Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with wordpress website

• 15-12-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Hey lads. So i sorted out a webhost for the year for free (digiweb free student web hosting). Downloaded and installed wordpress, which took me ages with my severe lack of knowledge with programming etc. Installed a theme that i liked. But then came unstuck...

Im trying to upload images onto the website but im not able to.Does anyone know how to do this?

When i try to insert image in wordpress admin section i get a response saying
    Unable to create directory /hsphere/local/home/kgillerp/kgillerphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

Im not sure whats wrong, but at the moment, the only way i can upload things is to upload them using ftp into the webserver and then post a link to that image. Not the best way to do things.

Help would be really appreciated. Anything! Please!

kieran

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

In your ftp client can you change the write permissions on the directories? I think there might be something about write permissions on the wordpress website.

It's been a while since I set mine up so I don't remember fully what needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

You need to change the permissions on the folder to 766. Are you familiar with CHMOD?

I'll get back to you on that other stuff later. Sorry I forgot about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Hey. I think you are both right about the permissions on the account, a friend of mine thought the same thing. But he didnt know how to fix it.

I dont know anything about web design or php or any programming, so i dont know about CHMOD, but it seems pretty straight forward. I was just tinkering around there, and could only see the choice of changing to 755 or 777, not 766. Also im not sure what directories i should be changing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

kgiller wrote: »
    Im not sure whats wrong, but at the moment, the only way i can upload things is to upload them using ftp into the webserver and then post a link to that image. Not the best way to do things.

Help would be really appreciated. Anything! Please!

kieran

I upload all my images via FTP. I find it very quick to use and it's handy when you are structuring your file/folder system on your server.
    Nothing wrong with doing it this way what-so-ever :)

Using the CHMOD commands should alternatively work.

I upload all my images via FTP. I find it very quick to use and it's handy when you are structuring your file/folder system on your server.
    Nothing wrong with doing it this way what-so-ever :)

Using the CHMOD commands should alternatively work.

Care to explain how this is done to a novice? I need help. PLEASE smiley_pray.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I presume you are using Filezilla so here's a tutorial for using CHMODs with it:

http://www.phpjunkyard.com/ftp-chmod-tutorial.php

Why don't you upload files via your FTP/Filezilla?

Using filezilla would be the handiest. Just right click on the folder you want to change the permissions for. The folder you need to change is kgillerphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/

I presume you are using Filezilla so here's a tutorial for using CHMODs with it:

http://www.phpjunkyard.com/ftp-chmod-tutorial.php

Why don't you upload files via your FTP/Filezilla?

Well, in wordpress, when u want to upload pics, u just click a button and select the image u want to upload from your pc and can organise them there. I thought that this was the default way of doing things with wordpress, plus the fact that programming languages like php and ftp etc scare me :o

Il read that tutorial now and see if i can understand it. Thanks

OK. Read that tutorial, and understand how ftp works.
    I have setup filezilla and connected to my server.
    I have uploaded an image to a folder.
    When i try to put it on the wordpress website using the "upload image button" i still get the error
    The uploaded file could not be moved to /hsphere/local/home/kgillerp/kgillerphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12.

I can upload the image by entering the url which links to the ftp upload, but then the formatting is all wrong, cant use the wordpress formatting.

Change the file permission on the uploads folder to 777 and tick on the box to recurse into subdirectories. Report back if that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

not sure if your dir is set right

/hsphere/local/home/kgillerp/kgillerphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12

it really should just be kgillerp/kgillerphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12

or
    wp-content/uploads/2008/12

EUREKA!!!

That seemed to do the trick. Thanks a million lads.
    I seem to be able to upload images straight from the wordpress site, without first having to upload from filezilla.

First i uploaded an image from PC to server with filezalla and then uploaded onto my webpage with wordpress (upload image button)

But then i tried to upload an image without uploading from filezilla and it worked too. Does this make sense? Or should i have to upload all images onto the server first with filezilla?

Also, did wordpress just create its own directory for all uploads and call it uploads/2008/12?

You will only have to use wordpress upload facility from now on. The directories are created based on the year & month of upload.

DarrenG wrote: »
    You will only have to use wordpress upload facility from now on. The directories are created based on the year & month of upload.

Sweet. Everyting seems to be working fine now. Been trying to upload some pics to my new site. Still need to change the theme to suit my own needs, and get everyting arranged the way i want it. Should take a good while i guess.

Thanks for the help everyone. :D

Darren: PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This caught my eye.

I have speeded up photo uploading considerably in the past month.

First, I upload photos to Flickr.

Then I copy the code into my Blogger account, or, even quicker, use the "Blog This" button in Flickr to send the photo directly to my blog. It works for both Blogger and Wordpress. You have to set it up in the "Extending Flickr" section of you personal account.

Advertisement