Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 pubs of christmas.why is it huge this year?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

So we have the bitter non drinkers / rarely drinkers who have serious issues with drunken people, maybe because of previous bad experiences with drink / alcoholics in the family, or maybe they're just nonconformist.

And we have the "ah sure it's a bit of craic, bit of a laugh getting **** faced" crowd who get a semi hard on thinking about how cool and MAD they are because they've consumed some alcohol.

And the people who can hold their drink, and are just having a different night out for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

humanji wrote: »
    Why does "fun" have to be so regimented?

Otherwise how would we know we were having it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i've been on the 12 pubs for the last 3 years and i'm doing it again this friday. but i don't intend on drinking in all 12.
    the only time i completed it was my first time when i was 18 and i thought i was bulletproof. i ended up getting sick, and said things i shouldn't have said etc.
    i doubt everyone who goes on one drinks in every pub and not completing it is no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Charlie 22

Dave147 wrote: »
    Reputation is far more important than those 20-30 quick drinks..

Yeah I love hitting infants, right after my sarcasm classes.

This stuff isn't 'fun' I'm all for people enjoying themselves but I'm not going to put up with students acting like ****heads, we refuse plenty but some get under the radar.

Does your pub have your name in the title, if so please teach your thick bar staff some manners. my three friends and I were told to f**k off last week, throwing abuse at us just as we got in the door. fair enough if you don't want our business there are better ways of saying it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Random Bar Owners: We are losing money hand over foot, our businesses are going down the pan. Nobody drinks in our pubs anymore. Hold on.

.......Hey, you....yeah you, the group of 20 people who just walked into my pub to buy a drink each at 5 euro. Get out, we don't want your kind in here.

Now where was I. Oh yeah, we have no money. We need the government to help us. Ever since the smoking ban....yadda yadda yadda.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm doing the 12 pubs tomorrow for my birthday. Which is more important than Jesus'. Hopefully I won't even have to pay for most of my pints so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

shane86 wrote: »
    Ohh ffs. Not only is it a laugh but it is a great middle finger to our governments attempts to clamp down on having a social life. No happy hours, attempts to cut opening hours, offys closed at 10, it is the perfect protest :)

Yeah I'd say they are real bothered - like Brian Cowen is probably having sleepless nights over this ****!:confused:

To the OP - how do you know these people are doing the 12 pubs thing - do they tell you? And whats the difference between someone staying in the same pub for 12 drinks - surely they are even more a disturbance as they stay longer? And why do you tell people to keep it down in a pub? Is it a small, rural place?

So many questions, so little answers!

id rather have a bath with my grandad then go to 12 pubs with a bunch of idiots whos only mission is to get drunk.

That's pretty gay dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Kold wrote: »
    That's pretty gay dude.

Ya think? Jaysus, your clever, although you left out incest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm doing the 12 pubs this Saturday. Headin up to Dooblin and there is nice group of us. Just got an email off one of the lads there that outlines out route. Should be good fun, especially since I've never been in any of the 12 pubs listed (only been out in dub 3 times).

Oh and even though I can handle my drink and act responsibly on nights out, if I see someone who even remotely looks like they have the attitude of "Oh god like her come a big bunch of guys who are on 12 pubs and are only going to be loud and obnoxious"....i'm going to walk over to them and p1ss on their shoes. :cool:

• Advertisement

Ya think? Jaysus, your clever, although you left out incest

You never mentioned that he'd be sodomising you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

shane86 wrote: »
    but it is a great middle finger to our governments attempts to clamp down on having a social life. No happy hours, attempts to cut opening hours, offys closed at 10, it is the perfect protest :)

if getting drunk as much and as cheap as possible is your only social life i feel really sorry for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Quickfire

OK, so your problem isn't really about the 12 pubs.

Oh god. I feel so f*cking sh*t right now. Should've known that it isn't in my genetics to do this sort of thing. Ugh. I can't remember a whole lot of it.

Someone cure me. I feel like vomiting and it's almost 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've only heard of this concept in the last week or so.

We've one organised for St. Stephens day now, and just by chance there are 12 or so pubs in my home town, fits like a glove!

Oh and, if you don't like the idea - I respect that. I'll try not to hold a conversation around your vicinity. I can't guarantee that I won't tip the hat at you as we pass by each other though.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I'm doing the 12 pubs in Galway on Saturday, its the 2nd year my group of friends have done it, I missed out last year cos I was away. Have to say I'm far more excited about meeting people I haven't seen for, in some cases, years, than just getting drunk. I don't see why there's such a big problem with having an easy-to-arrange evening like this close to Christmas (so more people are home), and if it involves a small bit of drunkeness, so what. Nobody goes out with the intention of doing anything except having a good time, and enjoying themselves, something we should still be able to do even with all the recession sh!te.
    And I don't think there's any maturity issue with the idea either - our group has no "you HAVE to drink x number of pints" - if you don't want to drink too much, you're an adult, don't, if you don't want to go at all, you're an adult, don't, no one is holding a gun to your head saying "Drink everything, right now!". Its just a bit of fun, and I can't wait to be in the middle of all my friends, having the craic this weekend, roll on Saturday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Christ some of my mates want to get started with this around 3 on saturday in Dublin! I think i'll purposely land up there about 4.30. If they want to start earlier, well and good. I'd like to get to a club and to be able to speak somewhat coherantly to the wimmins.
    Oh god. I feel so f*cking sh*t right now. Should've known that it isn't in my genetics to do this sort of thing. Ugh. I can't remember a whole lot of it.

Someone cure me. I feel like vomiting and it's almost 2.

You did 12 pubs last night?

Fizman wrote: »
    Christ some of my mates want to get started with this around 3 on saturday in Dublin! I think i'll purposely land up there about 4.30. If they want to start earlier, well and good. I'd like to get to a club and to be able to speak somewhat coherantly to the wimmins.

You did 12 pubs last night?

Yup. For my birthday. A few of the barpeople threw in an extra because it was my birthday. I'm absolutely dying at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's 12 pubs of Christmas, not 12 pints. No one's forcing drink down the throat of anyone who doesn't want it. There's nothing stopping anyone having a non-alcoholic drink in any (or every pub). Or even skipping a pub or two. In fact, that's one of the advantages: if it's well organised and everyone stick to the plan, you know where the group is going to be at any given time. Whereas if a bunch of people just meet up in one pub, they may decide to move on somewhere else at any stage.

We have a pub crawl in work every year , usually 10 pubs or so, different route every year, e.g. in along Baggot St, or in from Ranelagh, or around Grafton St. Hadn't done in last year, were organising it this year and a couple of girls who hadn't been on it before said they'd rather just pick one pub and stay there, rather than have to move on every hour.

Did the pub crawl, they all agreed afterwards it was much better. Rather than everyone arriving in, getting settled, and talking to the same people for most of the night, you naturally ended up in different subgroups as you moved from pub to pub, found it a much more social occasion. Yes people were drunk by the end, and there's a few hazy memories, but no one died, no one threw up in the gutter, everyone enjoyed themselves.

If people don't want to do it, good for them. But I don't see the point in moaning about other people enjoying themselves.

[edit]
    Happy birthday hangover to Kold

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well wtf are you doing inside then? Just drinking staring at the walls because it's too loud to do anything else?

I go to a pub (rarely) to chill out and with a couple of beers with mates, to have a laugh. If it's soo loud I can't hear myself then i'll usually get bored and go home.

Likewise I have been in a situation whereby people want to move from place to place and it pisses me off to get comfortable somewhere only for some twat to want to go dancing.

Why do you think everybody who doesn't have the same idea of fun as you is a twat?

• Advertisement

Haha well I was certainly pressured to drink a pint in each one. Memory is incredibly hazy but I do remember taking a shining to a young lady but my powers of seduction only going as far as to staring at her and calling her pretty.

God why is it always the most excruciatingly embarassing memories that remain?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Haha well I was certainly pressured to drink a pint in each one. Memory is incredibly hazy but I do remember taking a shining to a young lady but my powers of seduction only going as far as to staring at her and calling her pretty.

God why is it always the most excruciatingly embarassing memories that remain?

It's not as bad as when you can't remember the end of the night, but you can't shake that fear that you did something really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

We did the 12 taps of christmas in the College bar a few weeks ago. 12 different pints.

Still managed to get into a nightclub that night and end up on stage of said nightclub...:D

MOH wrote: »
    It's not as bad as when you can't remember the end of the night, but you can't shake that fear that you did something really bad.

Haha the 'sinking feeling'. My mate Chris used to get that quite a lot. No, I tend to have flashes of terrible things that remain but the rest is lost.

Actually had 3 people ring me last night asking if I remembered doing this that and the other. Hadn't a clue! In fact I told one of them that I didn't even remember them being out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

12 pubs of crimbo is great craic. I've done it a few times in prior years and I'll be doing it again tomorrow. We won't be causing trouble or abusing people, just having a bit of craic amongst ourselves so I fail to see what the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Have to say I've only heard tell of this "12 pubs" for the first time this week! Can't stand pub crawls to be honest, was on one of those organised ones while on a weekend away this year...I was only getting comfortable in one placce and we had to move! Anyway, I've learned my lesson and won't be doing one of them again in a hurry.

If I was doing the 12 pubs, I seriously doubt I'd manage a drink in each of them (at least not the alcoholic variety), but you never know! I bet the groups who do them are less annoying than hen party groups......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Charlie 22 wrote: »
    Does your pub have your name in the title, if so please teach your thick bar staff some manners. my three friends and I were told to f**k off last week, throwing abuse at us just as we got in the door. fair enough if you don't want our business there are better ways of saying it though.

No it doesn't, we don't refuse any of the crawl generally, unless we have something going on in the bar ie. Darts finals, we turned a crowd away last week because we could hear them half way up the street and it wouldn't have been fair on the players. So far this week we haven't had much hassle, some fool got up and stood up on the pool table upstairs, went up told him to get out, no big deal. Other than that the usual shouting matches.

I probably couldn't handle this 12 months of the year, it's not a student pub, it's more of a locals and 20 somethings establishment than a messy bar, we just let it slide for these occasions.

I'm not sure which bar you're talking about tbh, pm me if you want, we are pub number 5 or 6, you can probably work out which one, and also who I am from my response.. I'm generally pleasant to everyone unless you piss me off :D

Edit: Forgot to mention that on Wednesday night I found footprints on the bonnet and roof of my car, along with other cars on the street, I didn't get out to the ****ers on time but I really wish I had, it's these retarded ***** that give the rest of the genuine crawlers a bad name.

Advertisement