Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National recovery plan for Ireland in January

• 15-12-2008 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

The Indo is reporting some details today on the upcoming national recovery plan.

These to include "severe cutbacks across the public service". The plan will pave the way for a substantial reduction in the number of public sector workers. Wage rises due to be paid to public sector workers are also in the firing line and are highly unlikely to be paid.

However there will be new spending,

"Mr Cowen's plans will also include tax incentives for foreign companies to set up research and development units. The National Development Plan will be tweaked to prioritise school building, housing insulation and energy infrastructure.

The labour intensive nature of these projects will be allied to a new apprenticeship scheme for unemployed workers."

Cutting some of the bloat in the public sector has to be a good thing, swapping that cost for hopefully more productive investment in people & infrastructure, hopefully a better thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Sounds like some good ideas. I doubt any of that will actually happen though. FF don't have the balls for a "Thatcher V Scargill" type situation which would undoubtly happen if serious cuts were made in the public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

and the NBS will be awarded to a Mobile BB provider so that we can't get the information out of these Research labs, great planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Sounds good to me. Whether it will be implemented, according to what is written, is questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Sure it's almost Christmas Daveirl, who knows what Santa might do for the banks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cue unions kicking up a fuss and bringing the country to a halt until they get their money.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Hopefully this is where the Garda Reserve will come in handy and maybe hire a few ex-cons too for good measure. The Unions have caused this crisis as much as the Government with their never ending demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Hopefully this is where the Garda Reserve will come in handy and maybe hire a few ex-cons too for good measure. The Unions have caused this crisis as much as the Government with their never ending demands.
    The situation is fairly serious alright. I can see union leaders being imprisoned and more rigorous controls on public gatherings, if the government has the stomach for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

The situation is fairly serious alright. I can see union leaders being imprisoned and more rigorous controls on public gatherings, if the government has the stomach for it.

Steady on folks, I don't think we are quite at the point of Ireland declaring martial law just yet. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

BenjAii wrote: »
    Steady on folks, I don't think we are quite at the point of Ireland declaring martial law just yet. :rolleyes:
    I agree.

Not quite yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Here's the bright idea in full. Our fearless leader has proclaimed the next steps: Building Ireland's Smart Economy.

Edit: The link above is to the PDF, or word document, from the Dept. of the Taoiseach. It's over 100 pages. Let the cynicism begin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

a pay cut of 10% across the public sector. the goverment at the moment are making 25600 euros a year that includes expenses etc a massive pay cut is required there in this new reality the country finds itself in. The faster this goverment acts the better for the country in the long run so scrap the national pay agreement and cowen should address the country telling us the truth about the decesions that have to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cendant

Is it true that the State spends 91000 euros on every prisoner?

Seems like a big waste.

Advertisement