Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airport security articles

• 15-12-2008 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

well lads,

security gates at the airport...

ive been on countless flights and only stopped once for having a a foam baseball bat when I was like 5 (mean security gaurds, I really felt like hitting them with the bat afterwards)

Ive travelled through alot with the laptop and it gets the usual ion spectromotry job and its grand (it's a common item though)

what I want to know if anyone has ever had any good or bad experience with the following items. (ill be bringin what I can home come christmas, itl be busy so they might be a little less tolerant keep in mind)

20" flatscreen monitor
    206bw.jpg

big portable hard drive with wires and things in a hidden outer casing (even id feel suspicious about this)
    wdfMyBook_Premium_2.jpg

xbox360
    xbox_360_main_img_060605.jpg

[Reference to explosives removed by mod]

what do you guys think? Id hate to be told "no, cant come through with that" cause id have to either throw my flight away or throe the product away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

ryanair airport by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

[Explosives reference removed by mod]

for god's sake though, don't attempt to bring an Umbrella through. They have a real bee in their bonnet about umbrellas at the moment :confused:

so whats the story anyway if they do refuse to allow me with something that should be allowed?

what can I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

so whats the story anyway if they do refuse to allow me with something that should be allowed?

what can I do?

I think the long and the short of it is, you're up the proverbail creek. you either check it in or dump it.

The security guys appear to be a law unto themselves, i think when you hand in your boarding pass for inspection, you hand over your civil rights as well.

personally, i would go through as the model passenger, all smiles and manners, I am convinced if they like you the more you can get away with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

what can I do?

In Dublin I'd say tell them that your going to check it in with your other luggage and then go back round and through the other security area and try again. Other airports where there is only the one queue to get through it depends on if you think they are about to change shifts or not so that you do get the same guy again.

The most I've given up to them though has been cans of aerosol and those deadly bottles of water that I forgot that I had in my bags. I do have genuinely "dangerous" things in my carry on on every trip though and they never actually notice them unless I tell them about them, drug/ syringes/ needles. The one time that a junior "security" guy did actually try and take them off me though I just kept telling him "Non" ( was in Geneva ) until his supervisor came along and told him he was being thick.

Are you planning on having those items as carry on or in the hold though? In the hold the security won't care, it's the baggage handlers that you'd want to be worried about. For carry on it's the Ryanair person at the gate that you should be concerned about as they are now stopping people who have more than one bag and if it's oversized as several airports, they don't care leaving Dublin though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭oztots

I reckon you should give all your stuff to someone else as a christmas present.

I know some very poor interns around the hamburg area.

well not "give", but I might loan someone some of my stuff for the duration of the trip.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Have you received this from Ryanair yet?

•PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY ONE ITEM OF CABIN BAGGAGE PER PASSENGER (excluding infants) WITH A MAXIMUM WEIGHT OF 10KG AND DIMENSIONS OF 55CM X 40CM X 20CM - http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=cabinbaggageallowance

Hope you can fit them all into one bag that size. I'm sure you are aware Airport Security do not have a sense of humor. Even consider asking another passenger and enjoy Christmas in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sdonn_1 wrote: »

what if they ask me to prove it....."have a slice so"....

• Advertisement

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Have you received this from Ryanair yet?

•PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY ONE ITEM OF CABIN BAGGAGE PER PASSENGER (excluding infants) WITH A MAXIMUM WEIGHT OF 10KG AND DIMENSIONS OF 55CM X 40CM X 20CM - http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=cabinbaggageallowance

my hand luggage bag is exactly within those specifications and has been used many a time. the monitor I just tried fits exactly into it. my laptop and hdd go on top of that (Plus a few socks and boxers for padding) but you can imagine what its gonna look like on the xray..... :D

and the xbox gets snuffed to checked in baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

what if they ask me to prove it....."have a slice so"....

Then you run like hell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

On Sunday at LGW I am going to experience Ryanair for the first time in about 20 years. The days of the RomBac's.

Just checked my carry on. 50cm x 30cm x 30cm. Do we have to supply the tape measure so Ryanair can check it? :D
    I suppose with the time of year all airlines will have to be pretty strict on carry on's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Less of the semtex jokes please.

OK, I'll bite.

In my experience, the most common seized item from hold baggage is Acid Battery holding items.

-Car chargers
    -Rechargable Torches (most numerous)
    -Toy weaponry (sorry, it's down in print that it's not allowed. If you show it to the airline beforehand, there might be leeway.)
    -Camping Gas Cylinders
    -Diving Tanks (If they're sealed airtight. If they're open to air they're allowed through, but only after they're verified by opening the bag and looking at them.)

Going through the list of items you're planning to bring, I can definitively say whether it'll get through or not, assuming it's all going down into the hold
    20" flatscreen monitor

Grand.
    big portable hard drive with wires and things in a hidden outer casing

Grand. That's what X-Ray machines are for.
    xbox360

Grand

[MOD EDIT]Semtex hilarity removed[/MODEDIT]

Hi Seaslacker,

Thanks a million for your response. it's very much appreciated.

however; you said:
    Going through the list of items you're planning to bring, I can definitively say whether it'll get through or not, assuming it's all going down into the hold

I actually plan on taking it as Hand luggage with me. I know very well that all the items can go in the cargo hold no problem at all. but it's hand luggage that I want to clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

OP, you are entitled to one item of hand luggage. If it fits within the specified dimensions your airline lists as acceptable for hand luggage, and if it isn't on the list of items they say can't be carried as hand luggage, then you're fine. The best advice here is to contact your airline directly and speak to them about it.

I've also updated the charter today, any mention, joke or otherwise, of bringing explosives on board an aircraft will merit a week's ban, and any subsequent offense by the same user will warrant a permanent ban.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement