Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick fish

Options
  • 15-12-2008 12:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a cold water tank with a number of different species in it- including goldfish, ghost koi, shibunkins and a lunatic pleco. For the most part I have pairs- sometimes 3s. One of the shibunkins which was purchased at the same time as the other two is roughly 1/3 the size of the other pair, and appears to have an abnormal sharp swelling to a point, midway between the dorsal and ventral fins on the main part of the torso. I am guessing its some sort of internal growth. Other than being vastly smaller and having the swelling- she appears to be healthy enough, and not displaying stress or any other sympthoms. Can I leave her be with the other fish- or should I remove her (perhaps terminally) in case whatever it is that she has spreads? It looks like a possible tumour or something internally that is attempting to breach the surface (I'll try to post a few pics this evening).

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Sorry to hear about your fish's misfortune. Would it be an infection ? It could also be a tumour of some sort indeed in which case there probably wouldn't be much that could be done.
    As long as the fish is feeding and not flicking/darting ... and the other fish don't show symptoms, I would observe and wait.
    However, some other experienced fish-keepers might have better advice at hand.
    A picture would be best really.

Hope this helps.
    ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com
    Email the Connaught Fishkeeping Society

Advertisement