Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snoring

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Dear All,
    I am having major trouble with snoring. I have had a recording of my snoring played back to me and I snore like a train! I mean it really is like Cartoon snoring!!! Thankfully I have a really, really patient partner who uses ear plugs and that helps somewhat. I will let her go to sleep maybe an hour before me so she gets a head start but I know that my snoring wakes her and she regularly asks me to roll over. This kills the intimacy between us because I like to cuddle up in bed before nodding off. I am not overweight, I am quite fit and healthy. My diet is good. I have quit cigarettes. I don't drink loads. I have tried special gumshields, nasal strips, throat sprays, snoring rings, electric shock wrist band things, sleeping with a tennis ball in the waste band of my boxers etc.

It really worries me and I don't get a great nights sleep because I am lying awake worried about it. I have broken up with girlfriends in the past over this because they have not been able to understand it - no matter how I tried to explain it! Its just not fair on my other half to have to put up with this. Does anyone know of any snoring solution which genuinely works??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Have you gone to your doctor about this. It could simple be that your air ways are too relaxed when you fall asleep and that they are colapsing in which case you may need ****** when you sleep it's not as scary as it sounds dad got a little machine that hums he puts on a nose piece and it gentle forces air into your lungs, walla no more snoring.

Or your snoring could be a sign of pollapse (wrong spelling) and I think these can also be easily removed.

Either way take yourself down to your doctor and explain the situation, if he can't help you he'll know someone who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

I have been to the Doctor and he says that there is nothing that i can do. The machine you are referring to is normally for Sleep apnoiea, its like choking when you are sleeping and it helps you breathe. As for the pollapse - I have googled it to try and find it but to no avail. I'll try anything at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

I have been to the Doctor and he says that there is nothing that i can do. The machine you are referring to is normally for Sleep apnoiea, its like choking when you are sleeping and it helps you breathe. As for the pollapse - I have googled it to try and find it but to no avail. I'll try anything at this stage!

I would suggest going to another GP. There is a misconception amongst some GPs that only overweight people over the age of 40 can suffer from Sleep Apnea. I am a a healthy, relatively fit early 30s male who has suffered with OSA since I was 16 !!! only diagnosed after many visits to a couple of GPs in my late twenties.

you might be able to contact one of the hospital sleep clinics directly and make an appointment directly. Early treatment can stop the onset of cardio problems, diabetes etc in later life.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Hi,
    I was watching 'The Doctors' - you just gotta love day time TV - the other morning, it's an American 'chat show' that is hosted by 4 real Doctors.
    Anyway, they were talking about, and demonstarated, this new technique for dealing with snoring. Frequently snoring is caused by air passing by your soft pallet, anyway, what they were doing was injecting sutchers (sp?) into the soft pallet, scar tissue would then form around them and would change the make up of the soft pallet and reduce, or eliminate, the snoring.
    I have no idea if this kind of procedure is available here. It was pretty painless and really non-invasive.
    Maybe something that's worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

trishw78 wrote: »
    you may need ****** when you sleep

Its oxygen spelled incorrectly for anybody else that was wondering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement