Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

February Start Date

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

i'm not entirely convinced that it was purely to do with bluetooth, i think they know more than they let on and using the bluetooth excuse, you've now identified yourself!!

the UU lecture was quite long winded, however remember that different people learn and pick up things at different paces, some people have never been to uni or havent studied in many years and that element will be completely alien to them. You have to give everyone an equal chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭PandaPants

yeah defo they could cut that day in half easily!

I thought it was grand, apart from the UU lecture. To be fair, it probably helped people who have been out of education for a while.

pb999 wrote: »
    i'm not entirely convinced that it was purely to do with bluetooth, i think they know more than they let on and using the bluetooth excuse, you've now identified yourself!!

quote]

I think this whole paranoia about identifying yourself is going a bit OTT. I have't done anything wrong, nor do I plan to so it doesn't matter to me if anyone knows who I am. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Oursole

Has anyone found any good pairs of socks yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Oursole wrote: »
    Because she uses panda pants for her bluetooth name and the security guy came in and check to see whos bluetooth was on to explain the dangers.

Real smooth PandaPants, hahaha.

MrFug wrote: »
    Real smooth PandaPants, hahaha.

I thought it was more security-concious than using my real name... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭PC Inwaiting

God my bluetooth name is very embarrasing, it relates to my love for a certain 90's boyband. Def turning my phone off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭DownMTBer

Lol couldn't be as bad as mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Big Mac Addict

DownMTBer wrote: »

You can't say that and then not tell us what it is.........!

• Advertisement

Noooo! You will never find out...

Can't remember who changed it to be honest and never bothered my ass changing it back :D

You HAVE to tell. You have a moral duty now! :D It can't be as bad as PandaPants surely??

How are you guys coming along with the defs? My flight is delayed, so I've been studying since 11am, got the caution, Courtesy and half of the Human Rights Act more or less learned. Looking forward to PACE. Not. :(

I've deprived myself of free drink until I've studied, so as soon as I get on this flight I'm hitting the champagne, lying back and watching movies. :D

I actually don't think its as ad as Panda Pants tbh :D Some funny person changed it to Roger Rabbit... bit of an anti climax hey?

Always gets a laugh when people want to bluetooth me stuff tho. And yes... it will be switched off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I actually don't think its as ad as Panda Pants tbh :D Some funny person changed it to Roger Rabbit... bit of an anti climax hey?

Always gets a laugh when people want to bluetooth me stuff tho. And yes... it will be switched off!

His wife was hot!!! ;)

Does anyone know if we have to memorise the paragraph on courtesy on page 1?

carlty888 wrote: »
    His wife was hot!!! ;)

Definately :D she was voted the all time top number 1 cartoon its OK for guys to fancy I think :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

You certainly do.
    You will see how important defs are throughout your time in the hotel.

Best of luck guys for feb start. We saw a few of you guys when we where on our tea break from doin firearms trainin. You all scrub up well lol.

wanalaugh

Wanalaugh wrote: »
    You certainly do.
    You will see how important defs are throughout your time in the hotel.

Best of luck guys for feb start. We saw a few of you guys when we where on our tea break from doin firearms trainin. You all scrub up well lol.

wanalaugh

Any tips on memorising it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Griffer2

PandaPants all i can say is i've never seen the colour drain out of someones face as quickly as yours lol.

Great day! dunno about the rest of you guys and girls but i'm wrecked!!

just looking at our work book do we have to do the biography again we did yesterday afternoon?

Griffer2 wrote: »
    PandaPants all i can say is i've never seen the colour drain out of someones face as quickly as yours lol.

Great day! dunno about the rest of you guys and girls but i'm wrecked!!

just looking at our work book do we have to do the biography again we did yesterday afternoon?

Nah they said we didnt have to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

my aunites mates niece or niece's daughter had her SRD last night, well yesterday and she said that 3-4 people were late and got told to pretty much fack aff. how raging would you be to come so far just to be late. if it was me starting at 9 id be there at like 8. time for toilet and stuff id be triping my self

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭kelso69

smyff wrote: »
    my aunites mates niece or niece's daughter had her SRD last night, well yesterday and she said that 3-4 people were late and got told to pretty much fack aff. how raging would you be to come so far just to be late. if it was me starting at 9 id be there at like 8. time for toilet and stuff id be triping my self

That would be pretty heart breaking!

i wouldnt be surprised if they were turned away yesterday for being late considering the SRD was monday! :p

there were a couple of no shows on the day, bit of a waste if they were turned away for tardiness, but the pack explicitly says 9am and good time keeping was reinforced to us on monday

Aww i'd be gutted big time but even still if you were told to be there by 9 you should be there about half 8 or so

I thought i was mega late strollin in at 8.45 too

GREENS SUUUUCCCCK!!!

*throws BLUE paintbomb into the thread*

*sneaks in and dies all their hair blue while they sleep*

I'm finding the studying much easier than I thought. I've been writing everything out repeatedly until I can write it from memory. I've only PACE to go now. I more or less know everything else, but I'm finding it difficult to say things out loud, yet I can write them down with no hesitation. Anyone finding the same? Or am I weird??

I've spent all my travelling time studying and a couple of hours when I was wide awake at 3am, thanks to the time difference! :rolleyes:

I've been up for over 24 hours now, so I'm going to bed. Hope everyone's studying is going well. :D

lol well you knew what i meant i thought it was tuesday

PandaPants wrote: »
    I'm finding the studying much easier than I thought. I've been writing everything out repeatedly until I can write it from memory. I've only PACE to go now. I more or less know everything else, but I'm finding it difficult to say things out loud, yet I can write them down with no hesitation. Anyone finding the same? Or am I weird??

I've spent all my travelling time studying and a couple of hours when I was wide awake at 3am, thanks to the time difference! :rolleyes:

I've been up for over 24 hours now, so I'm going to bed. Hope everyone's studying is going well. :D

Sounds like a good idea. Ive been able to say it out load. Finish PCR, gonna start CJS later. Hows the workbook going?

Sounds like a good idea. Ive been able to say it out load. Finish PCR, gonna start CJS later. Hows the workbook going?

I can't start the workbook until I get home. The disc is not Mac compatible, so I have to try and get a Windows PC to look at it. I'm not home until Wednesday, so I'm going to have to blast through it before Sunday. So I'm making sure I know all my defs before I get home.

I thought about bringing the disk with me and printing it out over here, but I was too scared of losing it and getting in trouble! :(

I can't start the workbook until I get home. The disc is not Mac compatible, so I have to try and get a Windows PC to look at it. I'm not home until Wednesday, so I'm going to have to blast through it before Sunday. So I'm making sure I know all my defs before I get home.

I thought about bringing the disk with me and printing it out over here, but I was too scared of losing it and getting in trouble! :(

I was under the impression that Mac's are compatible with all PC disc images. It's not the other way around though, PC's don't read MAC formatted discs. What's it saying when you try to run the disc?

• Advertisement

I dont know if youve had a look at it but the workbook is fine. So dont be worrying about it. These defs are doing my nut in.

I was under the impression that Mac's are compatible with all PC disc images. It's not the other way around though, PC's don't read MAC formatted discs. What's it saying when you try to run the disc?

I didn't even try it because I had asked during the SRD and was told that it wasn't Mac compatible, he said it was because they don't use Macs in G-town.

it says buy a PC

yeah, theres not much to the workbook, you could do it in a couple of hours.

defs are doing my nut in as well, i keep stumbling and messing up a word here and there for the first one! but the others are easier, i'm trying to avoid the big long one on page 4! maybe if i dont look at it it'll go away! :D

how many are you folk learning??? i'm aiming to get all those needed for week 5 learnt word perfect. is anyone being a total swot and learning the whole book? (i'm looking at you panda!) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 coppertopper

defs are doing my nut in as well, i keep stumbling and messing up a word here and there for the first one! but the others are easier, i'm trying to avoid the big long one on page 4! maybe if i dont look at it it'll go away! :D

how many are you folk learning??? i'm aiming to get all those needed for week 5 learnt word perfect. is anyone being a total swot and learning the whole book? (i'm looking at you panda!) :p

Got that long 1 left 2 do, was putting it off myself, i am gona concentrate on the ones for week 5, and then see what detail they are gona test them in! If it is only fill in the blanks like said it might not be that hard!:confused::confused:

I'm only doing what I need to for the moment. If I get any spare time I might work ahead, but I'm struggling with PACE at the moment. I'm just getting silly words mixed up. It's doing my head in!!!!!!!!!!

Got that long 1 left 2 do, was putting it off myself, i am gona concentrate on the ones for week 5, and then see what detail they are gona test them in! If it is only fill in the blanks like said it might not be that hard!:confused::confused:

from what i've heard of the test, its all blank apart from the odd comma or "the" etc here and there. It says to learn them verbatim, which to me means learn them off by heart and where the commas etc in them are.....so thats what i'm doing. just writing them out over and over, also recorded them so i can listen to myself saying them. i've got 6 of them perfect, two more shortish ones to get and then the big PACE one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JuiletBravo

Aww i'd be gutted big time but even still if you were told to be there by 9 you should be there about half 8 or so

I thought i was mega late strollin in at 8.45 too

hay griffer

on a total unrelated note ..i here through the grape vine you did the PCA..just wondering how long after the PCA did you get your result got ming coming up and was wondering time scales and if you had any tips

Juilet bravo

from what i've heard of the test, its all blank apart from the odd comma or "the" etc here and there. It says to learn them verbatim, which to me means learn them off by heart and where the commas etc in them are.....so thats what i'm doing. just writing them out over and over, also recorded them so i can listen to myself saying them. i've got 6 of them perfect, two more shortish ones to get and then the big PACE one

i'd love a tape of that :P

• Advertisement

hay griffer

on a total unrelated note ..i here through the grape vine you did the PCA..just wondering how long after the PCA did you get your result got ming coming up and was wondering time scales and if you had any tips

Juilet bravo

Hey JB

i got my results about a week and a half after i did it......the wait was a killer!!

i'd love a tape of that :P

i already got you an ironing cloth! its all take take take with you! :P

i'll swap you for the jazzy jeff CD you want

I was looking through afew videos on youtube and came across a video for boot polishing (i know im getting obsessed) but it showed using a lighter to burn the polish in to increase the shine. Does anyone know if 1 this is a good method and 2 if you can use lighters in your dorm in Garnerville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 coppertopper

I was looking through afew videos on youtube and came across a video for boot polishing (i know im getting obsessed) but it showed using a lighter to burn the polish in to increase the shine. Does anyone know if 1 this is a good method and 2 if you can use lighters in your dorm in Garnerville?

Its a relly good way of doing it if done right, You have to layer the polish up quite thick and make sure that it is really smooth, then you burn it with a lighter just enough to make it moist with parafin, then start bulling! It takes a bit of time to get the shine up but its a far quicker way of layering with polish!!! Very much doubt you will be allowed to do this indoors, and polish is quite flammable, What they dont know cant hurt!!!!

How are you guys coming along with PACE? Please tell me I'm not the only thicko totally not getting it?? I've just spent 4 hours writing it out repeatedly and I'm still none the wiser.... :(:(

I have it in my head that we are getting a test on defs on Sunday, did anyone else hear that or did I just make it up in my head?? (As I have been known to do!)

• Advertisement

Its a relly good way of doing it if done right, You have to layer the polish up quite thick and make sure that it is really smooth, then you burn it with a lighter just enough to make it moist with parafin, then start bulling! It takes a bit of time to get the shine up but its a far quicker way of layering with polish!!! Very much doubt you will be allowed to do this indoors, and polish is quite flammable, What they dont know cant hurt!!!!

There is a school of thought that says its impossible to get the same shine doing it like this... but tbh we used to use this method at school and I can't say in 6 years of bulling my boots to glass that I noticed any difference. And believe be I have done everything from spit and polish layer by layer from scratch through to using klear floor polish! (Which I REALLY REALLY do not recommend, whilst it works a treat at first, even the meerest spot of water turns it green and it goes frothy and you get in a LOT of trouble :eek:)

Basically the idea of bulling is building up layers of polish and whilst you could just slap it on in great wads, melting the polish helps to build up thicker layers faster with better smoothness, but be careful, I will say that putting too much polish on at once and not using water will result in it cracking and this you really don't want, it's happened to me and it's not nice.

Really though guys don't get worked up about this... You do it while you watch a film, or chat to your mates or do some course reading, its actually quite relaxing and nothing like as hard as you are all imagining. Sure if I was doing it at 12 years old I'm sure you'll all have no bother with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MORRI

I think if you put the polish on in big lumps, as MTBer said, it will crack especially as you'll be doing a bit of marching and stamping your feet. It may be a bit embarassing if it all falls off in a big lump:D

How are you guys coming along with PACE? Please tell me I'm not the only thicko totally not getting it?? I've just spent 4 hours writing it out repeatedly and I'm still none the wiser.... :(:(

I have it in my head that we are getting a test on defs on Sunday, did anyone else hear that or did I just make it up in my head?? (As I have been known to do!)

they did say that you may be asked defs on sunday, but you'll not be marked on it (though, if you don't know any then you might be remembered as the lazy person who didnt take the initiative and learn some pre-entry!)

i wouldnt worry too much, i know most of the ones needed for week 5, not done much of the big long PACE one, i know they gist of it and what it means, but don't know it word for word.....yet!

but i've done the workbook, and learned most of the week 5 defs and been in the gym and out running, so i'm reasonably happy with my preparations (but ask me again at the end of week 1 and i may have a different answer!)

COME ON THE GREENS!!!

they did say that you may be asked defs on sunday, but you'll not be marked on it (though, if you don't know any then you might be remembered as the lazy person who didnt take the initiative and learn some pre-entry!)

i wouldnt worry too much, i know most of the ones needed for week 5, not done much of the big long PACE one, i know they gist of it and what it means, but don't know it word for word.....yet!

but i've done the workbook, and learned most of the week 5 defs and been in the gym and out running, so i'm reasonably happy with my preparations (but ask me again at the end of week 1 and i may have a different answer!)

COME ON THE GREENS!!!

Swot! I've been on holiday stuffing my face and drinking too much. :D Have been studying my bum off though. I spent ALL fecking day on the long PACE and I still haven't a clue. Some of the descriptive words seem inconsistent, so in one sentance it's "to suspect of being guilty of it" and another is "suspecting to be guilty of it". I keep getting them all confused and it's very very frustrating.

COME ON THE GREENS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭squirrel81

Hope you enjoyed your final fling for a while pandapants! Those defs will all come together, guaranteed. :) vegas baby!

• Advertisement
Advertisement