Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What booze are you drinking this Christmas?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

What are you drinking this Christmas?

We're stocked up with five cases of Miller (bottles), a warehouse of wine (a New Zealand Pinot Noir for Christmas dinner) and an array of spirits for the granny (she drinks more than anyone else).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Despite the fact I can't stomach your beer choice, why oh why would you limit yourself to one brand of beer and one brand of wine? Whatever happened to variety being the spice of life?

To answer your question : as many different beers I've never had before as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

kenmc wrote: »
    Despite the fact I can't stomach your beer choice, why oh why would you limit yourself to one brand of beer and one brand of wine? Whatever happened to variety being the spice of life?

To answer your question : as many different beers I've never had before as possible.

It's cool. The beer is for the kids. Like I said, we have a warehouse full of wine (over 300 different varieties). The Pinot is just for main course on Christmas Day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

How anyone can drink the same beer all christmas long, never mind all night long is beyond me!!!
    It's all about variety!!:)

Got a selection of Bavarian beers from biershop bayern(Mainly schwarzbiers, dunkels and few smoke beers).
    4 x 5 Litre kegs of beer too (2 x Kostritzer, 1 x bitburger and 1 x warsteiner)
    Have a hand full of Chimay bottles and I'll prob get a few o'haras stouts aswell and anything else I can find that looks interesting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Mainly Rekorderlig, Franziskaner & Vodka.

Dinner wine will probably be Cloudy Bay Sav Blanc & Marquis de Riscal Rioja.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I shall be spending Christmas 3 miles from a Sainsbury's so my power-euros will be going on Clotworthy Dobbin, and I'm also hoping for some Meantime Winter Time and Wychwood Plumduff: the highlights of last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A couple of nice wines for dinner, a good session ale for during the day, and a couple of different beers for later on - something bitter perhaps to enjoy with the endless cheese snacks; or a hearty stout.

Of course I haven't bought any of these yet, so it might end up being whatever's in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

was a little disappointed with the meantime winter time, didn't really taste the spices allegedly contained within. i didn't notice any plumduff when i was in the sainsbury outside lisburn last thursday, bit disappointed with the lack of 'seasonal' ales there. got some clotworthy dobbin, some st austell tribute, timothy taylor landlord, badger's pickled partridge (which has been the best of those tasted so far) and a few fuller's esb they didn't have any fuller's london porter which i was really hoping to get. yep a fair bit of variety is the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MattKane wrote: »
    It's cool. The beer is for the kids.
    Still would get some more in, most people I know do not like miller, and most of them are fans of the big company beers. Heineken seems the most widely tolerated beer, then perhaps carlsberg. You might get more people who usually drink bud than carlsberg, but the bud fans would accept carlsberg more than the other way around.

My father always has bud :( and I think he reckons my brother and I do not actually like beer, since we never accept it when offered (not that bud is beer ;))

At least get some guinness in, a must at christmas, or some other stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

coors light
    heineken
    guinness
    bailey's
    blossom hill white
    champagne
    bucks fizz
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Probably a bit of fizz around 12pm (you can start drinking in the afternoon, right? :D)
    Vodka Martini as an apperitif
    Thinking of getting some Riesling for dinner
    There is bound to be some red wine too, but don't know which one yet
    Love a glass of port late in the night

There will also be a couple of beers for my brother and prosecco for my sister and brandy for my mom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

pa990 wrote: »
    i can't understand why people feel the need to 'stock up' on booze for christmas.

The shops are only closed for 1 day.

(is this thread condoneing the abuse/excesses of alcohol ?)

Well, we don't "stock up". The spirits are always in my parent's drinks cupboard but don't get taken out that often. I'll bring a bottle or two of wine home and there will be another half dozen bottles in the house. No-one really wants to go out on Christmas Eve and it's nice to have a choice.

It's just a really nice time of year to be merry :p not so much drink to excess!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

We stocked up with 5 slabs of carlsberg. Got them for €1 a can in carryout last week. Also goin to get some good scotch to keep the family tradition going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Baybay

Malari wrote: »
    Probably a bit of fizz around 12pm (you can start drinking in the afternoon, right? :D)

Bucks Fizz for brunch with smoked salmon & scrambled eggs:).

Red wine with dinner & champagne at all other times!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jameson
    12 Yr old Jameson
    Tullamore Dew

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

efb wrote: »
    Jameson
    12 Yr old Jameson
    Tullamore Dew

I like your style!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

A large variety of whiskeys, nice brandies (xo vsop anything good + different brands, remy & courvoisier, etc), cider (yes I am a knacker), champaigne, cocktails, & anything else that might strike my fancy over the next few weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Moderator Note

If anyone continues to derail ths thread, I will hand out warnings, infractions and bans.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm getting in some Bass (euro a can, also nice at 3.8%, I hate getting too drunk on Xmas Day), some bottles of London Pride and some pint bottles of Guinness. No lager for me.

I got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Year Old for my birthday in November, and I have another bottle of that which is nearly empty since August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have 4 bottles of rum[i am an old sea dog] 3 large bottles of port and 2 cases of guiness-and i intend to wake up in the new year

Jameson
    Jameson 18 year old
    Midleton rare 2007
    Glenfiddich 12 year old
    3 Cases of hoegaarden
    1 case of erdinger
    1 case of franziskaner
    2 cases of 1795 Budejovice pivo
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Jameson
    Jameson 18 year old
    Midleton rare 2007
    Glenfiddich 12 year old
    3 Cases of hoegaarden
    1 case of erdinger
    1 case of franziskaner
    2 cases of 1795 Budejovice pivo
    :D

Great selection

(except for the erdinger)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'll be sticking to a couple of czech beauts for the xmas period, Staropramen & Urquell. I'll break those up with some Jameson and knock back a few glasses of Villa Maria sauvignon blanc with the xmas dinner.

pa990 wrote: »
    Great selection

(except for the erdinger)

There's nowt wrong with erdinger. Not the best wheat beer I know, but it aint bad :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

For Xmas dinner:

Astrolabe Pinto Gris/Cloudy Bay Sauvignon - Haven't decided which yet.
    Rizzardi Amarone - Gorgeous

Beer wise will be the usual
    Carlton Cold/Steinlager if I'm feeling classy
    Foster's for the cheap piss-up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Everything I drink this year, in my place, will be home made. They are:

30 bottles Merlot, bottled about 8 months ago, coming along nice
    60 bottles Pinot Grigio: 2 month old, also nice.
    75 Bottles: HobGob Clone (missed Halloween!)
    40 Bottles: A nice Honey Ale clone
    About 70 Bottles mixed of various "home brew" experiments that mostly worked out fine, including a HOP Head (attempted) clone.

I don't intend to drink all of them but I am insisting that she doesn't buy any typical lager muck. If anyone turns their nose up at it, then more for me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

This christmas i will be mostly drinking Marco real crianza, Carl ehrhard dry riesling, then i have a couple of bottles of les terrases and and a babbaresco.
    So happy days
    And i still have some Martin codax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

azzeretti wrote: »
    Everything I drink this year, in my place, will be home made. They are:

30 bottles Merlot, bottled about 8 months ago, coming along nice
    60 bottles Pinot Grigio: 2 month old, also nice.
    75 Bottles: HobGob Clone (missed Halloween!)
    40 Bottles: A nice Honey Ale clone
    About 70 Bottles mixed of various "home brew" experiments that mostly worked out fine, including a HOP Head (attempted) clone.

I don't intend to drink all of them but I am insisting that she doesn't buy any typical lager muck. If anyone turns their nose up at it, then more for me!:D
    Good for you, that's the attitude. If they don't want to drink beer, there's always water :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm waiting to see what Santa brings. If he doesn't come then who knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 robertfrancis

If you are looking for the perfect glass of wine for with Scrambeled eggs on xmas morning - the Oddero Moscato di asti from sheridans is brilliant !

It has only 5% alcohol and retails for about 16 a bottle ! Winner !

• Advertisement
Advertisement