Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

returning to college -need course advice please

Options
  • 15-12-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

i am 38 and thinking of returning to college next year. i have been looking through the courses available on the cao form and find the choice available amazing but also a little overwhelming. i am interested in many different types of courses but mainly in arts or humanities or a business course with language. these have no relation to each other so i need some help in deciding. my main concern is that while i am more interested in the arts/humanities courses because of the wide range of subjects they cover the business course might be a more useful course in the future regarding employment. are the arts/humanities courses useful in finding employment or are they more for personal development. what careers can be pursued with an arts or humanities degree. thanks for any help offered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 comebackkid

sorry to bump this thread but need help with this.

i have decided i want to do an arts course but there are many similar ones available.

what are the most important things to consider when deciding on a college.

does any particular college have a good reputation for their arts courses. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Go to open days of the colleges (think UCD and Trinity's have just passed) to get a feel for the colleges.

Contact the departments of the colleges you're interested in. Also, look up their websites.

Do a search here for threads in Arts courses. I would also suggest to put a thread in the college sections of boards asking what people think of the course, Good points and bad points, what area they are specializing in, where they will go after they graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getting worse

Hi comebackkid

I went back at 42, now in second year Arts, joint major Maths and Economics. Want to teach, we will see how that turns out. Experience has been great, initially a bit strange sitting in a lecture hall after so many years away from study but now I dont want it to end.

I am at UCD, Arts course has huge choice and a lot of information you need is available on UCD.ie, but you won't really know until you get there. If you take the Arts omnibus you have greater flexibility and don't really have to make any final decisions until you have had a chance to try subjects out. Also you can get some help from the Mature Students advisor who runs some seminars, I think there might be one in January.

IF you are doing an Arts degree, I think it is better to choose subjects that you are interested in rather subjects you till will give better employment prospects.

Other than that really just take it one semister at a time.

Good Luck, have faith and make the leap if you can.

Advertisement