leinster have been known as bottlers in the HC. Play great rugby, have great hope and then lose a match they should win eg Castres.
    Leinster will only get respect when they win the HC, simple as.
    Sure the media will be harsh on them but the media are expecting a munster, a team that doesn't bottle it in the HC and if they lose they put in a great performance full of pride eg Biarritz.
    Hey at least ye get publicity, poor ulster and connacht are left on the shelves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

every back is an international, granted, but of what quatity,

d-gal wrote: »
    Maybe it's because leinster have been known as bottlers in the HC. Play great rugby, have great hope and then lose a match they should win eg Castres.
    Leinster will only get respect when they win the HC, simple as.
    Sure the media will be harsh on them but the media are expecting a munster, a team that doesn't bottle it in the HC and if they lose they put in a great performance full of pride eg Biarritz.
    Hey at least ye get publicity, poor ulster and connacht are left on the shelves!

I think Ulster are starting to show signs that they could prove a very good team in a year or two.

The media are pandering to a Munster team whose dedicated following is butressed by a large number of less involved fans who are new converts to supporting rugby. The press writes to those fans when they talk about passion.

On the pitch, neither team is more passionate than the other, they're all dedicated professionals after all.

old boy wrote: »
    every back is an international, granted, but of what quatity,

D'arcy and O'Driscoll would be amongst the best centres professional rugby has seen. Kearney was hailed by the SH press this summer as a world class full back who'll go on to be one of the best in the world, Luke Fitzgerald's one of the most exciting backs we've produced in years and Shane Horgan's not as good as he was but he was a supremely athletic winger who tore through countless defences for Ireland and Leinster.

As for Contepomi, one of the best 10s or 12s Argentina have had, and Whitaker was kept out of the Aussie side by Gregan.

Rather good backs actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I think a lot of the writers are justified in what they're printing. On paper Leinster could beat absolutely anyone - and with the players that were brought in, you'd expect them to be able grind out victories when they're not playing well.
    Where are you getting that from?
    There's very few Leinster players who "on paper" would walk into team in the H Cup. Very few. There's always a bit of juggling to get a decent 15 out. A simple example is we have 3 decent full backs and play one on the wing and one at center.
    By making the big name signings they've brought pressure on themselves to compete at a higher level which the big players seem to have issue when it comes to stepping up.
    At least 15 teams in Europe have big money signings.

d-gal wrote: »
    I disagree with that. You get beaten because they other team were usually better than you. "Bottling it" is usually just rhetoric.

I disagree with that. You get beaten because they other team were usually better than you. "Bottling it" is usually just rhetoric.

I wouldn't say Castres were better than Leinster at all. Just that they took their opportunities which were gifted to them by Leinster.

There is a lot of rhetoric involved in Irish rugby though...

D'arcy and O'Driscoll would be amongst the best centres professional rugby has seen. Kearney was hailed by the SH press this summer as a world class full back who'll go on to be one of the best in the world, Luke Fitzgerald's one of the most exciting backs we've produced in years and Shane Horgan's not as good as he was but he was a supremely athletic winger who tore through countless defences for Ireland and Leinster.

As for Contepomi, one of the best 10s or 12s Argentina have had, and Whitaker was kept out of the Aussie side by Gregan.

Rather good backs actually.
    W.R.T. the Castres game:
    9. Whitaker is no-way near the scrum half Gregan was or he was. He takes several steps before passing.
    10. Sexton - is a development player. We could have played Isa or Felipe if fit or Holwell if we didn't care about giving Sexton his chance.
    11. Kearny - not a winger. Much better FB where you can run hard lines and approach tackles head on.
    12. Fitz - Arguably not a center. A better winger or FB.
    13. BOD - No way was he fit.
    14. Keogh - A squad player.
    15. Dempsey - Hardly world class. He only got so many caps for Ireland because we had no other full backs.

Basically, we had no right to expect to just beat Castres. Either did the media. But the media, blow them up and then hit them down.

Munster are heros for beating 14 men. It's not often you see 15 players loose to 14 men in Rugby and for the second time Munster this season got out at home to a French team.

I wouldn't say Castres were better than Leinster at all. Just that they took their opportunities which were gifted to them by Leinster.

There is a lot of rhetoric involved in Irish rugby though...

Indeed. You always have a chance if you have a good kicker, to slot home your penalities. That was the difference between the sides. Big deal. We gave an young Irish player a chance on a big stage.

I think there's just a huge amount of hype with all the provinces. I'd prefer them all to do worse if it meant Ireland and Irish Rugby did better.

In fact, there's hype all over Europe, we rely on huge number of imports from the SH to have decent teams.

While the SH develop their players, we pay their professionals.

A wee bit of a joke me thinks.

• Advertisement

W.R.T. the Castres game:
    9. Whitaker is no-one near the scrum half Gregan was or he was. He takes several steps before passing.
    10. Sexton - is a development player. We could have played Isa or Felipe if fit or Holwell if we didn't care about giving Sexton his chance.
    11. Kearny - not a winger. Much better FB where you can run hard lines and approach tackles head on.
    12. Fitz - Arguably not a center. A better winger or FB.
    13. BOD - No way was he fit.
    14. Keogh - A squad player.
    15. Dempsey - Hardly world class. He only got so many caps for Ireland because we had no other full backs.

Basically, we had no right to expect to just beat Castres. Either did the media. But the media, blow them up and then hit them down.

Munster are heros for beating 14 men. It's not often you see 15 players loose to 14 men in Rugby and for the second time Munster this season got out at home to a French team.

Regarding Leinster - that Leinster team is still better than Castres who are second from bottom in the Top 14.

And while I agree with most of what you say about hte backs there ( I don't think Dempsey's world class, I do think he's very good, he kept Geordan Murphy out of the team for donkey's years after all) that's still a better back line than Castres could muster.

Leinster could and should have thrashed them. No they're nowhere near full strength, but they've got a decent squad. Take Keogh, he did well enough at Quins, and he looks a decent winger with a nice turn of speed and good feet. No he's not going to make the Ireland team, but he's good enough to play a team like Castres.

As for the Munster game, they almost lost to that Clermont team which would have been a farce, but Niall Ronan's try at the end adds the gloss and makes the result appear a lot prettier than it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Regarding Leinster - that Leinster team is still better than Castres who are second from bottom in the Top 14.

Do good teams get beaten up by teams they're 'still better than' ?
    And while I agree with most of what you say about hte backs there ( I don't think Dempsey's world class, I do think he's very good, he kept Geordan Murphy out of the team for donkey's years after all) that's still a better back line than Castres could muster.

The Leinster back line may have had better potential than their counterparts in Castres, but they didn't execute, so potential is academic.
    Leinster could and should have thrashed them .. Munster .. almost lost to that Clermont team which would have been a farce

Leinster lost a game they should won. Munster won a game they should have lost.

Munster earned their praise; Leinster earned their criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Fair points. I think people were just disappointed they couldn't put away a mediocre Castres team. Still 15 points with a big points difference and big try count is good going at this stage. Even if they fail to win the group, they're almost certain to get a qualifying spot. I still think Leinster have it in them to beat Wasps away. Wasps looked a poor side against Edinburgh and i believe Leinster won't be as careless and stupid next time out, and can beat this Wasps team, they certainly have it in them. A home QF is definitely on the cards if they can beat Wasps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

It's an interesting point...

Now look at that team - every single back's an international. And some good players on the bench too. Most of the pack is of international standard. Jennings at Leicester was almighty, with him and Elsom in the backrow, as well as the massive talent of Heaslip, it looks on paper to be the best backrow in Europe. The front five is as strong a Leinster one as there's been in years. As for that backline, come on, there's no-one who could touch it other than maybe Toulouse.

Don't think anyone would argue with the quality of Leinster's players, on paper they should have maximum points given the poor standard of the rest of their group.

Although Neil Francis was probably a bit OTT in his criticism in the tribune yesterday and last week (don't know what the rest of the pundits have been saying) it seems to me his criticism is born out of frustration that the above set (weather all fit or not ) should be doing better given their on-paper pedigree. They do seem to have touch of Ireland'itus (whatever that is) right now. However if they can go and win at Wasp's they still have abig chance to redeem themselves.

And really I don't think harsh criticism can do too much harm at this point, perhaps if they read some of it they might wake up and smell the coffee and start playing for the team, same goes for Ireland. Jury is still out on Munster at the moment they seem to do just enough but still aren't playing anything close 80 minutes of their potential game, or even half of it, they will also need to be careful or their European title might be gone sooner than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

Jury is still out on Munster at the moment they seem to do just enough but still aren't playing anything close 80 minutes of their potential game, or even half of it, they will also need to be careful or their European title might be gone sooner than expected.

I agree with you that Munster are scraping by at the moment, but isn't that what happened last season? They did just enough to get through the group stage, and then peaked for the knock-out stages. I'm not saying that it'll happen exactly like that this season, but I'd have more faith in them than Leinster to up their game when it really matters.

That said, if Leinster can beat Wasps and get themselves a home QF, followed by a home SF, they could easily find themselves in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Exactly. Media coverage is extremely annoying... FFS Munster were obliterated up front at home for 40 minutes+ by 7 forwards.

I don't think anyone in the media is making heroes out of Munster for simply beating a 14 man team, that just wouldn't make sense.

The praise I have read in the media for Munsters win was based on the fact that they didn't panic, stuck to their guns and pulled it off, victory from the jaws of defeat and all that, not the other way around which is what Leinster are being criticised for.

Munsters overall performance was not good save a few brief spells in the first half, I think that is well recognised in the media reports I have been reading, and amongst Munster supporters I have been talking to.

And myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ch2008 wrote: »
    Thats fair criticism. It's reasoned and backed up with fact. Its just a lot of articles aren't.when Munster beat leinster there was three pages in the times.when leinster beat Munster there was half a page.there are more Munster fans in the country so they'll sell more papers with articles praising Munster and leinster articles entitled ''leinster ladyboys''. People will pick up what they want to read,not the truth.
    The two lowest circulation days in the last ten years for the sun in england were both days when england were knocked out of major tournaments.people will read what they want to read and the papers write to meet that expectation

Sorry, when did Leinster beat Munster in the HEC? Also, I'd there's alot more copies of the times sold in Leinster/Dublin then in Munster. Unless your claiming it's only Munster fans in Leinster who buy it...
    karmabass wrote: »
    Exactly. Media coverage is extremely annoying... FFS Munster were obliterated up front at home for 40 minutes+ by 7 forwards.

Munster won, Leinster didnt, and throw away a golden oppurtunity to secure a home QF, and at the very least gurantee qualification.

For all the Leinster fans who are here complaining, were you all pleased with the performance on Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

zenmonk wrote: »
    More points than the other provinces?
    Don't make me laugh. Look at the groups. Clermont and Sale in Munster's Stade and Quins and Scarlets in Ulsters!
    Leinster have Wasps - that's it Wasps.
    Leinster have by far the easiest draw of all the Irish teams.
    Would anyone put money on Leinster getting out of the groups that the other Irish teams find themselves in?

Here here. Munster won and Leinster lost. Leinster got a bit of a slapping in the papers, big deal. It happens. Munster gets slapped in the press too some times.

I don;t believe for a second that the papers are biased towards Munster and picking on Leinster. Its a bit of a conspiracy theory.

All Leinster need to do is just go out and play well again, they will do well in HC this year and the best of luck to them. Just roll with the punches and stop sulking when the press give you a bit of a slapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Leinster would do well to take a leaf from the Munster book and use criticism as a motivational tool, instead of complaining about it.

The praise I have read in the media for Munsters win was based on the fact that they didn't panic, stuck to their guns and pulled it off, victory from the jaws of defeat and all that, not the other way around which is what Leinster are being criticised for.
    Yes but big deal. Munster play a good territory game, have a pack that know each other inside out (and god knows how many internatial caps between them) and a world class kicker. So big deal, they beat a 14 man French team at home, that they were hot favourites to beat before the game.

Why do people / media have to go on and on and on and on and on and on about it?

Leinster, who I certainly felt only had about a 65% chance of winning (otherwise I would have put money on it) that game before the game, didn't. They lost it by a score.

Suppose CA didn't geta player sent off. Beat Munster coz their pack didn't tire out. And Castres had a player sent off which meant Leinster came home against them.

What then?

What we are talking about is thin lines between success and failure. Some of it is luck, some of it just because you are better.

But to the media, it's all chalk and cheese - cr*p.

I remember Castres beat Munster in a pool game a few years back. Different reaction from the media then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Leinster would do well to take a leaf from the Munster book and use criticism as a motivational tool, instead of complaining about it.
    Er, I don't believe any of the people posting to complain about, what they feel to be overly harsh reporting, actually play for Leinster, so to say that is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

There's big pressure of Leinster's shoulders this year even more then last. They were a mile ahead of any other team in the Magners League bar none and lets not talk crap about teams not caring because they still went about putting a huge distance between themselves and second. They hammered Castre's at home playing miserably, a few people said they needed to get their act together before going away as they ll have the kitchen sink thrown at them. They obviously didnt and we got a very stagnant performance against a Castre side more up for it in terms of most of the aspects of the game.

The squad Leinster have this year is extremely impressive on paper there's names on the sheet which are world class players or very impressive club players but then on the pitch its all bit meh cant tell the difference. As i said alot is expected of them maybe too much but generally most people complain about the same old things match in match out, players clearly unfit,players being played out of position and the game plan being so so so very wrong.

Look Leinster are a class act as iv said they have the players but alot of people including myself think the management setup is wrong and there lies the fundamental problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I think there is this sort of working class hero, righteous Munster image that the press loves to churn out whilst some (like Francis the other day) seem to paint Leinster as snobby, primadonnas however it really has nothing to do with the actual rugby and both images are undeserved by both provinces but especially Leinsters whose image seems to be one wholly negative.I do believe there is a sort of Munster painted as the good guys whilst Leinster the baddies in the media but I can't really put my finger on one particular article which is an example as its all very subtle.

Go to Munsterfans.com and look at posts regarding Leinster and then go to Leinsterfans.com and look at posts regarding Munster. On Leinsterfans posts regarding Munster are generally respectful whilst on Munsterfans posts regarding Leinster generally go on about how Leinster are ladyboys, O'Driscolls fakes injury for camera time, the players are only there for the money and don't care etc. and these feelings are brought about by the media whether they know it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The outcome of Munster and Leinster games over the weekend fit perfectly into the established stereotype. Munster, showing great character to eek out their victory and Leinster just pipped at the last. The media reaction to either is always over the top. I'd read nothing into the criticism.

• Advertisement

Y
    Why do people / media have to go on and on and on and on and on and on about it?
    No one more so than yourself it seems.

As I said it isn't a case of praising Muster for beating 14 men but rather praise for sticking to their guns, holding shape etc. Well deserved praise I might add.

I agree with a previous poster, Leinster should use the criticism not moan about it. I wish Leinster could deal with their problems(or not) here and else where without continuously moaning about what Munster can or can't do etc. etc. etc.

Truly tiresome, Lenister need to stand up and be counted as Leinster. Not as Munsters local rivals.

Next thing I'll be hearing here is that the Irish media are biased towards Limerick, the irony is pretty thick really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Stev_o wrote: »
    Look Leinster are a class act as iv said they have the players but alot of people including myself think the management setup is wrong and there lies the fundamental problem

I really dont want to start any petty sh*te that goes on too much here as is and am just given this as an opinion from a non- leinster supporter* do you not think the old trick of blaming the management set up has been done too many times before?

Also an interesting side note - the two candidates for the captaincy of Ireland have now both let their teams down imo by playing when clearly not fit - O'Connell limping around croker and BOD was no where near fit enough to start on Friday night

* Just to clarify I love to see Leinster doing well what I meant was they are not my first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I really dont want to start any petty sh*te that goes on too much here as is and am just given this as an opinion from a non- leinster supporter* do you not think the old trick of blaming the management set up has been done too many times before?

Also an interesting side note - the two candidates for the captaincy of Ireland have now both let their teams down imo by playing when clearly not fit - O'Connell limping around croker and BOD was no where near fit enough to start on Friday night

* Just to clarify I love to see Leinster doing well what I meant was they are not my first team.

Not really Leinster have had Cheika for what 3 years now? Or something along those lines and all they have to show for it is a one title. I mean they were at their peak at 06 and then it all went wrong and they got no returns for the best rugby they'v ever played.

Sure its the same argument we all went on and on and on about with Eddie, had so many talented players, had great oportunities but at the end of the reigns all he had to show was a few Triple Crowns which people saw as worthless come the second time around. The same applies to Leinster

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    I think there is this sort of working class hero, righteous Munster image that the press loves to churn out whilst some (like Francis the other day) seem to paint Leinster as snobby, primadonnas however it really has nothing to do with the actual rugby and both images are undeserved by both provinces but especially Leinsters whose image seems to be one wholly negative.I do believe there is a sort of Munster painted as the good guys whilst Leinster the baddies in the media but I can't really put my finger on one particular article which is an example as its all very subtle.

Go to Munsterfans.com and look at posts regarding Leinster and then go to Leinsterfans.com and look at posts regarding Munster. On Leinsterfans posts regarding Munster are generally respectful whilst on Munsterfans posts regarding Leinster generally go on about how Leinster are ladyboys, O'Driscolls fakes injury for camera time, the players are only there for the money and don't care etc. and these feelings are brought about by the media whether they know it or not.

If it's to be a who loves who the most competition, then Leinster must be the winners based on this comment.

There certainly is a view that in Dublin rugby is somewhat elitist and isn't in Limerick. I agree with this in that it is about 75% the case in reality. Dublin is also the Capital and like Capitals in all our neighboring countries is subject to a bit of provincial bitterness, not just a rugby thing.

Get over it! Move on. Bragging rights are with Munster right now, it probably won't always be like that.

Here's a couple of posts from the match thread, all Leinster fans as far as I know.
    So IMO

1) Sean O'Brien was very unlucky not to get that spot. While Elsom and Heaslip were great in the loose, our ability to protect ball and turn it over was SEVERELY lacking.

2)At times Whitaker was faster than he had been in previous matches, an yet at other periods he was slow as hell. He's still our best scrummie so hey, whatcha gonna do about it.

3)What was the story with Van Der Linde? Sorely missed.

4)Having two players who were suffering from injuries until last week backfired. Contepomi was good in the loose but suffered majorly as a ten.

Finally, that was, unless leinster can get a bonus point away to a still misfiring wasps, the biggest throw away of a home quarter final i've ever seen.
    RuggieBear wrote: »
    samestory as the whole season tbh....flashes of brilliance but contunualy ****ing it up with a terrible knock on or some other silly mistake. Can't remeber how many poinbts we missed from kicks...double digits anyway. Not going to win anything with out a decent kicker.

i thought the ref was bad too tbh but then i haven't seen a replay and everyone on here thinks he favoured Leinster :o Seemed to me that leinster were justly penalised for offences but castre got away with the same infringements. Ithought the final penalty of the game summed it up tbh
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    Leinster are out of the heineken cup now.

Even a losing bonus in wasps and a 5 point v Edinburgh may not be enough, which we wont even get, but if we do get it we wont beat the 1st / 2nd seed in the quarters away.

Another gutless, heartless, pussy, no aggression performance with no leadership, no one stepping up that has summed up Leinster rugby for the last 10 years.

Absolute disgrace and I think unless we turn this around and get a semi / final / win in the HEC this year Cheika should go, the team has not progressed and terrible selections have taken place over the last couple of years, gutless calls from the coach and poor game plans. We will go out this year by the way because we didn't get the bonus at home v Castres. Yet being conservative at home and taking 3 points when 9 points up against a team who hasn't set foot in our half was still the right call if you ask the coach who hasn't made a leader out of one player to know otherwise.

Absolutely disgracful result against a poort team and heads should roll. Sick to death of this and we need a coach who will b0llock the fu*k out of this team and get them playing.

Also having no kicker has cost us again. For the one millionth time.
    god that would rival Munster's game against Montauban absolutely dreadful.

Turn over after turn over isn't that what Jennings is supposed to be in there to prevent?

Gaffney needs to be talked to his idea of a flat blackline is delusional.

• Advertisement

Yes but big deal. Munster play a good territory game, have a pack that know each other inside out (and god knows how many internatial caps between them) and a world class kicker. So big deal, they beat a 14 man French team at home, that they were hot favourites to beat before the game.

Leinster, who I certainly felt only had about a 65% chance of winning (otherwise I would have put money on it) that game before the game, didn't. They lost it by a score.

What we are talking about is thin lines between success and failure. Some of it is luck, some of it just because you are better.

Hot favouirtes? In who's eyes? :confused: 14 men or not, Munster looked dead and buried at the end of that match, but they managed pull the win out, that's what was so impressive. Leinster should of cruised to victory against Castes, but they didnt. Are you telling me that was a good Leinster performance on friday?

The problem with the thin line of success and failure when it comes to the HEC Munster have always crossed that line, while Leinster have always fell just short of it. Even as a reletively neutral Munster fan it's frustrating too see, If I was a Leinster fan I'd be doing my nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Pff, if you mean the teams, then I think thats a pretty unfair statement to make.

If you mean the posters on here, then I think you should have a read of the NUMEROUS threads and posts where someone criticises Leinster, and gets told they're just munster bandwagoners, or someone criticises Munster, and gets told they have blue eyed glasses on.

There are a dwindling number of people on this forum each year who can actually take criticism of their team at all, and either accept it or debate it like adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

There certainly is a view that in Dublin rugby is somewhat elitist and isn't in Limerick. I agree with this in that it is about 75% the case in reality. Dublin is also the Capital and like Capitals in all our neighboring countries is subject to a bit of provincial bitterness, not just a rugby thing.

Well if we are to talk about Munster rugby then Cork is just as elitist as Dublin and in Limerick it is still the case that the top rugby schools are private. Outside of Dublin however, just like outside of Cork, it is not elitist.
    So I never understood where this idea of Leinster rugby being elitist when compared to Munster rugby came from oh and I don't mind at all to be honest I am just pointing out that yes there is bias towards Munster in the sense I have mentioned in my previous post.

Well if we are to talk about Munster rugby then Cork is just as elitist as Dublin and in Limerick it is still the case that the top rugby schools are private. Outside of Dublin however, just like outside of Cork, it is not elitist.
    So I never understood where this idea of Leinster rugby being elitist when compared to Munster rugby came from oh and I don't mind at all to be honest I am just pointing out that yes there is bias towards Munster in the sense I have mentioned in my previous post.

The top rugby schools arent private in Limerick. Muncins isnt private which is probaly the best, or best known. Castletroy won the double last year and they arent private.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 stan smith

We were missing, Cullen, Van Der Linde, D'Arcy, Horgan. Contemponi and BOD were obviously not fully fit. Dito Isa. If Sexton slotted a few more kicks we would have won the game. We could have won, if Holwell was picked but Sexton got was given his chance which is god for his development

anybody read the tribune last sunday on the leinster match.neil francis really went all out on leinster.twas some good journalism.

Limerick and Dublin are the home base for the respective teams, and the place they are most associated with.

BTW the top rugby schools in Limerick are not private. I went to one of them.

But since you bring it up, schools rugby in Leinster and the hype(sh1te)that goes with it is one of the reasons why rugby is viewed by many as elitist in Leinster. I would hazard a guess that there are more people with that view in Leinster than outside it.

Anyway it's off topic.

Personally I think Leinster deserve their critics at the moment (whatever about Munster, who or how did Munster get brought into this debate anyway), Leinster undoubtedly even under strength have huge individual talent that isn't being summed up to make a great team like it should be.

Pff, if you mean the teams, then I think thats a pretty unfair statement to make.

Why do you think that? As I said above the team isn't performing to the sum of its parts, I think they need to hear that, it's not nice to hear but true. It can't do them any harm, they definitely look like they need something to get them firing. Many teams have in the past used negative media commentary to motivate themselves, why would it be unfair for Leinster to do so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Because he stated that they were complaining about it. Which they're not. Nor have they ever. And so how the hell does said poster have a CLUE what Leinster use to motivate themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

Personally I think Leinster deserve their critics at the moment (whatever about Munster, who or how did Munster get brought into this debate anyway), Leinster undoubtedly even under strength have huge individual talent that isn't being summed up to make a great team like it should be.

QFT. Espeically the highlighted bit.

I think Leinster do deserve a certain amount of criticism, they have not learnt from the mistakes of the past and seem to repeat things over and over. For instance, Castres at home this season was very simliar to Edinburgh at home last season in the HC. A lack of cut throatness to get the BP required...

Because he stated that they were complaining about it. Which they're not. Nor have they ever. And so how the hell does said poster have a CLUE what Leinster use to motivate themselves?

Okay point taken, but I think the gist of the post is that the team should use it and not complain about it, which I would agree with, if the poster means that they are complaining about it I'd say that was untrue.

I guess none mere rugby fans of us know what motivates them or what they complain about or not but anything that can help to motivate Leinster right now I would imagine is to be welcomed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement