Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 pubs of christmas.why is it huge this year?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

eoin wrote: »
    Do you feel that way about going out in general?

I mean, if you're in the pub from 7 or 8 onwards and go to a club, the chances are that you'll have close to, if not more than, 12 drinks.
    havnt had a drink in 2008 due to becoming inreasingly disillusioned with irish lifestyle,how my mates and women act when drunk,how much richer i am, how much fitter i am,how every one wants a digging match when drunk,how people feel exonerated from blame when drunk, eg; i took ecstacy because i was drunk, i slept with her because i was drunk ,i hit him because i was drunk.

ireland is broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Q2002 wrote: »
    I'm guessing its a pub crawl to 12 pubs.

Not exactly rocket science!

No if it was, it would be called rocket science, would it not? Obvious to some, but not everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

have to say its more popular this year than ever. i have organised one for this sat and i know another 4-5 groups that did it last weekend. most of the lads that will be with me are well able to tank away 12 pints and we have never had any trouble and have done it 3 or 4 times.

the lightweights who cant handle their drink will be drunk anyway. there is no difference between drinking 12 pints in one pub or in 12 sepereate pubs, its the same amount!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

havnt had a drink in 2008 due to becoming inreasingly disillusioned with irish lifestyle,how my mates and women act when drunk,how much richer i am, how much fitter i am,how every one wants a digging match when drunk,how people feel exonerated from blame when drunk, eg; i took ecstacy because i was drunk, i slept with her because i was drunk ,i hit him because i was drunk.

ireland is broken

OK, so your problem isn't really about the 12 pubs, but with binge drinking in general.

I reckon that some of the people who think it's a stupid idea would probably drink close to that on a big night out anyway, but it's just the large amount of venues that seems to be the problem.

Incidentally, some people can handle their drink without being a twat. Certainly it won't be the most intellectual of debates, especially if you're sober, but it won't necessarily be nasty or completely retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

generally, i find that these events that you have planned means you would drink more than normal and still be well with it. like, on certain days that you'v been looking forward to for a long time, you'd knock back 10-15 pints over the course of time and not notice. a wedding is one example. 12 pints is an average night out in my opinion.

• Advertisement

OK, so your problem isn't really about the 12 pubs, but with binge drinking in general.

I reckon that some of the people who think it's a stupid idea would probably drink close to that on a big night out anyway, but it's just the large amount of venues that seems to be the problem.

Incidentally, some people can handle their drink without being a twat. Certainly it won't be the most intellectual of debates, especially if you're sober, but it won't necessarily be nasty or completely retarded.
    well it IS actually. this 12 pubs idea epitomises my problem with irish socity. if someone came up to me in the office and said "steve we are going to 12 pubs tonight,you have to drink a minimum of one drink in each pub,its gonna be mental" id say **** off are you 15 years old or what. it reminds me of the power hour when we were teens,where you had to do a shot of beer every minute for an hour in order to be lashed drunk. any "event" where the quantity you drink is an issue or the running theme of the night is nothing other then teenage debauchery.

for the record im no old fogie. i was 24 last month, was a piss head as a teen and over the years have come to hate the practice( you could count on 2 hands the amount of drinks ive had in the last 5 years. im sick of my mates (and most of ireland) living for next friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

well it IS actually. this 12 pubs idea epitomises my problem with irish socity. if someone came up to me in the office and said "steve we are going to 12 pubs tonight,you have to drink a minimum of one drink in each pub,its gonna be mental" id say **** off are you 15 years old or what. it reminds me of the power hour when we were teens,where you had to do a shot of beer every minute for an hour in order to be lashed drunk. any "event" where the quantity you drink is an issue or the running theme of the night is nothing other then teenage debauchery.

for the record im no old fogie. .
    You sound like one. You'd rather sit in the corner of the same pub all night. Maybe it's just a small town thing but we'd never stay in the same pub all night unless it was hopin'. It always annoys me when I go out in Galway with (friends that live in Galway) how they just sit in one corner of the same pub protecting their stools all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

generally, i find that these events that you have planned means you would drink more than normal and still be well with it. like, on certain days that you'v been looking forward to for a long time, you'd knock back 10-15 pints over the course of time and not notice. a wedding is one example. 12 pints is an average night out in my opinion.

12 pints isn't an average night out, I couldn't drink 12 pints in a whole day, most people who drink in my pub would have 6-8 pints for the night, however those who come out at 4pm for the night may drink 12-15 pints. Its this macho attitude I hate though, people thinking they're cool because they can down their pint etc.
    I can proudly say I haven't gotten sick from drink since Crete 2 years ago, that was only because the vodka measures are substantially larger.

I have generally no issues with 8-10 people doing the 12 pubs, they're generally 25+ and work together, they never cause hassle. What I can't stand are the retarded 18-21 year olds in groups of 20-30 coming in the door screaming and shouting, everyone of them trying to call their drink at the same time, they behave like infants and I treat them accordingly..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

any "event" where the quantity you drink is an issue or the running theme of the night is nothing other then teenage debauchery.

That's a fair point handsomecake. I guess because I won't struggle to have the 12 drinks, it isn't such a big deal for me. Also, I only drink bottles, and won't be forced to drink pints for the sake of it.

If someone said they were going on the 24 pubs of Christmas, I'd also tell them to piss off because that would be way over what I can handle.

I'm not saying that it's a good thing by the way, just that it will still be within a lot of peoples' comfort zone, and they therefore won't be forcing it down too much.

ScumLord wrote: »
    You sound like one. You'd rather sit in the corner of the same pub all night. Maybe it's just a small town thing but we'd never stay in the same pub all night unless it was hopin'. It always annoys me when I go out in Galway with (friends that live in Galway) how they just sit in one corner of the same pub protecting their stools all night.
    well i havnt been in a pub all year for a start.
    secondly im from dublin so it aint a small town attitude

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Maybe some people like a bit of banter between friends without the need to move from pub to pub or drink a small resevoir?

Maybe some people like a bit of banter between friends without the need to move from pub to pub or drink a small resevoir?
    But you can't talk in Galway pubs their usually wedged out the door. The only time you can really talk to people is in between pubs. I'd rather stay out of the pub altogether to be honest. but it's now illegal to hang around outside having a few cans and listening to some hippy playing the bongos.

But you can't talk in Galway pubs their usually wedged out the door. The only time you can really talk to people is in between pubs. I'd rather stay out of the pub altogether to be honest. but it's now illegal to hang around outside having a few cans and listening to some hippy playing the bongos.
    Well wtf are you doing inside then? Just drinking staring at the walls because it's too loud to do anything else?

I go to a pub (rarely) to chill out and with a couple of beers with mates, to have a laugh. If it's soo loud I can't hear myself then i'll usually get bored and go home.

Likewise I have been in a situation whereby people want to move from place to place and it pisses me off to get comfortable somewhere only for some twat to want to go dancing.

Well wtf are you doing inside then? Just drinking staring at the walls because it's too loud to do anything else?
    More or less, yeah. I'm hardly going to stand outside in spite while everyone else is inside shouting at each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

Isn't there a forum for these moany non-drinkers ?

Dave147 wrote: »
    What I can't stand are the retarded 18-21 year olds in groups of 20-30 coming in the door screaming and shouting, everyone of them trying to call their drink at the same time, they behave like infants and I treat them accordingly..

20-30 people means at least 20-30 drinks sold very quickly at average of 4 euro a drink I wouldnt be complaining unless they were causing real trouble, fighting or breaking things a bit of shouting I could put up with with the thought of the extra money I was taking in.

More or less, yeah. I'm hardly going to stand outside in spite while everyone else is inside shouting at each other.
    More fool you tbh.

More fool you tbh.
    Yup, haven't been to a pub in about a month though. There no fun without drugs anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I have generally no issues with 8-10 people doing the 12 pubs, they're generally 25+ and work together, they never cause hassle. What I can't stand are the retarded 18-21 year olds in groups of 20-30 coming in the door screaming and shouting, everyone of them trying to call their drink at the same time, they behave like infants and I treat them accordingly..

So you go around giving infants bloody noses by punching them in the face aswell? Jesus, stand up guy you are. If you hate them so much why do you severe them? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

the whole of ireland has the mentality of a bunch of 16 yer olds

Like OMG. I hope you like totally take back that comment like. It was like totally random. I bet you don't even have any 'crombie in your closet, cos I bet that your all poor and stuff. Totally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

God forbid anyone having any fun... pfft... Were you on that "drink sensibly" add? Have you had enough? :P

6 - 8 pints is average in my opinion, although if I stick to pints I rarely go over 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why does "fun" have to be so regimented?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

The bitter old fogies on this thread entertain me. :pac:

Why do ye subject yourselves to these drunkards if you've such an issue with drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

20-30 people means at least 20-30 drinks sold very quickly at average of 4 euro a drink I wouldnt be complaining unless they were causing real trouble, fighting or breaking things a bit of shouting I could put up with with the thought of the extra money I was taking in.

Reputation is far more important than those 20-30 quick drinks..

Yeah I love hitting infants, right after my sarcasm classes.

This stuff isn't 'fun' I'm all for people enjoying themselves but I'm not going to put up with students acting like ****heads, we refuse plenty but some get under the radar.

The bitter old fogies on this thread entertain me. :pac:

+1

Its awesome. This whole thread is like a dance-off between those who watch Matlock and Murder She Wrote, and those who watch The Hills and Americas Next Top Model.

/orders more popcorn

Reputation is far more important than those 20-30 quick drinks.

I agree with you to a point and personally I would rather not be drinking in a pub frequently full of noisy 18 year olds but on the other had I have come across crowds like this in the pubs I go to and it would not put me off going there once it didnt happen too often(e.g. Around christmas etc with people doing 12 pubs there are going to be some rowdy people in all pubs at some point).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

dry shítes.

Fizman wrote: »
    Like OMG. I hope you like totally take back that comment like. It was like totally random. I bet you don't even have any 'crombie in your closet, cos I bet that your all poor and stuff. Totally.
    im actually wearing abercrombie as i type!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

So we have the bitter non drinkers / rarely drinkers who have serious issues with drunken people, maybe because of previous bad experiences with drink / alcoholics in the family, or maybe they're just nonconformist.

And we have the "ah sure it's a bit of craic, bit of a laugh getting **** faced" crowd who get a semi hard on thinking about how cool and MAD they are because they've consumed some alcohol.

The epic war rumbles on.

• Advertisement

im actually wearing abercrombie as i type!!!!

I know. I'm in your walls!

Advertisement