Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Club Cup / Championship

• 15-12-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Are these games on TV anywhere do you know?

Teams are:
    1. Gamba Osaka
    2. Al Ahly
    3. Man Utd
    4. Pachuca
    5. Waitakere Utd
    6. Liga de Quito
    7. Adelaide Utd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gamba Osaka 1 (Endo 23’)
    Adelaide United FC 0

Referee: Pablo Pozo (Chile)
    Crowd: 38,141 @ Toyota Stadium

Adelaide United line-up:
    20.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 2.Robert CORNTHWAITE, 6.CASSIO (3.ALEMAO 71’), 10.CRISTIANO (11.Osama MALIK 77’), 13.Travis DODD (captain), 14.Scott JAMIESON, 16.Daniel MULLEN, 18.Fabian BARBIERO, 19.Sasa OGNENOVSKI, 22.DIEGO (25.Robert YOUNIS 88’), 24.Paul REID.

Substitutes Not Used: 4.Angelo COSTANZO, 8.Kristian SARKIES, 15.Jonas SALLEY, 21.Jason SPAGNUOLO, 23.Michael MARRONE, 30.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk), 40.Lucas ANDREUCCI (gk)
    Yellow Cards: Ognenovski 21’, Cassio 33’, Reid 43’
    Red Cards: Nil

Gamba Osaka line-up: 22.Yosuke FUJIGAYA (gk), 2.Sota NAKAZAWA, 5.Satoshi YAMAGUCHI (captain), 7.Yasuhito ENDO, 9.LUCAS, 10.Takahiro FUTAGAWA (23.Takuya TAKEI 84’), 13.Michihiro YASUDA, 16.Hayato SASAKI (11.Ryuji BANDO 20’ (30.Masato YAMAZAKI 81’)), 17.Tomokazu MYOJIN, 21.Akira KAJI, 27.Hideo HASHIMOTO.

Substitutes Not Used: 1.Naoki MATSUYO, 8.Shinichi TERADA, 18.RONI, 19.Takumi SHIMOHIRA
    Yellow Cards: Yasuda 36’, Kaji 41’
    Red Cards: Nil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yeh,

I just noticed that the tournament has already been on for a few days. Man Utd appear to have a bye into the Semis.

Bugger - just noticed that Channel 5 have the game. It'll be Man Utd Vs Gamba Osaka at 10:30AM on Thursday morning.

...I don't have C5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Man Utd games will be on Setanta Ireland.

10:25am Thursday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

If you have a Sky box you can now get C5 by inputting these numbers:

h
    5/6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Utd must fancy themselves to take this trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Aidric wrote: »
    Utd must fancy themselves to take this trophy.

no to bothered about that mickey mouse trophy

just hope to see some fringe players get some games

heres the utd team that have travelled

Goalkeepers: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster; Defenders: Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, O'Shea, Evans, Rafael; Midfielders: Ronaldo, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson; Strikers: Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Welbeck.

would like to see this

Foster
    ---Rafael---Rio---Evans---Evra---
    Gibson---Scholes
    --Welbeck
    Anderson
    Nani-
    Manucho

those players but not particularly formation

If you have a Sky box you can now get C5 by inputting these numbers:

h
    5/6
    Genius! - Thanks. The last time I programmed this in it was blocked.

Kevin

Kevster wrote: »
    Genius! - Thanks. The last time I programmed this in it was blocked.

Kevin

Its been FTA for the past month. Go check in the satellite forum. Big thread on it over there. Shows Uefa cup games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

what day/time is the final?

• Advertisement

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    what day/time is the final?

Final is on sunday. Must be a similar time to above as they are 9hrs ahead of us in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

redout wrote: »
    Man Utd games will be on Setanta Ireland.

10:25am Thursday morning.

Perfect

The only time i have something to do between now and end of january and this match clashes with it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

no to bothered about that mickey mouse trophy

just hope to see some fringe players get some games

heres the utd team that have travelled

Goalkeepers: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster; Defenders: Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, O'Shea, Evans, Rafael; Midfielders: Ronaldo, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson; Strikers: Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Welbeck.

would like to see this

Foster
    ---Rafael---Rio---Evans---Evra---
    Gibson---Scholes
    --Welbeck
    Anderson
    Nani-
    Manucho

those players but not particularly formation

You have Manucho in your team but he didn't travel.

Also Foster broke his finger last week and didn't travel. He was replaced by Amos.

I think they will start out and try and win it. I expect a strong enough team on Thursday, then if we get to the final a strong enough team again. If we loose on Thursday I would expect a week team at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wonder how seriously the other teams are treating it.

Are any of the other sides mid-season or anything like that?

I think this competition is a fantastic idea, and will eventually replace the World Cup as the main football competition on the planet.

When the European Cup started teams held it in contempt, or didn't give it as much credence, much like this competition today. But we all know how popular the EC has become nowadays.

I don't view the opportunity to call yourselves "World Champions" as a mickey mouse thing at all.

I don't view the opportunity to call yourselves "World Champions" as a mickey mouse thing at all.

yes being known as world champions is nice

but its not a serious competition
    with the likes of

Gamba Osaka
    Al Ahly
    Pachuca
    Waitakere Utd
    Liga de Quito
    Adelaide Utd

im just suprised that fergie is really taking it seriousally

i was expecting possebon,fabio and Manucho to travel at least

just hope no injuries happen
    with Hargreaves out utd just dont need any more injuries in midfield

its a very good competition for scholes though

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

You only had to see the reaction of the Milan players after winning last year to see how highly the Italians regard the competition. Mickey mouse tournament or not the winners can call themselves world champions so I think it should be taken seriously. In years to come I think it will be a big competition so it would be nice to get your name on the roll of honour now while its relatively easy to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

grahamo wrote: »
    You only had to see the reaction of the Milan players after winning last year to see how highly the Italians regard the competition.
    The Boca players too, a few of them crying. Also, I remember Seedorf scoring against Urawa last season. He was still celebrating his goal to himself with a clenched fist when the camera cut to him 30 seconds later. Here's a few screenshots from after the final:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5331/pic1ge4.jpg
    http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/448/pic2je9.jpg
    http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3041/pic3nb4.jpg
    http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1678/pic4yi3.jpg
    http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1636/pic5os4.jpg
    http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1161/pic6ce2.jpg
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4239/pic7ke1.jpg
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6849/pic8bd0.jpg
    http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1678/pic9ms2.jpg
    http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/333/pic10hm1.jpg
    http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8523/pic11ya2.jpg

Galliani: "Everyone at Milan knows that this is our club's main priority for the season.

We will do everything we can to win this cup.

We are here in Japan for the sixth time and it's something special. Last night we were saying on the plane that of the many sides in Europe only one gets to come to Japan at the end of the year and we are very happy to represent our continent.

From the coach, to the ceremonies, to this Press conference we have noticed that we aren't playing in the old Intercontinental Cup. This Club World Cup is something different."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I don't understand the 'Mickey Mouse' tournament comments either. I'd love to see United winning this even it means making things a lot more difficult in our efforts to retain the premiership title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How is it a Mickey Mouse competition?:confused:

It's the top team in each continent.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    How is it a Mickey Mouse competition?:confused:

It's the top team in each continent.

right :)

mickey mouse was too strong of words:D

i see it more as a exhibition tournament

in the future it is bound to grow in statue

it just at very bad time of the season imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

yes being known as world champions is nice

but its not a serious competition
    with the likes of

Gamba Osaka
    Al Ahly
    Pachuca
    Waitakere Utd
    Liga de Quito
    Adelaide Utd

well in fairness if we beat the likes of these teams and win the trophy, who ends up being mickey mouse?

Don't Forget

I personally dont rate it. Scholes seemingly more or less said he doesnt either. I think its ridiculous to play it in japan for starters as it just to far out of the way. The USA would be a better compromise for European, Asian and South American teams.

A competition that is immemsely difficult to retain. Lets not forget that no club has ever retained the champions league. There are too many games in the English football calendar as it is and no winter break which is enjoyed by the other top leagues in europe. It would be less of a strain on Spanish or Italian clubs for example than on English teams. It is held at a ridiculous time of the year and if it is kept then it should be moved to the end of the season after the champions league final in my opinion.

Now I understand that south american and asian countries have a different footballing calendar but lets be honest the competition would have no pulling power if the champions league winners were not in it in the first place. Sepp Blatter is a fool of a man and this is his pet project. It is a worthless competition and having the title of "world champions" is only recognised as being the world cup winners. If you win the champions league you more or less are a defunct world champion anyway.

European competition yes, but sure the competition is full of clubs with the best players on the planet from all different countries of the world which cant be said for the copa libertadores or asian champions league. As I said, Sepp Blatter pet project which in its current format is not worth a **** and nobody even remembers who won the bloody thing say more than a year or two ago.

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    good day for me

united should walk to the final

wheres the competition in that

theres to many games in the calender
    id be fair pissed off if utd got some long term injuries because of this competition

imagine if carrick got injured utd are ****ed

Fergie - Title race unaffected
    We can win the World Championship in December, but we can't win the Premier League in December, so there's time to do that. Hopefully we can.

"It is a little bit of a handicap, but that's what happens when you're successful. We're here because we won the European Cup and I hope we're in Abu Dhabi next year as it means we're successful.

"So as far as I'm concerned the incentives outweigh without any question what happens in the Premier League."

Sir Alex Ferguson does not think competing for the Club World Cup will detract from Manchester United's ability to reclaim the Premier League title. While the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal continue their attempts to wrestle the trophy from Old Trafford, the European champions are in Japan battling it out for the world crown. Ferguson acknowledges it is not the best time to be away from England with the busy festive period approaching, but he accepts that success puts further strain on his in-demand squad. "Playing different opposition doesn't do us any harm, but the big incentive is the World Championship," he told Sky Sports News.
    Chance for a trophy

it just at very bad time of the season imo

yep, should be in an international break at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

As I posted in the Utd thread , We are in it , so lets try win it.
    Alot of people laugh at Celtic for playing in some ****ty European competition in the early 60's and we all know how that ended.

Yes It's the timing and location that are a pain in a**.

Des wrote: »
    yep, should be in an international break at least.

Hmm not sure how that would work. Every player from the clubs involved would have to be made exempt from International call up then. Otherwise clubs would be bringing second rate squads. It would have to be done during an international friendly break but even then some players might be playing competitive football for the country's due to different qualifying campaigns. The respective associations would then get pissed off about it and they are the ones FIFA try avoid pissing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

United should win it. Got one of the few years when its not a brazilian or argentine team that are south american champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Hmm not sure how that would work. Every player from the clubs involved would have to be made exempt from International call up then. Otherwise clubs would be bringing second rate squads. It would have to be done during an international friendly break but even then some players might be playing competitive football for the country's due to different qualifying campaigns. The respective associations would then get pissed off about it and they are the ones FIFA try avoid pissing off.

play it in a friendly window - with stipulation that it takes priority over all internationals - simpel really but when do FIFA do anything that makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I was absolutely gutted when Inter beat us in 06 in the final 1-0.

kida wrote: »
    play it in a friendly window - with stipulation that it takes priority over all internationals - simpel really but when do FIFA do anything that makes sense

But friendly windows don't really exist. Lets say the take the "friendly" window in Feb. Ireland are playing Georgia yet I think the majority of other teams have friendlies i.e (Spain v England)

So Ireland could be without O'Shea and Gibson for a competitive game. Hardly fair is? I know the Irish management and FAI wouldn't be too happy about that.

Then you might have a friendly window in Europe but not in South America. So the Argentina could be without Tevez, or Brazil without Anderson yet the other countries get to pick from full strength squads. Again they wouldn't be happy about that.

Then you might have a friendly window in Europe but not in South America.

All the International Windows are streamlined.

Des wrote: »
    All the International Windows are streamlined.

Asia has a round of competitive matches in Feb

Advertisement