Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job search

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm just about to finish a networking course in Cit. I know this is probably a bad time to be asking this but if anyone has and ideas or knows anyone that is willing to take on someone to kinda get their feet wet when it comes to IT and networking could you pass on their details to me please. I would really like to try and get some hands on experience in this field of work! Im not expecting top wages or anything like that. But all that seems to be going around at the moment is Project Management and jobs of that sort! Just working under someone who really knows what their doing would be enough for me! Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Hey,

Depending on how far away from home you wanna go, I'd say check Cisco out:

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac40/about_cisco_careers_home.html

They have an Office in Galway (Programming, I think they specialize in Unified Communications).

If you're a networking head, I'd say check this out the TAC (The average is 18 months to your first CCIE ;)) or AS program (You are required to take the CCIE lab exam in your first year!). If you're interested, give me a PM and I can give you more details

Regards,
    Ruairi

EDIT: I work for Cisco, so take this post with grain of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 October_Phoenix

cheers for the reply

Im just finishing up on my COMPTIA NETWORK+ cert at CIT. So I dont know how qualified I would be for anything along the lines of working for CISCO. I would very much like to learn more about it though! But how much experience would they be looking for when it came to working for them? My comptia course only touches a little on cisco and other subjects but dont go into a whole lot of detail on too many specific subjects! Im still trying to get my head around subnetting! LOL! But Im just looking for something to get my feet wet in this field of work, the experience would be invaluable to me. Im not looking for top dollar or anything like that but just something livable while I learn this stuff or atleast get my head around it! Cheers Ill check out the website too. But if you could get back to me it would be very appreciated! Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

cheers for the reply

Im just finishing up on my COMPTIA NETWORK+ cert at CIT. So I dont know how qualified I would be for anything along the lines of working for CISCO. I would very much like to learn more about it though! But how much experience would they be looking for when it came to working for them? My comptia course only touches a little on cisco and other subjects but dont go into a whole lot of detail on too many specific subjects! Im still trying to get my head around subnetting! LOL! But Im just looking for something to get my feet wet in this field of work, the experience would be invaluable to me. Im not looking for top dollar or anything like that but just something livable while I learn this stuff or atleast get my head around it! Cheers Ill check out the website too. But if you could get back to me it would be very appreciated! Jim

It all depends on what area in Cisco you want to work in. To be honest, I had basically zero Cisco experience when I applied. The company does not care what background you have, they're very interested in how your mind works, how you react to stress, how you troubleshoot issues and how you relay complex technical issues to non technical people.... wow I sounded like a marketing droid there :D

Basically, if you like networking, apply and see where it gets you. If you do get in, be prepared to learn every hour of every day.

The two main technical roles going are:
    NCE (Advanced Services) -- Basically plan and deploy projects for companies. AS services are not cheap, so you'll deal with HUGE companies and massive networks.
    CSE (TAC) -- Cisco's break and fix service. It's tech support, but the support engineers are experts in their field (I work in TAC btw). I suppose TAC is the best place to learn technology (protocols, platforms and all networking theory).

Sure, apply -- what's the worst that could happen! I honestly thought I had no chance when I applied 2 year back.

Regards,
    Ruairi

Advertisement