Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation

Options
  • 15-12-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Hi Not sure if this is the correct place for this type of question so mods feel free to move in necessary.

I have an apartment which has UPVC double glazed windows through out, there is a lot of mould and condensation around the window frames and the blinds have been ruined as the damp is spreading to anything that comes in contact with the windows.

Does anyone know what is causing this? I don't have any issues with damp in my own house which has UPVC windows as well. Is this caused by poorly fitted frames, is it something that a managment company should be looking after or is it something that would be covered by homebond.

Thanks, the tenants are on to me at the moment and I just don't know where to start trying to get them fixed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Condensation is usually caused by poor ventilation. If the air is not changed frequently enough, the moisture content of the air increases due to respiration of the occupants, cooking, showering, drying clothes etc. When it comes in contact with a cool surface, such as windows, or occasionally outside walls where the insulation is poor, then it condenses back to water.

I'd start by looking at where the additional water vapour is coming from. If the ocupants are drying clothes on radiators etc then this would contribute to the problem. Simply opening a window in the effected rooms would go a long way to sorting it out. Each room should have a vent to provide fresh air, make sure that it has not been blocked up to eliminate 'drafts'.

Two options, reduce the amount of water vapour being generated, or increase the rate of air change (ventilation) to carry away the warm moist air and replace it with cooler dry air and so prevent the air in the room from becoming saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Thanks for the very informative reply.:)

Advertisement