Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Rip Off Sale - 30% off 120%

Options
  • 15-12-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Was viewing (on bargain allerts) with interest several post on the Tesco 30% voucherback sale on electrical items.

But it seems Tesco have increased the prices on several elecrical items before the sale. There are several reports of items that were cheaper when they had the 20% sale.

Surely they cannot just make up a number and then say they will give 30% back off it. Surely there has to be some substance in the 'marked' pre-sale price (either for sale at that price at some time or RRP).

Boo

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't understand your post

Are you saying that Tesco have put up their prices but that they should'nt be allowed to ??

They can charge anything they like. Look at the the other Tesco price rises threads in consumer issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

boopolo wrote: »
    Was viewing (on bargain allerts) with interest several post on the Tesco 30% voucherback sale on electrical items.

But it seems Tesco have increased the prices on several elecrical items before the sale. There are several reports of items that were cheaper when they had the 20% sale.

Surely they cannot just make up a number and then say they will give 30% back off it. Surely there has to be some substance in the 'marked' pre-sale price (either for sale at that price at some time or RRP).

Boo

I guess one of the best things about Tesco vouchers is exchanging the vouchers for other vouchers. So if you spend 100 and get 30 back in vouchers you could exchange that 30 for 120 in TGI Friday vouchers.

But back on topic, I'd be suprised if prices weren't raised. A couple people have mentioned to me recently seeing prices on particular items going up 20-25% around November - maybe that's why then can offer the big discounts after Christmas.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Boo

Simple.

It's not a Sale.

It's a straightforward "we'll give you back X% of the price" promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

snubbleste wrote: »

Are you saying that Tesco have put up their prices but that they should'nt be allowed to ??

A little help:

October: item costs €10
    November: price rise of 120%, now item costs €12
    December: we give you 30% off because we are a good company and love our customers, item now at €8
    compared to October's price only 20% off

OP and many, many other people are assuming TESCO is raising prices prior giving rebates to make it look like giving huge discounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

Boo

yes they can,they own the shop, they can ask €1000000000000000000000000000000000000 for a tomato if they want:rolleyes:

this tactic is great, people would buy pure ****e if its marked 30% or 50% off, it been going on for years, difference is, everybody who still have jobs think were in a recession because ann doyle said so, thus are actually coping on to this gag.

Irish are idiots end of youve been exploited by english stores for a decade, funny thing was we all thought we were great getting somthing half price, pity was it didnt matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

snubbleste wrote: »

They can charge anything they like. Look at the the other Tesco price rises threads in consumer issues.
    Yes they can charge what they like, thats not my point.

Example item in store for months at €100 regular price.
    They have a sale november -20% = €80
    After sale price reverts to €100
    New sale this week -30% (voucher 30%) but for the prpose of the sale item is €120. Item never was sold at €120, it's just increased €120 for the sale.

It is misleading, but I am sure it is legal.

Anyway it's good that people post here on boards.ie and let people know that the -30% is not off a previous price but off a price incresed just for this 'sale'

Boo

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

New sale this week -30% (voucher 30%) but for the prpose of the sale item is €120. Item never was sold at €120, it's just increased €120 for the sale.

Anyway it's good that people post here on boards.ie and let people know that the -30% is not off a previous price but off a price incresed just for this 'sale'

Boo

It's not a sale , it's not even a "sale", they don't call it a "sale" or a sale because it isn't and they know that and they are cute whoors.

It's a bloody promotion. And certainly the Dunnes one is handy for the day-to-day stuff which you have to buy anyway (and is even handier for some discounted items which get 20/30% back on the original price and then x euro discount at the till [not all discounts work]).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

A little help:

December: we give you 30% off because we are a good company and love our customers, item now at €8

In that example, the price rise in November was 20% not 120%.
    120% of €10 is €12 which would bring the price to €22. The price rise was 20%. I can't say I've noticed my local Tesco doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

A little help:

OP and many, many other people are assuming TESCO is raising prices prior giving rebates to make it look like giving huge discounts.
    would that not then cost €22??

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

luvlylady wrote: »
    In that example, the price rise in November was 20% not 120%.
    120% of €10 is €12 which would bring the price to €22. The price rise was 20%. I can't say I've noticed my local Tesco doing this.

Its called a typo. Is this not obvious to you especially when the calculation result was 12? The OP put an extra 0 on.

You say you haven't noticed? Did you check? In October, November, December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

A little help:

Its called a typo. Is this not obvious to you especially when the calculation result was 12? The OP put an extra 0 on.

Someone please buy a Tesco calculator:
    1st. new price is 120% (not rise) 100%=€10, 20%=€2, 120%=€12
    2nd. 30%*€12=€3.6 therefore 30% off = €12-€3.6= €8.4 (sale price)
    3rd. Actual total reduction from €10 to €8.4 is 16%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Boo

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure this is actually an illegal practice.
    Surely they cannot just make up a number and then say they will give 30% back off it. Surely there has to be some substance in the 'marked' pre-sale price (either for sale at that price at some time or RRP).Boo

Yep, as far as I can recall, an item's stated pre-sale price means that the item must have been available for purchase at that price for a continuous period of 28 days (i.e. 28 consecutive days) at any stage within the 3 months prior to the sale. However, I am open to correction on this and haven't read up on the area in a while, it may have changed.

Therefore, if the item in the example you gave above was never priced at €120 for 28 days straight over October/November/December, then Tesco are breaking the law (however, I'm not sure if it'll count if it's money back on clubcard or whatever though I'd imagine it would... is the item's pre-sale price actually advertised? This is all that should matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Publin wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure this is actually an illegal practice.

Yep, as far as I can recall, an item's stated pre-sale price means that the item must have been available for purchase at that price for a continuous period of 28 days (i.e. 28 consecutive days) at any stage within the 3 months prior to the sale. However, I am open to correction on this and haven't read up on the area in a while, it may have changed.

Therefore, if the item in the example you gave above was never priced at €120 for 28 days straight over October/November/December, then Tesco are breaking the law (however, I'm not sure if it'll count if it's money back on clubcard or whatever though I'd imagine it would... is the item's pre-sale price actually advertised? This is all that should matter).

Is this just a hypothetical situation or can someone give an actual example of this happening in Tesco?

Advertisement