Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your Haggling Strategies?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

OK. Times are tough. We'd all like to be able to go into a shop and argue/bargain/haggle with them and get the price down. Some of us (i.e. me) are crap at it. I know it and the salesman knows it. So, for those of you who are inveterate hagglers,what are your best strategies and tips? Some of you were even haggling at the height of the Celtic Tiger when shops didn't care at all about their customers. How do you do it?biggrin.gif

P.S. Mine is:

Me (going red): Is that the best you can do?
    Salesman: Yes, to be honest I'm losing money at that price.
    Me (going redder): Are you? OK I'll add 10% on for you so.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

Haggling I think is best joined with shopping around. For example, if you know a hover is 150 in Curry's and 175 in Harvey Norman's then go into HN and say - "Hey, those guys are selling the same thing for 150". They're likely to at least match the price and should give it for cheaper. If anyone only offers to match it then always say ok, I'll go back to the other place

Also, you should also be prepared to just walk out IMO. If you ask for a discount and don't get it then leave. That's what I've started doing. We've been paying too much for too long!!!

You could also ask if they have student or senior discounts and ask for the same discount or go back with a senior of student to get the discount.

The most financially sound mate I have refuses to pay full price for pretty much anything.... this should tell us something.

Good luck with the next purchase:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cooperla wrote: »
    For example, if you know a hover is 150 in Curry's and 175 in Harvey Norman's then go into HN and say - "Hey, those guys are selling the same thing for 150". They're likely to at least match the price and should give it for cheaper.

Even if you do not know just BS them, better with a mate with you, know which you want but do not say it just yet, then say "I am looking for a microwave", then go along, and say to your mate "oh, that is the good one, remember?", then the mate can go, yeah but it was €150 in the other place.

When buying small electronics I was always saying to a mate, "its €50 less to get that online in a decent shop, and about €80 less on ebay, only reason to get it here is easier to return within warranty". This way you have leeway, i.e. you are not insisting on them to match the €50 less you can get it for.

The other is to say "is there any accessories that come with this?" for cameras etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Learn how to haggle from the shop keeper...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love when people used to try haggle the price when I worked in HMV

Me "thats 26.99 please"
    Silly Person "We'll call it 20?"
    Me " 26.99, thats the price"
    Silly Person " ah go on"
    Me "This isnt a market, thats the price"
    Silly Person "its cheaper in Tesco"
    Me "go there then"
    Silly Person ".....do you take laser?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

it really annoys me when people try to haggle in a department store. it's not a stall.that's the reccommended retail price. if we wanted to lower the price we'd have sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

krudler wrote: »

Me "thats 26.99 please"
    Silly Person "We'll call it 20?"
    Me " 26.99, thats the price"
    Silly Person " ah go on"
    Me "This isnt a market, thats the price"
    Silly Person "its cheaper in Tesco"
    Me "go there then"
    Silly Person ".....do you take laser?"

Some people are so heartless.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

it really annoys me when people try to haggle in a department store. it's not a stall.that's the reccommended retail price. if we wanted to lower the price we'd have sale.

Yep, very annoying. Especially when the item is already on sale. I'm not even able to lower a price for any reason, customer usually shuts up even before I get a manager over to shut them up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

cooperla wrote: »
    Also, you should also be prepared to just walk out IMO.
    This is a required skill in any haggling, followed by a general idea of what other stores are pricing it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Although, I remember a colleague of mine going into Brown Thomas to look for a sofa (expensive tastes). This guy is the Master-Of-All-Haggling. He would go into a sweet shop as a kid and get a ten penny bag for 8 pence. Anyway, he was haggling with the shop assistant, who was trying to explain she couldn't give any reduction (it was on sale already). She called a manager who explained the same thing. The manager also said "this isn't that kind of shop sir".

My friend persisted and got his discount. A victory of stubborness, brass balls and good solid haggling style over shop intransigence. Maybe they gave him the discount just to get rid of him, but he got his discount.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's relatively easy to get discounts above the normal advertised if you're buying a suit of clothes and sundries in Clerys, Arnott's, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

rubadub wrote: »
    Even if you do not know just BS them, better with a mate with you, know which you want but do not say it just yet, then say "I am looking for a microwave", then go along, and say to your mate "oh, that is the good one, remember?", then the mate can go, yeah but it was €150 in the other place.

When buying small electronics I was always saying to a mate, "its €50 less to get that online in a decent shop, and about €80 less on ebay, only reason to get it here is easier to return within warranty". This way you have leeway, i.e. you are not insisting on them to match the €50 less you can get it for.

The other is to say "is there any accessories that come with this?" for cameras etc.

Working in electricals I have to say, it annoys me so much to hear people moaning about price. Do you haggle a bar of chocolate in spar?

No, you don't get 10%. Most of the time the margin on products is less then 10%. You're getting paid the same amount as you did months ago. This store is taking in less money, so I'll protect my margin and let you walk out of my store with nothing. It means that the person who does pay the RRP ensures the jobs in the place are safe for another little while.

I've had numerous people walk out, and eventually come back to buy things. The worst thing now is people asking to match online prices or NI. The price under the unit is the actual price of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im brutal at haggling. I normally plan on been the tough, take no crap guy then walk over and pay the full price.

Best I ever done was a few years ago. buying meself a motorbike. Had 8000 in cash to hand over to me man for the bike. parents said to me not to give him all of it. I thought hmm ok then. Went into the shop said ot me man, me parents told me not to give you all the money, I want some money off it. He asks me how much, I stand there all nervous and say 100 if thats ok. Fella laughed at me and said he wasnt gonna fight over 100 quid. Felt like some numpty. Went outstarted up the bike and had to go straight to the petrol station. the fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You guys, do some reading.

RecommendedRetail Price

An invitation to offer....

A price sticker is the price that the retailer would like.

I haggle a lot with the big items (normally aim for 10% off or free delivery or a free something), or in markets etc.

dont bother with places that either don't have the best prices or don't have an open mind, cheaper elsewhere normally.

Remember that it is about doing a deal that is good for the retailer and the consumer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

It means that the person who does pay the RRP ensures the jobs in the place are safe for another little while.

The person who does pay the RRP is daft. I used to work in a big electrical shop too. Customers haggled with us all the time. If we had room to maneuver we did. Otherwise we just told them we couldn't afford it. It's part of shopping. No big deal. Most shops I've bought off since will give something off. I don't bother haggling for a couple of Euro but if I'm giving them a few hundred Euro worth of business and they don't want to haggle at all I just go somewhere that will. Let the guy who pays the RRP protect your jobs. I'd prefer to protect the money in my wallet.
    so I'll protect my margin and let you walk out of my store with nothing

I never saw the logic in this. If the margin was 5% and I could make the sale by knocking off 1% or by throwing in something else that was worth 1% or 2% (if you took the marked price) is that not better than letting the customer walk out of the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Easy

Arrive in electrical store , you will get usually 5% off for trying at all . If they are sticking on 4% pull out wedge of cash and say how much for cash . They say 4% ...you say OK .

Then put wedge back in pocket and pull out Visa card , say 'stick it on that so ' and they will give you the 5% once they see the plastic instead of cash :)

I never saw the logic in this. If the margin was 5% and I could make the sale by knocking off 1% or by throwing in something else that was worth 1% or 2% (if you took the marked price) is that not better than letting the customer walk out of the shop.

Absolutely. Is it not better to make a sale at a reduced margin (i.e. margin being your element of profit) than not to make a sale at all?

In other words, is 2% profit not better than 0% profit?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Easy

Arrive in electrical store , you will get usually 5% off for trying at all . If they are sticking on 4% pull out wedge of cash and say how much for cash . They say 4% ...you say OK .

Then put wedge back in pocket and pull out Visa card , say 'stick it on that so ' and they will give you the 5% once they see the plastic instead of cash :)

Nice one:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Tester46 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Is it not better to make a sale at a reduced margin (i.e. margin being your element of profit) than not to make a sale at all?

In other words, is 2% profit not better than 0% profit?
    Not really, let me give you a prime example, renting (offices or similar). Say you have someone renting the office at 100 Euro giving you 10 Euro margin. Your office is now filled to 60% occupancy. Someone comes along and offers to rent the other 40% for 95 Euro giving you a 5 Euro margin. Some cash is better then empty space right? Wrong for two reasons.

First of all you may get someone else paying the full price and hence make more money even if it takes a bit longer (expected chance to get someone has to exceed X% over Y duration etc. but anyway). Secondly if you start lowering your margin for one customer you're at risk of having the other customer demanding the same reduction in rent. Now while the person is renting out 100% of the space they actually make less money then before!

Nody wrote: »
    Not really, let me give you a prime example, renting (offices or similar). Say you have someone renting the office at 100 Euro giving you 10 Euro margin. Your office is now filled to 60% occupancy. Someone comes along and offers to rent the other 40% for 95 Euro giving you a 5 Euro margin. Some cash is better then empty space right? Wrong for two reasons.

First of all you may get someone else paying the full price and hence make more money even if it takes a bit longer (expected chance to get someone has to exceed X% over Y duration etc. but anyway). Secondly if you start lowering your margin for one customer you're at risk of having the other customer demanding the same reduction in rent. Now while the person is renting out 100% of the space they actually make less money then before!

Sorry, but that's a bad example for two reasons:

1. Selling electrical items, clothes, etc. is not comparable to letting office space. If you refuse to sell to me and you hold onto a (for example) TV hoping for another customer who will pay full price, the TV is depreciating in value each day (it is getting older and older and new models are coming out and other stores are cutting prices). Office space does not decpeciate in value in the same way.

2. If you sell a TV to me at a 5% margin and to someone else for a 10% margin, there is a slim enough chance that either of us will ever know what the other paid. If you are letting offices next door to each other at different rates, there is a much, much higher chance that the tenants will find out.

Plus, don't be afraid to get a reputation for selling at good prices - look at Ryanair. No one is forcing you to sell below cost or at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I don't bother haggling for a couple of Euro but if I'm giving them a few hundred Euro worth of business and they don't want to haggle at all I just go somewhere that will.

Your few hundred Euro might not make any profit though. I don't know where you worked, but in my place the prices are low enough that some items make so little margin that you have to ensure people leave with the essentials (cables, memory cards, et al) just to make some sort of money in a sale.

Where I am is not commission based, but I know someone who works in a commission based business who says that in one year he's lost so much money because the margin's are so tight (his commission is based on what margin he makes, not 1% of all sales put through or whatever).

What you're talking about is quite reasonable in large sales actually. However, I'm referring to the day-in day-out "what can you give this to me for?" rubbish on small items. On bigger items (or items on their own - i.e. no package worth a crap to the business) people automatically assume they're entitled to a 10% discount because that's what we've decided to mark the price up to.

On a side note, the best quote right now is when people get pissy and say they'll go up north because it's cheaper and we won't price match. I had enough with one woman getting annoyed at me and my staff (as if I set the price of things) that I went and found out the price of the item in France, and told her to go there instead as even with Ryanair flight costs, she'd probably break even on the cost in our store, but get a nice holiday out of it. Incidentally, she bought in our store in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i love this "room to wiggle" stuff-i work in a clothes shop and the price on the tag is the price you pay, unless the item is damaged. we don't do discounts for paying in cash. or when the person is buying several items.

i love this "room to wiggle" stuff-i work in a clothes shop and the price on the tag is the price you pay, unless the item is damaged. we don't do discounts for paying in cash. or when the person is buying several items.

But if someone came in spending €1,000 on ten items, are you seriously saying the owner of the shop wouldn't give a discount rather than see €1,000 in sales walk out the door?

If they have that attitude, I'd be updating my CV if I were you - the shop won't be there for much longer...

So if they pay by credit card you have to pay 1% -> 3% to the bank. If they offer cash you won't discount that amount? It's not room to wiggle. It's either give a discount for cash or pay the percentage to the bank. Either way you don't get the money.

I'd always prefer to give the customer the percentage rather than the bank. It's a part of customer service and some shoppers return to stores that give them good service.

If they have that attitude, I'd be updating my CV if I were you - the shop won't be there for much longer...

+1 to that. I've shopped in many countries. I always put the attitude of the shopkeepers here down to the boom. Many (not all definitely) shops don't care about customers at all. If you didn't buy there were 10 customers behind you who would. Who needed customer service when there was that.

Thats gone now. Many of the shops will be going too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

krudler wrote: »
    Yep, very annoying. Especially when the item is already on sale. I'm not even able to lower a price for any reason, customer usually shuts up even before I get a manager over to shut them up.
    i love this "room to wiggle" stuff-i work in a clothes shop and the price on the tag is the price you pay, unless the item is damaged. we don't do discounts for paying in cash.

I dunno why you all get so annoyed or upset or find it amusing. Haggling does work in many cases, or do you think all these people are lying to us? So what is so wrong or amusing about people trying for it

Working in electricals I have to say, it annoys me so much to hear people moaning about price. Do you haggle a bar of chocolate in spar?
    My mate would haggle over anything, if looked like it was the owner in the sweetshop serving him he would haggle, some are amused by the balls of it and will give in. He even once tried haggling down a bus driver! and does haggle taximen all the time, just saying I am going to X and only have a tenner. He does it in big department stores too and often gets it. I remember buying a bike in town and the sales guy telling another guy to take me up to the till, the till guy asked "is this a straight sale" (which I was not supposed to hear), I only copped on later that they probably usally throw in stuff for free with a bike, but I had never asked and so missed out.

Although, I remember a colleague of mine going into Brown Thomas to look for a sofa (expensive tastes). This guy is the Master-Of-All-Haggling. He would go into a sweet shop as a kid and get a ten penny bag for 8 pence. Anyway, he was haggling with the shop assistant, who was trying to explain she couldn't give any reduction (it was on sale already). She called a manager who explained the same thing. The manager also said "this isn't that kind of shop sir".

My friend persisted and got his discount. A victory of stubborness, brass balls and good solid haggling style over shop intransigence. Maybe they gave him the discount just to get rid of him, but he got his discount.:)
    This guys mate sounds like mine, just proves it is not a waste of time. Do you really think getting a reduced price from haggling is a myth? or not even worth trying? Go look in bargain alerts. On TV3 in the morning they had a financial advisor on who got something around 50% off in a shop by offering cash and asking for a discount.

Most of the time the margin on products is less then 10%. You're getting paid the same amount as you did months ago. This store is taking in less money, so I'll protect my margin and let you walk out of my store with nothing. It means that the person who does pay the RRP ensures the jobs in the place are safe for another little while.
    My mate works as a salesman and gets a % of the profit of the item. So if he gives a discount it comes out of his pocket. e.g. say a TV is 1000, the profit is 100, and say he gets 30% of that. So he stands to make 30 on the sale. Therefore he can afford to give no more than 30 off it or it is coming out of his pocket. It obviously differs from item to item.

I'd always prefer to give the customer the percentage rather than the bank. It's a part of customer service and some shoppers return to stores that give them good service.
    Same with paypal, if an online store offers paypal or CC I go for CC, as it means the shop makes more profit and so can hopefully afford to offer me better options in the future, esp. shops I buy from a lot. Usually get a better rate with CC too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You should try working in a garage. Hagglers = headwreckers.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You should try working in a garage. Hagglers = headwreckers.

If you mean a mechanic's garage, then that's the perfect place to haggle. When I ask my mechanic what price my car service is, he looks up to the heavens for inspiration, rubs his forehead scans the loose nuts and bolts lying on the floor and then looks at me a bit sheepishly and gives the price.

He knows he's making it up on the spot and so do I. The reason I don't haggle with him is because his price is always low and he's a great mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's a bit different though. I do the same when I'm half way through a job that's taking longer than expected and I'm asked how much do I think it'll be when it's finished. I've to think how long have I spent doing it, how far do I still have to travel, how long will that take, how long should it take to unload considering it took longer to load then expected, then tot it all up together and because it has taken longer than expected and will thus be more expensive than I said it would be, I try keep it as low as possible so a haggle wouldn't be much entertained in this situation, I'd give a euro off maybe as I always appreciate a haggle :P

cormie wrote: »
    That's a bit different though. I do the same when I'm half way through a job that's taking longer than expected and I'm asked how much do I think it'll be when it's finished. I've to think how long have I spent doing it, how far do I still have to travel, how long will that take, how long should it take to unload considering it took longer to load then expected, then tot it all up together and because it has taken longer than expected and will thus be more expensive than I said it would be, I try keep it as low as possible so a haggle wouldn't be much entertained in this situation, I'd give a euro off maybe as I always appreciate a haggle :P

Yeah, but I always ask my mechanic the price after he has finished the service.

Maybe that's a bit stoopid of me, but hey, his price is always good anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Yeah, but I always ask my mechanic the price after he has finished the service.

Maybe that's a bit stoopid of me, but hey, his price is always good anyway.

A lot of people have an issue with this when they come into a repair bill up over 300 Euro and refuse to pay on the basis that they were not given the price beforehand or they understood the price to be a lot less, based on their last service, etc.

I can never understand why people haggle in garages, it's extremely frustrating when people start doing this and you know they wouldn't try it anywhere else. I'd love to see the same people getting paid on a Friday and their boss haggling with them regarding what they would be paid for the week that they worked.

Advertisement