Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's actual speeds??

Options
  • 15-12-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering does anybody know what the actual download (real world) speed of eircoms broadband is?

I suppose I should explain

At home currently with Eircom my dad's company has broadband which according to my laptop and his desktop is 100 mbs though I know thats bs as the when downloading anything - the highest it goes is 100 kbs which is desperately slow for downloading any decent sized file.

The current contract was set up about 4-5 years ago, and as my father isn't the most tech literate, chances are it hasn't been updated.

So I was wondering for anybody that has eircom, is 1mb broadband actually 1mb per second (ie average song downloaded in 3.5-4 secs) or is that just advertising?

Hopefully somebody can make sense of the above, Its I'd hate to be paying eircom the same money for a slow speed, when their offering 7mb for only 40 euros a month, which I know is at least whats currently being paid.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Hi,

At home currently with Eircom my dad's company has broadband which according to my laptop and his desktop is 100 mbs though I know thats bs as the when downloading anything - the highest it goes is 100 kbs which is desperately slow for downloading any decent sized file.

100mbs is the speed of the network card installed on the machine, its the speed the network card is capable of and not the speed of the connection coming into it..

for 1meg, 100kb/s download speed is perfect, slightly above average of 70's actually. and no 1 meg dosent equal a download speed of 1meg/sec

im in work or i would go into better detail.. but ur fine

The speed reported by windows is 100mb as that is the speed of ethernet not the internet connection.

If you are on 1mb broadband 100KB/sec is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Big Chief wrote: »
    100mbs is the speed of the network card installed on the machine, its the speed the network card is capable of and not the speed of the connection coming into it..

for 1meg, 100kb/s download speed is perfect, slightly above average of 70's actually. and no 1 meg dosent equal a download speed of 1meg/sec

im in work or i would go into better detail.. but ur fine
    hmm..
    okay,

So then, currently I'm in college residences and downloading here I get a speed of about 3-4 mbs per second (actual speed - just downloaded 3GB autocad install file in about 9 - 10 mins )

What sort of download contract would that be? and do Eircom offer such?

(Cheers by the way, for the super quick replies:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

hmm..
    okay,

So then, currently I'm in college residences and downloading here I get a speed of about 3-4 mbs per second (actual speed - just downloaded 3GB autocad install file in about 9 - 10 mins )

What sort of download contract would that be? and do Eircom offer such?

(Cheers by the way, for the super quick replies:D)

That would be fiber, and no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

is 1mb broadband actually 1mb per second (ie average song downloaded in 3.5-4 secs) or is that just advertising?
    1mb broadband is one megabit per second. An average song is 3-4 megabytes.

A byte is 8 bits.

1mb = 1024kb = 1048576 bits = 131072 bytes = 128kB (KiloBytes).

So with 100% efficiency and 100% utilization the absolute maximum transfer rate is 128kB/sec.

1mb is the total speed of the connection. That includes all the extra bits that control the data transfers (overhead).

If you're downloading at an actual data rate of 100kB/sec thats very good. You obviously have a low contention connection.
    I'm in college residences and downloading here I get a speed of about 3-4 mbs per second
    Those are bytes, 3-4 mB/sec.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also bear in mind that any speed upgrades which you might be thinking about would depend on the quality of your line and distance from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Thanks for all the replies:)

Seeing how it is, I suppose I'll have to just download everything up here instead:(

I think the last time I tried downloading an os on the home network it took me about 3 days to download.

BTY sorry bout the whole bit/byte thing, I understand the whole issue its just I didn't think to properly format my text when writing.

I think the home network speed ties in with a 1mb connection speed, using limewire or utorrent etc.
    It gets about 108kB/s max or a single song downloaded in under a minute.

Though sometimes when connected to an ethernet connection it can download a song much quicker:confused: - in the region of 2-4 seconds so I don't know how that happens given that I have a (relatively) slow speed the rest of the time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why dont you check your router and see what speed you are syncing at?

Also in terms of speed you appear to be forgetting the type of site you are downloading from and the speeds of which those sites are capable of given the pressure they are under.

Advertisement