Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an iphone 3g with a sim card adapter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

strecker wrote: »
    Not sure what your question is! Buy an iphone and one of these:
    http://www.simable.com/

will that convert an 02 to voda, any drawbacks?

will that convert an 02 to voda, any drawbacks?

Yeah, you can put, say, your o2 sim into a locked voda handset, and the handset 'thinks' it's unlocked!
    No drawback afaik... And since you're not actually unlocking the phone, your warranty remains intact ;)
    i used one my vodafone sims with it in an o2 c902 without probs...

tbh though, I haven't researched any disadvantages ;) i'm sure there are some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

The simable adaptor didn't work with the iPhone 3g when it came out first. Maybe someone who has a recent version could comment, but as the Dev team are expecting to release an unlock for the iphone 3g at Xmas, you should keep your money in your pocket - sim adaptor won't be needed once the unlock comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Cyrus wrote: »
    Briefly what are the disadvantages folks?
    strecker wrote: »
    Not sure what your question is!

:rolleyes:

Cyrus, I dont have any experience with sim adaptors, but I've read into them before. (this was a few months back so I'm not sure how things have progressed since) It seems the problems are to do with -

Size - People have broken the 'sim tray' on their iPhone due to some being a little too big.
    Functionality - With some adapters, the phone will function except for 3G, or 3G will function but sms will not, or sms will work and phone wont etc.etc..
    Stability - Similar to the functionality problem, on some forums, some users boasted how their all their features worked when they inserted the sim adaptor, a bit of an in-your-face to those having problems with the same brand, only to post ten minutes later saying their 3G/SMS/Phone had stopped working :D

Having said that it seems some people on here haven't had much trouble with them. I'd prefer this method of unlock, rather than software unlock (when available) because you aren't voiding your warranty and all firmware updates should run smoothly, without fear of bricking the phone. I reckon if you research it and find a decent one with good user reviews, you should be sorted.

My opinion tho, wait for the Nokia 5800 or N97!
    *Runs from iPhone fanboi mob*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

decided on the samsung omnia instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

CivilEx wrote: »
    The simable adaptor didn't work with the iPhone 3g when it came out first. Maybe someone who has a recent version could comment, but as the Dev team are expecting to release an unlock for the iphone 3g at Xmas, you should keep your money in your pocket - sim adaptor won't be needed once the unlock comes out

linky?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

CivilEx wrote: »

Apparently, or so they claim, the new simable adaptor does work with the 3g iphone, but yeah, if that unlock thingy becomes available, it's probably a good-er alternative...

Cyrus wrote: »
    decided on the samsung omnia instead :D

Good. Seemed alright when I bought one for my brother! But I had to return it after 24 hrs - seemed that particular handset had fw issues...the widgets drained memory (after 2 hours of doing nithing with the phone, apps would refuse to start for lack of memory. Overnight, date and time reverted to factory state...)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

You have to cut off the top of the original sim with the xsim solution. Don't know if it's the same with simable.

Advertisement