Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 don't support GPRS

• 15-12-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been posted before.

I got a 3pay modem from the GF for Christmas to use with our (often dodgy) Broadsat one-way satellite internet. I intended to use it as GPRS dial-up until 3 eventually get their act together to provide national 3G coverage.

I attempted to connect for ages, eventually having to use my Eircom 16kbps dial-up (sat not working, of course) to check the net for a solution until I found out that 3 don't support GPRS "roaming" on the Vodafone network anymore. They only connect on 3G signal.

She's gutted that she got me a dud pressie (and before the smartarses jump in, we were aware of 3's other failings from the m-m-megathread, but the lack of a contract was appealing).

So if there is anyone else out there that has the same requirements as me (and for your sake, I hope not) - beware!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Meteor are bringing out mobile broadband in Feburary.

Meteor have extensive EDGE coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yeah we knew that :P

They never supported data on vodafone's network. It's always only been voice and text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I knew that too, since s.o. here told me last week, so I found it quite interesting to see the boxed modem instore. The specs list as supported: 3g, gprs, etc etc... Bit naughty, that. Also, I have been told that in the Mobile Partner app that comes with the modem, it looks as if you have a choice to pick non-3g networks...

Still a sneaky club, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

strecker wrote: »
    I knew that too, since s.o. here told me last week, so I found it quite interesting to see the boxed modem instore. The specs list as supported: 3g, gprs, etc etc... Bit naughty, that. Also, I have been told that in the Mobile Partner app that comes with the modem, it looks as if you have a choice to pick non-3g networks...

Still a sneaky club, eh?

The only way you will get gprs is if you sign up to the 3gb plan on bill, this will allow roaming on vodafone.

Walkman wrote: »
    The only way you will get gprs is if you sign up to the 3gb plan on bill, this will allow roaming on vodafone.

Thanks ;)
    I'll make sure to sign up for billpay next time I buy a prepay product hahaha...
    Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Still a sneaky club, eh?

What is quoted instore as 3g, gprs etc is what the e160 modem supports, not what is available on the 3 network. They should have told you that instore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have definately made use of data whilst connected to Vodafone masts in the past, it seems to vary a bit though depending on where you are at the time though as it does not work in all areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

At least 3 have a 14 day returns option.

flodis79 wrote: »
    What is quoted instore as 3g, gprs etc is what the e160 modem supports, not what is available on the 3 network. They should have told you that instore.

I know... Especially as the box is 3-branded! If I hadn't checked here first, I might have bought it tbh! Especially as the guy in the shop said without 3g it's just be slower, but still operational!
    And come on:
    They are now on sale in Dunnes Stores! What expert advice can shoppers expect THERE? It's a bit dodgy if you ask me! The display, and flyers do not at all point out that the things are useless without 3g!!! Not even in tiny-print! And it appeals to customers who haven't dealt with 3 before,...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I know... Especially as the box is 3-branded! If I hadn't checked here first, I might have bought it tbh! Especially as the guy in the shop said without 3g it's just be slower, but still operational!
    And come on:
    They are now on sale in Dunnes Stores! What expert advice can shoppers expect THERE? It's a bit dodgy if you ask me! The display, and flyers do not at all point out that the things are useless without 3g!!! Not even in tiny-print! And it appeals to customers who haven't dealt with 3 before,...

What if you're a unlucky git like me who INTENDED to use it on GPRS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Thanks ;)
    I'll make sure to sign up for billpay next time I buy a prepay product hahaha...
    Sorry.

That was information not a suggestion

Walkman wrote: »
    That was information not a suggestion

I know. Sometimes I just can't stop myself :)
    Apologies!

Advertisement