Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Waste Bins - how are you getting on with them?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to put this into the green issues thread, but I wanted to get the opinion of the average dub, rather than the people who frequent the green issues forum because they are bigger into recycling than 'normal people'. I dont mean to belittle them, I am just saying, if you had a casual question about dublin bus, you would ask in the dublin forum, rather than in the Dublin Bus Fetishists Association Forum.

Anyway, as you know Dublin City Council have provided a third bin for domestic waste. This is mainly for leftover food, potato peelings etc. Your meant to line the bin with newspaper for soakage, and just throw the stuff in without a bag. Unfortunately no one in the house buys newspapers apart from the metro, and that does not provide much in the way of soakage.

To be honest, I am not too happy with how we are getting on in our house.

First off, they gave us a small brown bin to put stuff in, and you then throw its contents into the brown bin. We have it a few weeks now and unless it is kept washed and clean caused a serious smell of mould in the kitchen. I bought some green bio-degradable bin liners but have been told if you use them the bin will be rejected, and the stuff goes off pretty quickly, so you want to get rid of it ASAP.

Also the brown bin is collected every second week and the Black bin is collected every second week. At the end of the 2 weeks the brown bin outside stinks, and I am concerned about it attracting rodents.

Are other people happy with the current situation regarding the bins? Is it just a case of getting used to it? Anyone any brown-bin-related anecdotes?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dont tell me no one has an opinion on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get eco bags, the are bio disposalbe and you can use them for your organic waste and put them in the bin so there is no need for lining wtih newpaper.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Get eco bags, the are bio disposalbe and you can use them for your organic waste and put them in the bin so there is no need for lining wtih newpaper.

These are the green-colored bio-degradable bags you get in tesco's? We have been told we are not allowed use them. Apparently the bin men dont know the difference, and have been told to reject any bins they see with plastic bags in them.

syklops wrote: »
    These are the green-colored bio-degradable bags you get in tesco's? We have been told we are not allowed use them. Apparently the bin men dont know the difference, and have been told to reject any bins they see with plastic bags in them.

I'm in fingal and have been using them and the bin has been emptied every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Yeah we use them and our binmen take it and we are in DCC.

• Advertisement

looks like i have bad intel. Ok thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Have those with the brown bins noticed a reduction in putting out the black bin?

We don't have the brown bins (yet), but I'd be interested to know if using it means that the black bin goes out less frequently - and, if the bin charges overall are working out the same as before the brown bin (or, if the brown bin is saving money for you).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

no i havent noticed any difference in amount of times i put the black bin out. still put it out once every 3 - 4 months

We have seen a difference the black bin is only going out every 4/6 weeks and that is
    a household with two adult and two kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Personally speaking, there's not much difference in the colder months, but during the growing season, the lawn and hedge clippings which would have traditionally gone into the black bin now go into the brown bin.

The black bin goes out every 10 weeks or so (2 adults, one child).
    skylops wrote:
    First off, they gave us a small brown bin to put stuff in, and you then throw its contents into the brown bin. We have it a few weeks now and unless it is kept washed and clean caused a serious smell of mould in the kitchen.
    We noticed that for the first few days and then decided to stop using it and go directly to the brown bin once a day or so with a plate of stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement