Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car written off while parked

Options
  • 15-12-2008 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

So I parked my car (03 Renault Laguna expression) outside my friends house the other day and while inside the house there's a knock at the door and this nice eastern european lady is outside quite shken saying "I crash into car".
    I go outside and her yaris is buried into my Laguna and she has shunted it into a car parked behind it.
    Damage to my car.
    FRont Bumper smashed
    Passenger side wing smashed
    Headlight smashed
    2 x smashed hubcaps
    RR bumper knackered
    spare wheel well buckled inside.

Garage reckon it could be a write off. So I haver a couple of questions

1. Can anyone tell me the book price of this car and 2. Is this all I can expect to get from the ins co?

I mean why should I be out of pocket because someone can't drive in a straight line?? If I only get the book price then chances are I'll have to put money I have not got towards replacing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You can't be put in a better position than you were in before the accident, the purpose of insurance is to put you in the same position you were in before the claim, there are exceptions, but for motor insurance this applies.
    So you can expect to get what the car was worth, not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You should get the market value of the car, in other words enough to buy another similar one. You can also claim for rental of a replacement car for a certain period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Engine size and exact model?

A 1.6 Authentique with 57k miles on it has a book value of about 5k.
    A 1.9d Authentique with 57k miles on it has a book value of about 6k.

I dont know what your insurance company works off tho, so this figure might not be accurate.

I thinks thats all you will get for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

scubagit wrote: »
    I mean why should I be out of pocket because someone can't drive in a straight line?? If I only get the book price then chances are I'll have to put money I have not got towards replacing it.

You are in a better position - you'll replace the car with an identical one for a lot less than the book value these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Gurgle wrote: »
    You are in a better position - you'll replace the car with an identical one for a lot less than the book value these days.

Not necessarily, the OP had a car that was driving and giving no issues. They could buy a lemon for the next car, even the best can get caught out, that could cost a fortune to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

OP get yourself a banger for the time being, loads on adverts.ie they will take a long time. was in the same situation this time last year (this week last year) and wasnt sorted till feb..

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Hi all, I have a query along the same line. My car was written off in an accident recently, the other driver admitted liability and her insurance will have to pay up. It was a 97 polo which was insured for 1500. Will I get the price she was insured for or just the market value which would be less than that I imagine?
    What is the max period for which I can claim for a hired car?
    Can I claim for a day lost at work?
    Do I just have to provide all receipts & invoices to the insurance company? They have not send out an invertigator yet to look at my car. How long does it take until I get the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Was the yaris registered here? with Irish insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

scubagit wrote: »
    her yaris is buried into my Laguna

Sorry for your troubles man, but that line made me laugh for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Glenman wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a query along the same line. My car was written off in an accident recently, the other driver admitted liability and her insurance will have to pay up. It was a 97 polo which was insured for 1500. Will I get the price she was insured for or just the market value which would be less than that I imagine?

You'll get what's known as the book value which is basically the cost of the car minus the profit a dealer would expect to make on it. If the insured value is lower you'll get that instead.

What is the max period for which I can claim for a hired car?
    Your policy booklet will tell you, can be anything up to 2 weeks.
    Can I claim for a day lost at work?
    Usually, unless you don't need the car to get there.
    Do I just have to provide all receipts & invoices to the insurance company? They have not send out an invertigator yet to look at my car. How long does it take until I get the money?
    Definitely!, keep absolutely everything and make a note of any phone calls or conversations.

Don't do anything with the car unless you get approval in writing from your insurance. Don't know about the other Q's but I assume they'll send an assessor to confirm the claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

"You'll get what's known as the book value which is basically the cost of the car minus the profit a dealer would expect to make on it. If the insured value is lower you'll get that instead."

"You can't be put in a better position than you were in before the accident, the purpose of insurance is to put you in the same position you were in before the claim,"

The above statements are mutually exclusive...

Its time the insurance industry was given a good shafting IMHO.

Unless you have a three month old car, total loss payout following an accident always results in you being out of pocket.

Insurance companies are, and always have been, a ripoff. They're always moaning about loosing money but when did the last one go bust?

Harney shook them up a while ago but more needs to be done.

Thieving cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fishtits wrote: »
    "Unless you have a three month old car, total loss payout following an accident always results in you being out of pocket.

Insurance companies are, and always have been, a ripoff. They're always moaning about loosing money but when did the last one go bust?

Harney shook them up a while ago but more needs to be done.

Thieving cnuts.
    Not always. I got €10,200 for a 2001 Subaru Forester S turbo auto in May, car had 85,000 miles and was in good (but not fantastic) condition. Even at the time, that was top dollar.

Advertisement