Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run-off from driveway

• 15-12-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Will be putting down gravel on the driveway & around the new house early in the new year & was wondering how you control run-off & prevent water gathering in pools.
    I've noticed some standing water in the 4-inch down behind the house following recent heavy rain (its taking a good while to soak away) - I think it might be just where the builders have discarded caked mortar, skimcoat etc but it set me thinking about how this could be avoided with the finished drive?

I know when tarmacadam is laid, the contractors have to allow for a "fall" - but what is the story when you're just having loose gravel?

Thanks as ever

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

It sounds like the rainwater is not infiltrating the ground as fast as it falls. We had a similar problem a few years ago. We dug up trenchs and ran french drains/land drains surrounded in a coarse gravel. We then linked it up to a surface water AJ at the front of the house. It is easy enough to do yourself, site area pending. The drains and gravel are cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Sound - thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

40701085 wrote: »
    Sound - thanks for that

yeah the most effective way is by french drain. but i would recommed that you spend a little extra money on creating a filteres french drain. this just involves lining the trench with geotextile (terram 1000) and have a perforated land drain pipe at the bottom of the trench leading to you drainage.

the ideal material for the backfill is cl 505. its a large round gravel a which will withstand compaction so when you put your driveway in you will not see a sag

Advertisement