Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Dealers in the ROI - RIP

Options
  • 15-12-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

First post, but this just another example of how we are being royally fleeced in the ROI on all levels.

So, I have an 02 Honda Accord that needs a new timing belt change soon (4,000 miles or so - I was starting to save for it!). I am going to be keeping this car for a long time, gave me not an ounce of bother up to now. Went to a Honda dealer in Dublin for a quote - €800 for this work. Says its €400 or so to buy the belt (what is it made from - gold?) and €400 minimum to fit (4 hours by €100). Some independents will do it cheaper, but I have an issue in that I can't find a garage that someone personally recommends, also and issue with standing over this work / waranty issues. Maybe get it done for €400 - €500 or so this way.

So I ring a Honda dealer in Belfast - as a check. I nearly spat my coffee out with the price. £196 (incl VAT), fitted and warranty. Will do in a day in January, any one that suits.

Now, I know labour costs / VAT / overheads / petrol up and back etc etc are to be factored, but at today's exchange rate this is roughly a quarter of the dealer price here. What the f**k is going on - are we all eejits down here?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oris wrote: »
    Now, I know labour costs / VAT / overheads / petrol up and back etc etc are to be factored, but at today's exchange rate this is roughly a quarter of the dealer price here. What the f**k is going on - are we all eejits down here?
    Dealers are increasing their margin on repairs etc. to compensate for falling sales and to be frank the answer is yes as well since people was (some still are) paying such prices instead of shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I got my timing belt done not so long ago. 600euro VW main dealers in Kerry for belt,tensioners, waterpump aux belt (for air con),fan belt and diesel filter. I actually went to a main skoda dealers first was it was closer to me to see how much they would charge as I know they service vw's there in addition to knowing that the superb has the same engine as in the Passat I drive... guess what they refused to do they work! there excuse was that they were too busy. My take on it was that they the enough small jobs oil services etc coming in that it wouldnt be profitable enough to do the timing belt job as it would take over the ramp for most of the day. Only thing about the free falling car market is that the wasters who are in the game will get burnt and the good dealers (who actually look after their customers) will survive as they will get repeat business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

First post, but this just another example of how we are being royally fleeced in the ROI on all levels.

So, I have an 02 Honda Accord that needs a new timing belt change soon (4,000 miles or so - I was starting to save for it!). I am going to be keeping this car for a long time, gave me not an ounce of bother up to now. Went to a Honda dealer in Dublin for a quote - €800 for this work. Says its €400 or so to buy the belt (what is it made from - gold?) and €400 minimum to fit (4 hours by €100). Some independents will do it cheaper, but I have an issue in that I can't find a garage that someone personally recommends, also and issue with standing over this work / waranty issues. Maybe get it done for €400 - €500 or so this way.

So I ring a Honda dealer in Belfast - as a check. I nearly spat my coffee out with the price. £196 (incl VAT), fitted and warranty. Will do in a day in January, any one that suits.

That is outrageous ! Pure ****ing greed & I hope this recession wipes companies like that out. It may teach others to treat their customers with a bit more respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

yes Actually alot of irish people are idiots, most of them run the place too:mad:, the rest voted them in.

Honda are a pain in the bollix, was this dealer near ucd at all?? because hes useless, i hope he goes under tbh, greedy bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Nody wrote: »
    Dealers are increasing their margin on repairs etc. to compensate for falling sales and to be frank the answer is yes as well since people was (some still are) paying such prices instead of shopping around.

Check out the motors forum, some of the prices being quoted for timing belt work recently would give you a heart attack. Also there seems to be an increase in what you might call "catastrophic" diagnosis on the part of certain garages... 200 Euro jobs turning into 2K repair jobs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Morlar wrote: »
    That is outrageous ! Pure ****ing greed & I hope this recession wipes companies like that out. It may teach others to treat their customers with a bit more respect.

Actually it is the contrary that will happen, these businesses will survive and the honest people will go out of business because the same people moaning on here will always go to the main dealer because they think other indy outlets are not good enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Think we've been here before very recently......

/runs away from another can of worms:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Actually it is the contrary that will happen, these businesses will survive and the honest people will go out of business because the same people moaning on here will always go to the main dealer because they think other indy outlets are not good enough...

The more that people become aware of the ridiculous variances in prices for the work the better in my view.

Ideally they should find somewhere south of the border that offers similair value (as the northern place in the example above) but if there is no choice then people should take their business elsewhere. It is pretty much all that they can do to combat those silly parts and labour prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

nothing new, did the NCT a few years ago to be told the exhaust had a crack in it causing error in emissions was told to go get it fixed that day come back and they would pass me as I had travelled far.

went to main dealer €800 plus labour, went to local motor factors €300 and they fitted it for free because i told them about the NCT, thats customer service.

it the places with names over the door that charge the most even "advance pit stop" and "fit for tyres" never mind dealers as well.

my car needs a major overhaul service and I'm afraid to get it priced might head up north for a day and get it done, free parking while im in at the shops saving more money(if ya know what i mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi all, I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla (carvan). Its past its warranty, 82k on the clock but the DOE test was due recently and I needed the belt done. I rang a Toyota dealer in Ashbourne who quoted me 500+ off the top of their heads over the phone, 350 labour they said (yea, I'd love to meet a mechanic earning those figures)
    I then rand the test centre (a Seat dealer) 400-450 they quoted but depending on how they get on I was told.

Dealer or no dealer I'm not pushed as my van aint going anywhere so I'm not one bit worried about main dealer service history. I contact a local garage, heavy diesel mechanic, was told couldn't quote but assured me it would not be main dealer prices. I left it with him and charged 200euro! Absolutely chuffed with it. Given receipt, the whole works and told to bring my business back to them the next time, I most certainly will my new friend :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zen15

had to get both wing mirrors on my fiesta replaced, owing to skanger behaviour, quoted by ford main dealer 125 each plus 50 each to replace, to expensive so to first stop wanted 425 for the job , went to micks garage got 2 new braned for 150 and fitted them my self , couldn't believe how easy it was to do, less then 20 mins. so f%^&k the motor service trade here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

In response to the last line of your post...no we are not all eejits down here but we are spineless unfortunatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

zen15 wrote: »
    had to get both wing mirrors on my fiesta replaced, owing to skanger behaviour, quoted by ford main dealer 125 each plus 50 each to replace, to expensive so to first stop wanted 425 for the job , went to micks garage got 2 new braned for 150 and fitted them my self , couldn't believe how easy it was to do, less then 20 mins. so f%^&k the motor service trade here.

Did the same thing regarding fitting it myself. Had a front passenger foglight unit MK4 Fiesta that needed replacing for NCT pass. My local Ford dealer quoted me €78 just for the unit excluding fitting (you can add a few zeros). Looked on ebay and found one in the UK for £14 and £3 p&p, ordered it and recieved it in two days. It took me a whole ten minutes to fit it.

It's like everything else, you have to shop around and be prepared to get you hands dirty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arnold72

Hi las I agree with all the arguements over dealers milking people .... but believe or not there are some good out there.... i have a skoda superb bought from a dealer cheaper than you would get from the classifieds srviced timing belt and 6 month warranty which came in handy then when money was tight the wife needed a car as the timing belt went on the alfa 156 which was just 3 mths old bought private but was told it was done...it wasnt so money down the drain...got her an 05 octavia because we were a repeat customer she got 5 new tyres full service timing belt valet car left showroom condition 6 mth waranty cheaper than the ads again.. anything she thought was wrong we just go straight back and no questions asked...then recently i crashed mine needed repairing , a local mechanic tried to rip me off charging 1000 euro for labour i chanced the dealer and 1000 for the lot including service and repairs and i`m driving an 08 courtesy car... how good is that...its just my faith in people is restored when its not always about how much they can make off you its we will treat you right... this is honest and non biast opinon...hopefully someone will benifit from it.. it was in T.M.C. motors in NAVAN the skoda dealers and trevor who owns the operation is hands on no bull people person... youve nothing to lose by asking for him and getting a price you`d be surprised how well you will do...hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

arnold72 It's quite hard to read your post as it is one long continuous paragraphy without structure or capital letters etc. In future, it would make life easier if you were to add some structure to your posts.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 42 arnold72

no problem will do just rushed that a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zen15

Just to continue the story of my long running Fiesta . it die'd on Dorset st. at rush hour , ( thanks fellow drivers, It really did help you beebing your horn and shouting out the window at me , while I pushed it to side of road)
    got it towed to Ford main dealer near there who infromed me it would be 2600 minimum to repair , 1 part was 1100 and another was 700 and then labour and vat on top , I said no and they wanted 97 for looking at it .
    Had it towed to my friends in castlblaney who took the part out cleaned it and put it back , working fine , total price 600 ........
    Congratulations to Trunk road motors , couldn't have been more helpful ... also the tow truck guys , well done
    As for ford never again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In my reluctant visits to main dealers over the years, I've had a poor experience almost every time, theres almost always some form of rip off involved.

However the Irish consumer has a very poor record for being informed and shopping around. Which is how dealers can still operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

zen15 wrote: »
    Just to continue the story of my long running Fiesta . it die'd on Dorset st. at rush hour , ( thanks fellow drivers, It really did help you beebing your horn and shouting out the window at me , while I pushed it to side of road)
    got it towed to Ford main dealer near there who infromed me it would be 2600 minimum to repair , 1 part was 1100 and another was 700 and then labour and vat on top , I said no and they wanted 97 for looking at it .
    Had it towed to my friends in castlblaney who took the part out cleaned it and put it back , working fine , total price 600 ........
    Congratulations to Trunk road motors , couldn't have been more helpful ... also the tow truck guys , well done
    As for ford never again....

What did they clean for 600 euros ?
    And what exactly was the problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think they swapped the car myself...

• Advertisement
Advertisement