Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed robbery Druids Glen

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Dick Roche held at gun Point during armed robbery, Sky News.

Sikamick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BreakingNews.ie, RTE and the Irish Times are all reporting this now. Seems a sawn-off shotgun was used. It's an insensitive thing to ponder given that the man's obviously just been through a rather traumatic incident - and no matter what you think of him, being held at gunpoint isn't something anyone deserves to have happen to them - but I do wonder if Roche will be calling for a ban on sawn-off shotguns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Lads, I'm not having a go but I can't see any relevance posting a thread like this. Its only drawing negative attention to the forum.

I know where Sika mick is coming from... It'll only give the politicians a new stick to beat us with.

I'd normally agree without even thinking about it Jonty - an armed robbery is a crime and nothing to do with our sport and so we normally just delete threads about criminal abuse of firearms out of hand on that basis. But at the moment we're seeing calls for firearm bans to be brought in on handguns, and here we've seen a Minister as a victim of armed crime using a shotgun; the outcome will in all sad probability be of direct relevance to us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I can't see any relevance posting a thread like this

I agree - this has nothing to do with sports shooting.

It should be discussed in a forum related to crime.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Sparks wrote: »
    but I do wonder if Roche will be calling for a ban on sawn-off shotguns?

The shortening of shot gun and rifle barrels was made an offense in the Criminal Justice Act 2006, by inserting Sect 12a into the Firearms & Offensive Weapons Act 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

I'm sure the guys involved will lose their licences!
    we may see no relationship between gun crime and sports shooting but there is a very big issue at the moment with politicans seeing a huge link between them.
    so i think it is important to discuss this here.
    Banning legally held guns will have no effect on crime, maybe this incident will help ministers focus on the real roots of these problems rather than putting up smokescreens and doing things just to be seen to do something!
    Bryan

cushtac wrote: »
    The shortening of shot gun and rifle barrels was made an offense in the Criminal Justice Act 2006, by inserting Sect 12a into the Firearms & Offensive Weapons Act 1990.
    I know. I still want to see if the Minister calls for a ban on them...

B'man, I would normally completely agree - but the object of discussion here is not the crime, but the Minister's reaction to it, and that's only of interest because of the current state of play with regard to the sport and the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Lads wake up and smell the coffee, it is irrelevant that I posted this particular item here. It is on Sky News, RTE Tv and will be discussed on the radio, it will be in the papers.

For us to adopt the ostrich stance will not stop discussion and blame and finger pointing. Evey time something like this happens we have to draw attention to the fact these are crimes committed by criminals not Legally Licensed Firearms Holders.

Please listen to this debate:http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-marianfinucane-2008-12-14.smil.

Everything that happens re illegal guns in this country will be reflected on us.

I make no apology to anyone for defending my/our Sport.

Sikamick

Evey time something like this happens we have to draw attention to the fact these are crimes committed by criminals not Legally Licensed Firearms Holders.
    Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Normally we don't bother, because we're not criminals. But in this instance, with everything going on in the media and with a Minister being involved, I thought that his reaction to this was definitely worth following.

BryanL wrote: »
    I'm sure the guys involved will lose their licences!
    Bryan

Don't joke about it. Some thicko could actually believe that the firearms invoved are actually licensed!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Sparks wrote: »
    Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Normally we don't bother, because we're not criminals. But in this instance, with everything going on in the media and with a Minister being involved, I thought that his reaction to this was definitely worth following.

the irish times reports.....27621 hits does have a lot of complaints about
    linking drug / criminal firearms to the licensed firearm holders. I just listened to the live line link :o, like with the east wall killing what will the druids glen attack on the minister bring next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Jonty wrote: »
    Don't joke about it. Some thicko could actually believe that the firearms invoved are actually licensed!!

Yeah, Had a gun pointed at me once....felt reassured when I found the owner was licenced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

I'm not joking,
    Ministers believe that revoking licences will stop this sort of crime,
    you should ask them if they are joking!
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

RTE News:
    It is believed they made their escape in a dark-coloured, possibly black, Volvo.

if you look closely, you'll see that it was very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark blue.

:D:D:D

Sorry that it's completely irrelevant but I felt the need to lighten the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

spideog7 wrote: »
    if you look closely, you'll see that it was very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark blue.

Never buy getaway cars from a normal dealer- they'll shaft you every time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I know where Sika mick is coming from... It'll only give the politicians a new stick to beat us with.

Not necessarily lads, look at the flip side of it. One of their own has been threatened. A TD was caught up in an armed robbery. He has witnessed & experienced first hand, a very serious offence.

Maybe, hopefully, it will finally jolt the Government into action on dealing with the very types that are threatening the law abiding handgun owners in the country, and that the fact remains a handgun was not used to commit this crime.

I suppose the plus side is no revolver/pistol was used and that nobody got hurt obviously. But now if the politicians have their head screwed on they can convince Joe Public that all guns are bad mmmmkay:D and look for all guns to be banned.

Advertisement