Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

February Start Date

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

Hey Guys and Girls.....

First chance to get on here!!! Guess i'll be seeing you all on 19th jan got the call yesterday!!!

Still can't beleive it tho.... i'm sure like the rest of you it doesn't seem real yet!!!!

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Chelsea555

Griffer2 wrote: »
    Hey Guys and Girls.....

First chance to get on here!!! Guess i'll be seeing you all on 19th jan got the call yesterday!!!

Still can't beleive it tho.... i'm sure like the rest of you it doesn't seem real yet!!!!

G
    CONGRATS GRIFFER!!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Congratulations Griff. You deserve it pal.

At least the PCA at Garnerville shouldn't hold any fears for you. :D

carlty888 wrote: »
    Congratulations Griff. You deserve it pal.

At least the PCA at Garnerville shouldn't hold any fears for you. :D

LOL i know, piece of cake once you have done it already........ or not at least i know what to expect from it though thats the main thing.

I got all excited when i saw a police car earlier...... i'm such a geek lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Griffer2 wrote: »
    ...... i'm such a geek lol

NOOOOO!!!

See you Sat nite matey!!! WOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!!:D

Anybody know what colour squad we are gonna be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 NewBoy19

You will be the new GREEN squad!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭bobbin88

The new YELLOW squad are gonna be the best!
    Newboy, you pointed me in the direction of the canteen, but then the girl came along and took me down:D

Nice one, you should have dropped a 'boards' hint :) and no the new yellows can never live up to red standards!!

I hope the nightmare first day didnt scare many of your squad off??

• Advertisement

NewBoy19 wrote: »
    Nice one, you should have dropped a 'boards' hint :) and no the new yellows can never live up to red standards!!

I hope the nightmare first day didnt scare many of your squad off??

COME ON YOU GREEEEEEEENNNNNSSSSS :D

I was gonna actually cough and go boardie...ahem...boardie.:D
    Subtelty obviously being one of my strong points...
    Not sure if anyone will choose not to come back, it actually made me less nervous about starting..phew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

wooo GREENS!!!!

we need a secret james bond code phrase to identify each other!

question: the fox runs long in the night

response: but only when chased by the hound!

:P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

pb999 wrote: »
    wooo GREENS!!!!

You've watched way too many 1950's spy movies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

Hello all you lucky lucky people

Could you tell me what merit score you all have.

I really think I should be with you but my vetting is still ongoing, what a cruel twist of fate.

I keep telling myself I will be laughing about this next year but it really does not help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Hi all first of all CONGRATS!!

Secondly, yeah can you tell us your merit numbers etc. I think I ought to be in with you lot too but nothing as yet :(

Maybe a loada people deferred and have filled up the Feb intake?

I hate not knowing what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

pb999 wrote: »
    wooo GREENS!!!!

And if you are talking to a non-boardie, they think you are nuts! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 McNab

bobbin88 wrote: »
    But we didn't get to bask in the glory of our calls for long enough!:D

Oooo £55 on a new iron...your a real man now!
    I must actually buy an iron/steal one from home. Still have my shopping list to do, and it's nearly Crimbo too! I'll have to curb my very festive eating habits this year! I haven't had a drink since summer (no idea why though) so there will be no alcoholic beverages being purchased by me in the bar on thursdays, or i'll be out on my ear!

i must admit i like a drink but cant see me doing it during the week no chance, cant see what the point would be in having a drink or two when we could be doing so much more i.e. studying and training. god is this really me i sound so borinig:D Though i defo think some Friday night we should try and get a group togther for a night out in Belfast or something, just as a group bonding session. my iron seems pretty cool can even produce all this steam so you can iron stuff on a vertical axis no ironing board needed for me:P. My printer on my flintstone computer was playing funny buggers last night so i had to print off the CD content in work today. wow is all i can say looks like christmas is cancelled this year for me. My staff do is this friday plan is to drink myself stupid and then knuckle down for some studdying till the 28th . Hows your shopping list comming along?

Should us February-ers maybe meet up before the big day for a coffee or something? I know I'd like to see a familiar face or two on the scary first day!!

McNab wrote: »
    i must admit i like a drink but cant see me doing it during the week no chance, cant see what the point would be in having a drink or two when we could be doing so much more i.e. studying and training. god is this really me i sound so borinig:D Though i defo think some Friday night we should try and get a group togther for a night out in Belfast or something, just as a group bonding session. my iron seems pretty cool can even produce all this steam so you can iron stuff on a vertical axis no ironing board needed for me:P. My printer on my flintstone computer was playing funny buggers last night so i had to print off the CD content in work today. wow is all i can say looks like christmas is cancelled this year for me. My staff do is this friday plan is to drink myself stupid and then knuckle down for some studdying till the 28th . Hows your shopping list comming along?

Ironing on a vertical axis..well get you!
    Yeah, we should defo get a friday night out to belfast organised sometime in the next few weeks.. group bonding my a$$, any excuse for a pi$$ up!
    I can well and truly shame myself then :D
    Shopping list is complete and off on Friday to get everything!
    Yeah, Christmas just won't be the same this year! At least next year we'll have shift work or something to look forward to:p
    Read through the workbook last night and did a bit, doesn't look too bad.
    Do you think we need to do the autobiography part again, or will they just stick in the bit we did on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 McNab

Ironing on a vertical axis..well get you!
    Yeah, we should defo get a friday night out to belfast organised sometime in the next few weeks.. group bonding my a$$, any excuse for a pi$$ up!
    I can well and truly shame myself then :D
    Shopping list is complete and off on Friday to get everything!
    Yeah, Christmas just won't be the same this year! At least next year we'll have shift work or something to look forward to:p
    Read through the workbook last night and did a bit, doesn't look too bad.
    Do you think we need to do the autobiography part again, or will they just stick in the bit we did on Monday?

no need for the autobiography i remeber one of the staff saying we didnt need to do that bit as we did it on monday though i would love another chance to get a go at it you should of seen my hand writing really really shocking:eek:. i think i will be getting a word about my grammer and writing when i start to be honest. your so right about next year i think the next few chrimbo's will consist of work for us! well if its good enough for Santa its good enough for me. A good group pi$$ up in town i think would be a great ice breaker and a good chance to let all our hairs down (ok i know i'm might stuggle letting my hair down:D) going to look through the work book tonight didnt really get a chance today what with all the nosey parkers around my desk its a challenge in itself trying to post on this bad boy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

god aye, the autobiography.
    That was a bit out of the blue?!

I think they must just want it for weeding out nutcases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Hello all you lucky lucky people

Could you tell me what merit score you all have.

I really think I should be with you but my vetting is still ongoing, what a cruel twist of fate.

I keep telling myself I will be laughing about this next year but it really does not help.

Sorry for being perhaps a bit too hasty here but your big angry post about ongoing vetting is a touch silly.
    Your applying to join an armed police force, you will have the power of arrest, use of minimum force and in cases use of deadly force if necessary! How you can describe 'ongoing vetting' as a 'cruel twist of fate' is beyond me. Your vetting can take up to 12months - get over it.

"use of minimum force"?? It's much too fun to be called minimal, try....proportionate and justified!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Do we assume that's all the calls over for Feb now? Or do they phone all week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭shelleyelley

i would have thought the calls would have went out all week??? i couldnt see them making all of the calls within a few days?

thats only a guess

i would say they are done, there were a large number who deffered from the 28th dec intake onto the 1st feb as they did not have enough notice. theres only 40 odd in each intake

I got all my info this morning. I didn't realise that the course is equivalent to the first year of a degree! I graduated in September and thought my Uni of Ulster days were behind me..... lol

PandaPants wrote: »
    I got all my info this morning. I didn't realise that the course is equivalent to the first year of a degree! I graduated in September and thought my Uni of Ulster days were behind me..... lol

Well imagine my surprise at SRD last Monday, when we had a two hour lecture on harvard referencing..:mad:

Well imagine my surprise at SRD last Monday, when we had a two hour lecture on harvard referencing..:mad:

Harvard referencing? Are you kidding me?? I thought my referencing days were LONG gone.....:(:(

Harvard referencing? Are you kidding me?? I thought my referencing days were LONG gone.....:(:(

As did I! But no, harvard referencing is back with a vengeance!

• Advertisement

As did I! But no, harvard referencing is back with a vengeance!

I don't know why I'm so bothered. It's actually one less thing to learn. D'oh!!!

yeah got my pack yesterday, i graduated from queens in 2007, i'll be getting all the UU jokes from my mates who are queens graduates now!

why do they not celebrate christmas at UU?

because they can't find 3 wise men AND a virgin!

boom boom

god i was always terrible at referencing too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Oursole

Is everyone bringing guests?

You are only with your guests for about 20minutes anyways, and then the guests go off for a tour and those starting in G'ville get split into classes etc.
    So no big deal if you don't bring guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

if you bring guests, dont bring partners! they only get jealous of all the good looking ones and think you are knocking them off when you are staying in the hotel:D

I'm starting to fill in all my forms and they want my medical card number. I don't seem to have mine, can I just get a new one from my doctor??

I'm starting to fill in all my forms and they want my medical card number. I don't seem to have mine, can I just get a new one from my doctor??

Yea id like to know the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

Call your Doctors, they'll give you the number no problem

My doctors gave me the number of CSA to order a new one, it's 903 244 31 if anyone's interested.

They said they can't give out the number due to data protection, which confused me a bit. The card should take a few days to come. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭lolli-j

My doctors gave me the number of CSA to order a new one, it's 903 244 31 if anyone's interested.

They said they can't give out the number due to data protection, which confused me a bit. The card should take a few days to come. :D

I should have said 'call into doctors' gave me mine about three weeks ago for current employer

lolli-j wrote: »
    I should have said 'call into doctors' gave me mine about three weeks ago for current employer

I just phoned up and got it no bother

Guys, do we need to be suited and booted for both the registration day and 1st Feb, our first day??

Also, am I right in thinking we are in uniform all day and need our own clothes for evening times? The main staple of my wardrobe is rugby shirts (Ulster, Ireland, British and Irish Lions, various other clubs), can I wear these?? Or is it better just to get some plain t-shirts? I don't want to offend anyone, or get into trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MM*

Guys, do we need to be suited and booted for both the registration day and 1st Feb, our first day??

Also, am I right in thinking we are in uniform all day and need our own clothes for evening times? The main staple of my wardrobe is rugby shirts (Ulster, Ireland, British and Irish Lions, various other clubs), can I wear these?? Or is it better just to get some plain t-shirts? I don't want to offend anyone, or get into trouble.

Yes, wearing a suit on both days in question is pretty much a necessity. Gives off a good first impression.

For your first four weeks in, you'll need your own clothes after the day is over. You'll want to be keeping these as neutral and non-offensive as possible. Any kind of Football shirt/Rugby shirt is generally frowned upon, you'd be best leaving these at home! Same goes for t-shirts with risque slogans, etc etc.

Hope that helps.

MM* wrote: »
    Yes, wearing a suit on both days in question is pretty much a necessity. Gives off a good first impression.

For your first four weeks in, you'll need your own clothes after the day is over. You'll want to be keeping these as neutral and non-offensive as possible. Any kind of Football shirt/Rugby shirt is generally frowned upon, you'd be best leaving these at home! Same goes for t-shirts with risque slogans, etc etc.

Hope that helps.

Cheers dude. Just what I thought.

Well?? Anyone else joining us?? Or is it too late for phone calls now? Some people for 28th December intake only seem to have got a couple of weeks notice, so don't give up hope.

• Advertisement

na i reckon our intake is full, its usually 6 weeks notice, think dec 28th intake was exception to the rule as they were maybe unsure whether the intakes would be going ahead due to the budget hoopla.

only 31 days to go! :D

COME ON THE GREENS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 namnit

Just a quick question folks, i know this is probably the wrong thread but here goes. Who do you contact if any of your details have changed since you first applied?

Congrats to all those who got in for Feb, Well done boys and girls

have you been offered a place in training?

I would contact recruitment just I think they are your best bet

namnit wrote: »
    Just a quick question folks, i know this is probably the wrong thread but here goes. Who do you contact if any of your details have changed since you first applied?

Congrats to all those who got in for Feb, Well done boys and girls

It tells you in the training pack to contact recruitment if anything has changed. That's also the first thing they ask you, before offering you the job when you get "the call".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mayor west

ohhh no only 2 weeks untill our big induction day

i see lots of people have bought irons is there any thing else i should buy before we start

go greens whoooo

oh sorry got over excited there lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement